Capture.PNG

I hope this sticks until the start of the season.:hearteyes:

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very bullish on Wingard at this stage.

If Walters can have a 13 point jump to a 100 in a mid role and a full year at 28 and in his 11th season, then I have faith Wingard under Clarkson can return to a 97-98 average and a full year at 26 and in his 9th.
He won't be first tagged, his skill and class will complement the workmanship and gutrunning of other mids.

87.8 late in the year from 7 games, coming back from an injury lay off and little preseason.

If he hits round 1 with any sort of steam I think I'll have him as my speculative pick.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

If Walters can have a 13 point jump to a 100 in a mid role and a full year at 28 and in his 11th season, then I have faith Wingard under Clarkson can return to a 97-98 average and a full year at 26 and in his 9th.
He won't be first tagged, his skill and class will complement the workmanship and gutrunning of other mids.

87.8 late in the year from 7 games, coming back from an injury lay off and little preseason.

If he hits round 1 with any sort of steam I think I'll have him as my speculative pick.

Will he be playing as a pure mid though?

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Jonathan Ceglar.

Averaged 95 in the last 3 games last season when he was given full time ruck duties with McEvoy playing key defense. How did Hawthorn go in these 3 games? They beat GWS and West Coast away (arguably 2 of the hardest games to win) and Gold Coast at home.

Hawthorn traded away Pittonet in the off season too which leaves them with basically just Ceglar and McEvoy as rucks.

Very likely to go 90+ over the season IMO all things considered.
I have a mate whos an avid Hawks supporter who said the same thing. Big Boy has been training with the backs solely from what I've been told. He's currently in my side.

I'm very keen to hear from the Hawks crew - Ceglar. Yay or nay?

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have a mate whos an avid Hawks supporter who said the same thing. Big Boy has been training with the backs solely from what I've been told. He's currently in my side.

I'm very keen to hear from the Hawks crew - Ceglar. Yay or nay?

It does look like Big Boy will play defence with Cegs the No 1 ruck. No guarantee things stay that way though and I'm not convinced his ceiling is that high. Tempting but a no from me.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
It does look like Big Boy will play defence with Cegs the No 1 ruck. No guarantee things stay that way though and I'm not convinced his ceiling is that high. Tempting but a no from me.
I think I'm going to run with it. Plays well as #1 from memory, I think he's got 90+ in him in that role. It's just about job security but BB is a natural back from what I've seen.

As somebody who would like to see his team beat Hawthorn this year, I'm fully in favour of that move. McEvoy is a better ruck than Ceglar but surely he's way too slow to be a defender. Feels like the Hawks would be weakening themselves in two positions at once.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
As somebody who would like to see his team beat Hawthorn this year, I'm fully in favour of that move. McEvoy is a better ruck than Ceglar but surely he's way too slow to be a defender. Feels like the Hawks would be weakening themselves in two positions at once.
They kicked arse against us last year playing those roles.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think I'm going to run with it. Plays well as #1 from memory, I think he's got 90+ in him in that role. It's just about job security but BB is a natural back from what I've seen.

If Ceglar is the number 1 ruck his floor is 90 IMO - in his 3 games playing sole ruck he averaged 15.6 disposals, 36 hitouts, 3.6 tackles and 3.6 marks which is very encouraging. He's not just a beanpole there to win a tap but manages to find the footy well around the ground.

He had games last season in which he picked up 20 and 26 touches as a part-time ruck to McEvoy early in the season.

He's locked in to my team at this stage and I'm stoked his ownership is 0%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL

Wingards not a mid and will never be one so i am not sure why he would come into calculations. He will give u one decent score every 5 or 6 games as hes far too inconsistant. Hes predominantly a forward and might spend some time in the midfield. Not enough to consider him

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Ceglar is the number 1 ruck his floor is 90 IMO - in his 3 games playing sole ruck he averaged 15.6 disposals, 36 hitouts, 3.6 tackles and 3.6 marks which is very encouraging. He's not just a beanpole there to win a tap but manages to find the footy well around the ground.

He had games last season in which he picked up 20 and 26 touches as a part-time ruck to McEvoy early in the season.

He's locked in to my team at this stage and I'm stoked his ownership is 0%

By extension if Big Boy plays key back, it should free up Sicily to roam free being a highly punchable ball pig.

I like that ripple effect

Wingards not a mid and will never be one so i am not sure why he would come into calculations. He will give u one decent score every 5 or 6 games as hes far too inconsistant. Hes predominantly a forward and might spend some time in the midfield.

This is a hugely uninformed opinion.

shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL
This is a hugely uninformed opinion.
Uninformed??? How long has Wingard been in the AFL system? 10 years and his had the same role every year which is why hes never been relevant in SC. Why would anything be any different now. He will never be a mid that will score well enough to justify having him

Uninformed??? How long has Wingard been in the AFL system? 10 years and his had the same role every year which is why hes never been relevant in SC. Why would anything be any different now. He will never be a mid that will score well enough to justify having him

He averaged 93 ppg as a pure mid in 2017, 103 ppg as a pure mid in the second half of the year in 2018, and 87 ppg as a pure mid after his return from injury in 2019. There you go. Now you're informed.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He averaged 93 ppg as a pure mid in 2017, 103 ppg as a pure mid in the second half of the year in 2018, and 87 ppg as a pure mid after his return from injury in 2019. There you go. Now you're informed.

I'm slowly jumping on the Chad wagon. Not quite fully on board though.

Unlike some of the other slightly cheaper discount forwards (eg Acres, Brayshaw, McDonald and Lynch) he has a better demonstrated scoring history, with three years averaging 93 or better. Hawks look more likely to let him play in the middle given the emerging depth of our forward stocks. Even if he does spend time forward, he has shown that his high impact game can score well in SC even without a lot of possessions (not at the Rioli level of points per possession but similar). He's still only 26 so should be entering or in his prime.

He's definitely a major risk. Probably 40:60 chance of becoming a decent keeper and may well miss games. But he is good value.

If interested, look to start him and trade if he gets injured or during the byes if he's not pushing a 90 average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back