No Oppo Supporters 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
true just harder to enjoy a teams fall when we are worse

At least we are s**t with a young side

They are s**t with a bunch of has-beens

Think of it as if we are going down, we'll take them with us

at least hawthorn arent paying 2 million plus for two forwards to sit on their arse, not sure what you are celebrating
This is true, but they're one of the oldest, most experienced teams in the league and they scored 3 goals in a game (2 with fewer than five minutes to go). You take the good with the bad.

I was watching the Essendon vs North match on Fox tonight and I have to say the game looked pretty similar to what you'd expect to see on any given weekend these days, except for three massive differences:

- The delivery of the ball inside 50, where kicks actually went to their intended target's chest or in space for them to lead into. In today's game these kicks would be two metres over the target's head, or to his ankles, or a grubber kick where a 200cm forward is expected to lumber after a ground ball.

- The contested marking inside 50, in which players could actually stick a mark. Hardly any double grabbing or spilling it, just strong, clean dukes from players big and small. In today's game these would be the rarity, while the regular would be for the forward to simply "bring the ball to ground" or "make a contest."

- The goal-kicking accuracy, from set-shots and goals from nothing. It felt like nearly every shot on goal I saw just sailed through, from the long-range shots on the run, to the snaps off one step, to the 25 metres out, directly-in-front kick. In today's game most of these would be missed, while the 25m out directly-in-front kick has been branded the "hardest kick in footy", like it's a badge of honour.

I get the game is different, and structurally it's harder for forwards to find isolation, and the mids are under more pressure when it comes to delivering it inside 50, but they get plenty of opportunities and they still squander routine plays.

The solution is in the drafting IMO.

I was watching the Essendon vs North match on Fox tonight and I have to say the game looked pretty similar to what you'd expect to see on any given weekend these days, except for three massive differences:

- The delivery of the ball inside 50, where kicks actually went to their intended target's chest or in space for them to lead into. In today's game these kicks would be two metres over the target's head, or to his ankles, or a grubber kick where a 200cm forward is expected to lumber after a ground ball.

- The contested marking inside 50, in which players could actually stick a mark. Hardly any double grabbing or spilling it, just strong, clean dukes from players big and small. In today's game these would be the rarity, while the regular would be for the forward to simply "bring the ball to ground" or "make a contest."

- The goal-kicking accuracy, from set-shots and goals from nothing. It felt like nearly every shot on goal I saw just sailed through, from the long-range shots on the run, to the snaps off one step, to the 25 metres out, directly-in-front kick. In today's game most of these would be missed, while the 25m out directly-in-front kick has been branded the "hardest kick in footy", like it's a badge of honour.

I get the game is different, and structurally it's harder for forwards to find isolation, and the mids are under more pressure when it comes to delivering it inside 50, but they get plenty of opportunities and they still squander routine plays.

The solution is in the drafting IMO.

which game did you watch sorry, what year

Game imo has never been in a worse place

been ****ed for a few years, coaches are so defensive, congestion everywhere and no positions anymore

running bounce and contested marking is dead,

its rubbish compared to what it was, no flair at all, overcoached, too many rule changes, too much handball
ruck rules, kick in rules, 6 6 6 all do f all

I thought this was pretty interesting, especially with all the cries about how poor the game is. We are now only seeing a small percentage of the game on TV and are missing a vast amount of the tactics and structures that make a winning team.

Not saying that the game is all of a sudden better, but I do think that the TV is unfair to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demetriou aint perfect, but did any of the coaches and executives speak out about the state of the game when he was around? I don't recall coaches doing that as much as they do under Gilligan... seems like Gilligan is too easily influenced sometimes.

been f’ed for a few years, coaches are so defensive, congestion everywhere and no positions anymore

running bounce and contested marking is dead,

its rubbish compared to what it was, no flair at all, overcoached, too many rule changes, too much handball
ruck rules, kick in rules, 6 6 6 all do f all
And then you have Horse !

And then you have Horse !

Absolutely he is one of the worst
At least Ross Lyon is gone and Roos

Don’t get me wrong coaches just have to win, but they have collectively ruined footy imo

Just interested about this thread . Do you i mean anyone watch the footy and run to the computer or other device , or have it with you watching the telly ?

You on the computer when your on big footy?

Just interested about this thread . Do you i mean anyone watch the footy and run to the computer or other device , or have it with you watching the telly ?

if i watch the footy on my pc thru foxtel web then since i have a 34” monitor i can have bigfooty open

otherwise if im watching on my phoen ceebs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back