No Oppo Supporters 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After leading the Coleman earlier Papley has really fallen back and is now in a pack of players like Daniel Butler, Charlie Cameron, Mitch Wallis, Liam Ryan. Also players like Petracca are very likely to push into the half forward spots.

I wouldn't have him in the team at the moment, needs a big last 2 games

After leading the Coleman earlier Papley has really fallen back and is now in a pack of players like Daniel Butler, Charlie Cameron, Mitch Wallis, Liam Ryan. Also players like Petracca are very likely to push into the half forward spots.

I wouldn't have him in the team at the moment, needs a big last 2 games

Happened after Clarko comments coincidence maybe?

Happened after Clarko comments coincidence maybe?

I think it was a combination of many things that happened following Clarkson's comments.

His BS comments certainly put a lot more of a spotlight on Papley, both in terms of how he plays and how he's umpired, which I think would make any player feel more pressure.

Then he went outright in the Coleman lead, so more pressure.

The external talk about is he staying or is he going, so again, pressure.

His mate's suicide, which would play on his mind no doubt and maybe shift his focus slightly.

And Ben Paton the following week giving him a bath (Paton's done this to a number of quality players this year), which I think interrupted his form and he started getting desperate to re-capture it, which more often than not makes you play worse, not better.

I back him to bounce back better than ever next year, but he is probably one who will benefit from the season coming to an end sooner rather than later.

I wonder if this might be the kick in the arse that GWS need. Since 2016 they seemed to have taken for granted that they have all that talent on paper and have done just enough to win games and play finals. As a fan of northern footy clubs, I hope they pull their finger out and really work their arses off over the summer. If in 2-4 years time we could have all 4 northern clubs playing finals at the same time it would be a fantastic achievement and would really establish footy as a force in both states.

I wonder if this might be the kick in the arse that GWS need. Since 2016 they seemed to have taken for granted that they have all that talent on paper and have done just enough to win games and play finals. As a fan of northern footy clubs, I hope they pull their finger out and really work their arses off over the summer. If in 2-4 years time we could have all 4 northern clubs playing finals at the same time it would be a fantastic achievement and would really establish footy as a force in both states.

I admire your generosity, but I hope they spend the next three decades down the bottom until the AFL pull the pin on them.

I reckon the top four teams on the ladder all look good. None of the others have been consistent. Not only that all of the teams vying for spots from 6-8 have found beating the top four very difficult.

I am favouring Richmond but would love either Power or Lions to win the premiership. Really not happy to see a Victorian team win

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I admire your generosity, but I hope they spend the next three decades down the bottom until the AFL pull the pin on them.

Hahaha nah, I don't hate GWS. I genuinely want all 4 northern teams to do well.

I hate 3 teams, West Coast, Essendon, Collingwood.

Hawthorn, Geelong, and GWS I just enjoy beating, but don't actively dislike.

Norf, Carlolton and the Dons for me.... all in all this century has been pretty good on the schadenfreude front.

Hahaha nah, I don't hate GWS. I genuinely want all 4 northern teams to do well.

Hawthorn, Geelong, and GWS I just enjoy beating, but don't actively dislike.
I hate GWS and what they stand for NOTHING , no culture , s**t coach and don't play like a team and if we got what they got we would have won 10 flags with our culture and guts. Something those rats haven't. And i hate more than that

Hawks starting to push a few out with Stratton and Puopolo retiring. Burgoyne going around again seems more about games played than anything.
They're both retiring? I thought Stratton might go round again. The Hawks have a few years of struggle ahead of them. Not that those two were contributing to wins, but they now need to bring in kids and have them develop to take their place.

Hawks have few promising players on their list.

Worpel, Day and Scrimshaw are the only real three players under the age of 23 to show something that would suggest they will make it as AFL players. Maginness has big wraps on him but only made his debut yesterday. Jiath looks okay, but I suspect he will be in that 20-28 spot section on their list.

Their list is just awful. Bruest is about to hit 30. Shiels, Scully and Gunston turn 30 next year. They have holes on their list everywhere. Key position stocks are lacking while midfield is probably their strongest part of the ground with Mitchell, Wingard and Worpel, but even then, Worpel is still developing consistency while Wingard floats in and out of games.

Hawks starting to push a few out with Stratton and Puopolo retiring. Burgoyne going around again seems more about games played than anything.
Oh for sure. They will nurse him to 400 for sure

Hawks have few promising players on their list.

Worpel, Day and Scrimshaw are the only real three players under the age of 23 to show something that would suggest they will make it as AFL players. Maginness has big wraps on him but only made his debut yesterday. Jiath looks okay, but I suspect he will be in that 20-28 spot section on their list.

Their list is just awful. Bruest is about to hit 30. Shiels, Scully and Gunston turn 30 next year. They have holes on their list everywhere. Key position stocks are lacking while midfield is probably their strongest part of the ground with Mitchell, Wingard and Worpel, but even then, Worpel is still developing consistency while Wingard floats in and out of games.

Agree, it's great to see.

Agree, it's great to see.

Yep! And it's going to take three drafts, minimum, for them to get in a position to start a proper rebuild. Years of trading out their top picks has caught up with them. In reality, they should've started at the same time as us, around that end of 2018 mark.

Yep! And it's going to take three drafts, minimum, for them to get in a position to start a proper rebuild. Years of trading out their top picks has caught up with them. In reality, they should've started at the same time as us, around that end of 2018 mark.

Clarkson's fear of elite young talent and high draft picks is very weird. Has he forgotten what his premiership sides mostly consisted of?

Clarkson's fear of elite young talent and high draft picks is very weird. Has he forgotten what his premiership sides mostly consisted of?

Don't think it's a fear, but more of believing that his side could do some damage in September, when they really couldn't.

They picked Day with pick 13 last year, but their previous first rounders have been to acquire:

Wingard (Trade 2018, while giving up Ryan Burton in that trade, too)
Tom Mitchell (Trade 2016)
Jaegar O'Meara (Trade 2016)
Ryan Burton (Draft 2015)

They've used their first round selections to trade in ready made players, which suggests that they thought they could continue to contend or rebuild on the fly, like we have done. The difference is that when we rebuilt on the fly in 2009/10, we also had the likes of Jetta, Hanners, Rohan, Parker, Reid coming through, so we had young talent on the edge of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back