No Oppo Supporters 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and based on the past

That's where everyone is going wrong, they're using the past to predict the future, morons!

Not having a dig, but I have read this at work, and it drives me mental.

I think that there absolutely should be a womens league and encouragement for the sport, for any sport. I only have daughters and if they want to play footy fantastic.

I think comparing it and defending it compared the men’s 1800s game is a false narrative, the game was completely different.

I also think if you align it with existing afl clubs then you are trying to tap into the existing framework, Eg come see bitter rivals Carlton and Richmond play. Ideally for it to last as a comp it will need fan buy in on a large scale (they seem to want 18 teams quickly). To get that engagement and that buy in it can’t be above criticism because it is a good cause

I think the afl have chased after the virtue brownie points by making a comp, but it seems rushed to expand and the model
Is odd, I mean a quick conference comp In summer? Rushed expansion leading too awful footy? It’s lip service

I totally agree you invest in the next generation that’s how you fix the level, but let’s make a decent length comp, play it in the right season maybe? And how about have 6-8 senior sides so it’s a better quality product

Expand all you like at junior levels. I think the men’s league expanded to 18 too quickly as well hence issues with standard

People are too quick to make criticism a gender issue In this instance when sometimes it’s just a s**t game. Looking at improvements will also help fix the next generation

My main thing was you can’t have this national comp that is tied to a club wearing the colours etc then not be able to discuss it it’s poor or not? People just won’t bother and it will be for nothing

I watched a bit of it, I’m going this weekend

The concept it fine but it needs a lot of work

So does the swans forward line
I'm completely amazed at how much I agree with you!

In some ways, I feel that the AFL is force feeding me women's AFL and saying if I don't like it, then I'm sexist.

However, never having watched it even once, I think that it should be played on smaller grounds, for shorter quarters, with smaller balls. I don't mind them being attached to the existing clubs, and I do feel that they should be promoted and supported to grow... but let's not make comparisons at all. Let's just accept that it is a new league and will take time and effort to grow.

In some ways, I feel that the AFL is force feeding me women's AFL and saying if I don't like it, then I'm sexist.

However, never having watched it even once, I think that it should be played on smaller grounds, for shorter quarters, with smaller balls. I don't mind them being attached to the existing clubs, and I do feel that they should be promoted and supported to grow... but let's not make comparisons at all. Let's just accept that it is a new league and will take time and effort to grow.

Absolutely, im just wary of the afl running anything

womens footy
tasmanian footy
gold coast suns expansion
fixture
equalisation

et al

Can't speak for others but I don't think the vast majority of critics are coming from a sexist angle. 99% of comments I have seen being critical of the AFLW game is about scoring, or the quality of skills, which are gender-neutral issues that have been acknowledged equally in the men's game. So I agree that the majority of critics are not sexist at all.

But I do think it is counter-productive to say something is s**t when it's in it's infancy, and I actually think it can be harmful if something is being constantly written off before it's even got off the ground. If one doesn't like it, or can't be bothered with the 30-year wait for it to become worth watching in their eyes, then don't watch it, and don't comment on it and make it a negative thing. I have seen and heard plenty of people admit they won't watch it purely because they've "heard" it's crap, or they saw memes making a joke of it and decided not to bother watching. That is where the simple "I don't like it" comments I think can be bad for a sport that's trying to grow and needs to become more popular if that growth is to happen. (Not saying you btw, just the general critics I have seen on social media over the past week.)

A full size AFL ground is way too big and I think it has been the obvious issue since the inception. The 50m line is irrelevant because I rarely see the players even be able to kick 30m consistently and accurately, especially late in games.

I imagine ground logistics is why it can't be helped, but bringing the ends in about 10-15m each would make a pretty noticeable difference and makes more sense.

When the game develops you can expand the field as/if necessary. Like the NBA for example introducing a 3 point line when players developed more shooting ability (and to give smaller players a new scoring option in a paint dominated era), and now they are talking about making it even futher out again because of even more skill development making it too easy. Rule changes exist for this exact reason.

Having such a contentious issue about scoring and low quality play will only hurt the product in the immediate; I know I for one have no interest in watching and its not because I dont believe in the comp, I just don't find it at all entertaining.

Im staying out of this debate, except to say....
That I reckon its a fantastic idea for AFL teams to team up with and/or support Womens sport. The situation with the Swans and the Swifts joining forces (largely for financial reasons) is perfect. Two great clubs, two great teams, two great competitions, all great athletes. Cross promotion for men and womens sports. It offers something of very high quality for Mum n Dad, Son n Daughter and all their mates.

Can't speak for others but I don't think the vast majority of critics are coming from a sexist angle. 99% of comments I have seen being critical of the AFLW game is about scoring, or the quality of skills, which are gender-neutral issues that have been acknowledged equally in the men's game. So I agree that the majority of critics are not sexist at all.

But I do think it is counter-productive to say something is s**t when it's in it's infancy, and I actually think it can be harmful if something is being constantly written off before it's even got off the ground. If one doesn't like it, or can't be bothered with the 30-year wait for it to become worth watching in their eyes, then don't watch it, and don't comment on it and make it a negative thing. I have seen and heard plenty of people admit they won't watch it purely because they've "heard" it's crap, or they saw memes making a joke of it and decided not to bother watching. That is where the simple "I don't like it" comments I think can be bad for a sport that's trying to grow and needs to become more popular if that growth is to happen. (Not saying you btw, just the general critics I have seen on social media over the past week.)

I see what you mean, but you also can’t mandate people’s thoughts and comments so it’s better to embrace the feedback (constructive feedback not just its s**t like you say)

If it’s visually unappealing or dull to watch it doesn’t matter how long the comp is going, it’s a competitive sports market, entertainment and leisure dollar is a competitive field and we need to ensure the aflw and the afl as well have the best chance to capture the market.

So just saying don’t watch or don’t criticise as it’s counter productive won’t achieve much imo

Countless, any system where you can self report and suffer no consequence is a flawed system.

True that

I just wonder with both recreational and performance enhancing drugs if there’s a ticking timebomb for the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True that

I just wonder with both recreational and performance enhancing drugs if there’s a ticking timebomb for the league
if there is they have no one to blame but themselves, they should have been all over this 13 years ago when the eagles players all started stuffing up. can't say they didn't get enough warning.

Can't believe how many guns that are entering their prime that we had and couldnt retain for whatever reason. Letting Membrey walk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back