Discussion 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez. Wonder what went wrong.
Those mental heath demons must have got to the point where playing a high pressure sport isn't viable.

I just hope he realizes the door to not only St Kilda but Geelong will be always open if he ever needs help.

Last edited:

So you cut the interchange numbers from 90 to 75 (I assume to increase player fatigue and therefore increase scoring) and to then you decrease the qtr length from 20 to 18 minutes to decrease the impact of the interchange numbers alteration.

Why bother!!!

So you cut the interchange numbers from 90 to 75 (I assume to increase player fatigue and therefore increase scoring) and to then you decrease the qtr length from 20 to 18 minutes to decrease the impact of the interchange numbers alteration.

Why bother!!!
The AFL rules committee just do s**t to justify their jobs.

They have slowed the game down more every time they make "new rules to speed up the game"

Those mental heath demons must have got to the point where playing a high pressure sport isn't viable.

I just hope he realizes the door to not only St Kilda but Geelong will be always open if he ever needs help.
Its really disappointing he couldn't finish his career with us. There's always going to be the stigma of him bailing on us even despite the situation being likely for the best.

Is David Noble a left of centre choice for North?

Nah, well regarded as he was bascially GM of football at both the crows and Lions after being a previous assistant at the Doggies and coaching some VFL teams. If he presented well, much better credentialed than say Harvs who only has assistant degrees really.

Smacks a bit of the Dogs with Bevo though, "oh, this guy is doing well or going to fill a higher position, lets poach him!" even if Nobles been at the Lions what, 4 years? Basically joined when Fagan did and effectively ceased the north exodus that was happening.

If Harves wants a senior coaching gig, he needs to get out of Collingwood. Go coach your own lower league team, or at least experience another environment at AFL level. He's been under the same unsuccessful senior coach, in the same unsuccessful system for a decade. What else could there possibly be for him to learn and how can he really broaden his horizons at Collingwood?

Matthew Parker

He is electric at his best, even if some of those performances are few and far between. He has shown he is more than capable at senior level and adds a stack of pace and pressure to any side’s line-up and did so for St Kilda in 2019 before the rapid improvement of the Saints in 2020 saw Parker take a back seat. He’s a Western Australian, so if the Dockers are looking for a Brandon Matera replacement after delisting him, Parker is a much more suitable age to their demographic and could be a good backup option to have in the wings if needed.

Loved watching Matty play and had a great first up season given where he'd come from so hopefully he does get picked up by some team - back home at Freo would be a perfect result.
no that would be the worst possible outcome ....
its only spoken about in whispers but there is some seriosly scary player welfare issues at Freo and that is totally the very last place that would be good for parker and his family ... really its lazy journalism to link a guy from WA back to a WA club .. moving away from WA has been the best thing for him

Nah, well regarded as he was bascially GM of football at both the crows and Lions after being a previous assistant at the Doggies and coaching some VFL teams. If he presented well, much better credentialed than say Harvs who only has assistant degrees really.

Smacks a bit of the Dogs with Bevo though, "oh, this guy is doing well or going to fill a higher position, lets poach him!" even if Nobles been at the Lions what, 4 years? Basically joined when Fagan did and effectively ceased the north exodus that was happening.
It's a bit strange that he was talking about wanting to become a CEO a month ago and now he's a senior coach.
Big change of direction very quickly there.

If Harves wants a senior coaching gig, he needs to get out of Collingwood. Go coach your own lower league team, or at least experience another environment at AFL level. He's been under the same unsuccessful senior coach, in the same unsuccessful system for a decade. What else could there possibly be for him to learn and how can he really broaden his horizons at Collingwood?
Yep, that's what I have said. He also said no to coaching pies 2nd team a few years. If he wants to be senior coach that much he needs to coach his own team.

However he has been nknocked on the head a number of times he might now get the idea that he ain't a head coach.

So given my terrible record of cursing our players when I pick them for player advocate . I ruined Hugh Goddards career , Paddy McCartin’s career , ruined most of Hanners two years at our club and also ruined Dunstan this year .

I’ve decided to pick a non Saints player for my pick . I will still help others during next season of course .
Anyway I’m trying to think of options , so far I’m thinking -
Either -

Cripps - Blues
Fyfe - Freo
Daniher - Brisbane

Any other players you want to see miss some game time ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So given my terrible record of cursing our players when I pick them for player advocate . I ruined Hugh Goddards career , Paddy McCartin’s career , ruined most of Hanners two years at our club and also ruined Dunstan this year .

I’ve decided to pick a non Saints player for my pick . I will still help others during next season of course .
Either -

Cripps - Blues
Fyfe - Freo
Daniher - Brisbane

I’d say Lynch from Richmond mate but chances are they’d still make a push for another flag tilt and that smug son of a b will coast to another premiership so I’d rather he have to play and work for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Jack Crisp, Jordan Roughead, Brayden Maynard
HB: Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe
C: Chris Mayne, Scott Pendlebury, Josh Daicos
HF: Tyler Brown, Brody Mihocek, Will Hoskin-Elliott
F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom
I/C: Callum Brown, Brayden Sier, Isaac Quaynor, Levi Greenwood

Apparently the AFL site thinks Collingwood has two players named Isaac Quaynor . He is listed in their best side as half back flanker and on the bench at the same time . Pretty poor for the AFL site to make a mistake like that .

Either -

Cripps - Blues
Fyfe - Freo
Daniher - Brisbane

Cripps would devastate the Blues so I’d go with that.

Daniher will go down anyway, and Fyfe is in a poo team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congratulations to Tim Membrey and his wife on their wedding .
f76d967327c17e99e7b29a5f1c94916e.jpg

“As a past teammate and person I loved being involved with, Adam — as he is a really nice fella. BUT unfortunately he has got this VERY wrong,”

Being an active member of the past players group, there have been many, many occasions, where the past players committee have reached out, I know this is a fact!!!

The past players group stay in touch via a monthly newsletter letter that Adam does receive. We have our own amazing room at Marvel Stadium with premium seating for all home games, plus at least 3-4 past players functions per season. Adam gets invited to all of these."

Pretty sad for Adam Cooney. How's West though, defending his past player outreach because of a newsletter? A newsletter? Excuuuuuuuse me? A Newsletter??

I get newsletters from all manner of assocs. From our insurer. From my work union. Straight in the bin unopened. I just am not interested. I get that the intention is pure, but they are a step down in communication from the birthday card you get from your bank, another totally futile and naive gesture dreamed up by some fool in marketing.

Some genius thought that this form of communication equals "staying in touch with someone" - let me illuminate anyone whose job it is to communicate to their members; your newsletters mean nothing to us. They may occasionally contain interesting information, but they are not outreach. Members view them more closely to publicity.

If this and providing a luxury box to watch the footy from is Scott West's idea of reaching out to a human, he needs to wake up. I hope the St Kilda Outreach officer or whatever they are called isn't so lazy with their job.

Human connection is so valuable. There are no shortcuts. Only the most desperate and lonely would accept this as any kind of valuable connection. Take the time and do it properly.

Congratulations to Tim Membrey and his wife on their wedding .
f76d967327c17e99e7b29a5f1c94916e.jpg

Funny, being that Members is a hunter and fisher, I'd have pegged his wedding more for a country setting. This is a very urban look, he looks like a nightclub owner in that black on black number. Maybe his hobbies actually indicate that he wants to kill all nature, starting with the fish and animals.

Anyway, hope he had a good day and has a rich & happy marriage.

“As a past teammate and person I loved being involved with, Adam — as he is a really nice fella. BUT unfortunately he has got this VERY wrong,”

Being an active member of the past players group, there have been many, many occasions, where the past players committee have reached out, I know this is a fact!!!

The past players group stay in touch via a monthly newsletter letter that Adam does receive. We have our own amazing room at Marvel Stadium with premium seating for all home games, plus at least 3-4 past players functions per season. Adam gets invited to all of these."

Pretty sad for Adam Cooney. How's West though, defending his past player outreach because of a newsletter? A newsletter? Excuuuuuuuse me? A Newsletter??

I get newsletters from all manner of assocs. From our insurer. From my work union. Straight in the bin unopened. I just am not interested. I get that the intention is pure, but they are a step down in communication from the birthday card you get from your bank, another totally futile and naive gesture dreamed up by some fool in marketing.

Some genius thought that this form of communication equals "staying in touch with someone" - let me illuminate anyone whose job it is to communicate to their members; your newsletters mean nothing to us. They may occasionally contain interesting information, but they are not outreach. Members view them more closely to publicity.

If this and providing a luxury box to watch the footy from is Scott West's idea of reaching out to a human, he needs to wake up. I hope the St Kilda Outreach officer or whatever they are called isn't so lazy with their job.

Human connection is so valuable. There are no shortcuts. Only the most desperate and lonely would accept this as any kind of valuable connection. Take the time and do it properly.
"

Western Bulldogs great Scott West has revealed he is “disappointed” with reports of a rift between his club’s past players and former teammate Adam Cooney.
Cooney claimed this week he felt more welcome at Essendon functions than at Bulldogs events.
The 35-year-old revealed on SEN Radio this week he didn’t feel welcome at the Bulldogs after finishing out his career with two seasons at Essendon.

similars

The Brownlow Medallist suggested Essendon has been more active in keeping him involved at the club and reached out more consistently than the Bulldogs have.
The claims attracted a response from West on Facebook where the 304 game great presented his side of the story.
“As a past teammate and person I loved being involved with, Adam — as he is a really nice fella. BUT unfortunately he has got this VERY wrong,” West wrote on Facebook about his former teammate.
“Being an active member of the past players group, there have been many, many occasions, where the past players committee have reached out, I know this is a fact!!! The past players group stay in touch via a monthly newsletter letter that Adam does receive. We have our own amazing room at Marvel Stadium with premium seating for all home games, plus at least 3-4 past players functions per season. Adam gets invited to all of these.

[PLAYERCARD]Adam Cooney[/PLAYERCARD] in his final year at the Dogs before moving to Essendon.
Adam Cooney in his final year at the Dogs before moving to Essendon.
[PLAYERCARD]Scott West[/PLAYERCARD] posted a message on Facebook.
Scott West posted a message on Facebook.
“Our club has worked really hard over the past 10 years to welcome all past players back. This article disappoints me.
“Adam is always welcome, we’d love to see him.”
The disputed claims come after Cooney first said he didn’t feel welcome at the Kennel.
“I haven’t been back to the Bulldogs since I left,” Cooney told SEN SA Breakfast.
“But I left in a difficult circumstance, so I haven’t been back there. I feel a lot more welcome at Essendon than I do at the Western Bulldogs.
“(The Bombers have) just been in constant conversation with me since I retired.
“They ring every few months, the past players association, and just check in. I’ve done some work at the Bombers since I retired.
“Maybe it was just because it was fresh when I finished up and I was an Essendon player when I retired, but I feel a lot more welcome at the Bombers for some reason.”
Cooney said his situation may be similar to the one that has seen a rift form between Crows legend Andrew McLeod and his former club.
Earlier this year McLeod said his former club is “not a place that you feel welcomed”.
Cooney said clubs move on quickly and forget about their former servants.
“So you can feel like you’re not part of a group, but that’s just the industry and the business moving on,” he said.
https://trc.taboola.com/newscorpau-...teofvictoria&r=96&lti=trctestcookie_test_ctrl

The Sydney list manager is actually complaining that the North Academy system that gifts those clubs first round picks regularly is actually unfair to them if other clubs bid on their players earlier than expected. Also suggests it's unfair for teams that finish at the at of the ladder to then find the points to match a bid on a top 10 pick.

So to combat this he suggests that if a club choses to not match a bid on one of their players, that clubs next pick should move to the next pick - ie, Sydney has pick 17 and their player is bid on at pick 6. If they dont match the bid, then Sydney get to move up and take a player at pick 7 instead.

What a woeful suggestion.

We probably can’t be pointing fingers with the very recent, public revelations about our (lack of) any contact with Robbie Muir.

But hopefully we have learnt a very good lesson from this, and hopefully the Doggies too will reach out to Cooney.

I know that I would like Dal, Stuv and BJ and any other past players to be welcomed back to the club at any time.

Yep, that's what I have said. He also said no to coaching pies 2nd team a few years. If he wants to be senior coach that much he needs to coach his own team.

However he has been nknocked on the head a number of times he might now get the idea that he ain't a head coach.

Maybe he's happier to be a career assistant, and enjoy working with players at that level, than going prematurelygrey/bald, working a few years and ( in many cases ) crashing out unemployable.

We probably can’t be pointing fingers with the very recent, public revelations about our (lack of) any contact with Robbie Muir.

But hopefully we have learnt a very good lesson from this, and hopefully the Doggies too will reach out to Cooney.

I know that I would like Dal, Stuv and BJ and any other past players to be welcomed back to the club at any time.
I don't disagree that the club left Robbie and potentially other ex-Saints players high and dry.

I think the difference here is that St Kilda would also acknowledge that - and have. We would certainly not shamefully claim that we reached out to him by sending him a flicking newsletter, for crying out loud.

Maybe he's happier to be a career assistant, and enjoy working with players at that level, than going prematurelygrey/bald, working a few years and ( in many cases ) crashing out unemployable.
If he was happier being an assistant, he wouldn't be applying for head coach. He tired for the the saints, North, and a few others now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back