Discussion 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jb you honestly couldn’t be serious. They had the same issues last year. As I’ve said before some would blame him for corona virus.
Not without good reason.

img{

I reckon they have an ordinary coaching group in general. But, put it this way, Richo certainly wouldn’t be helping that group at all based on his time with us and what we’ve seen since he left, as much as the Richo apologists would argue against it.

Having coaches from the Hawthorn system is incredibly important to succeed in the AFL: you only have to look at the past premiership winners. Many of us argued this for years. Now we have Ratten, Roughead, Rath (and the stats guru I think) and we are flying.... it’s no coincidence.

I read when they hired Richo he would be a director of coaching. I thought it was an incredibly poor appointment from Melbourne at the time and still think so now. Richo doesn’t have the right pedigree to succeed as a coach in modern footy unfortunately. AFL is a boys club though and, if you have a reputation as a good “development coach” and good bloke as Richo had, it sticks, regardless of results.
Got to laugh that you are an apologist if you think a guy who has been there 5 minutes has really nothing to do with their current problems. Really? I Could suggest those who think he has are redicolous you biased but I won’t. Also I doubt footy clubs are that unprofessional they just employ a good bloke. Maybe they actual know more than supporters.

Any co incidence that the Demons have a pall of depression hovvering over them.

-Players not developing
-Game plan not suited to skill set
-Trying to handball out of trouble without the requisite skills
-Bombing to a pack in the 50.

Where have we heard all this before?

Who is Demons assistant coach?
All fair points - except that none of it relates to his job at Melbourne.

Goodwin is the problem.

Can you please explain why it’s the same issues as last season. I suggest you listen to Garry Lyon. Reckon he has you and me covered. It’s nothing to do with Richo. It’s pretty poor points scoring that will get you plenty of likes.
I did listen to Lyon, also listened to their fans.
So he is the assistant coach but their issues have nothing to do with him.

Lol, what a crock. So what does he do there?
Fair Dinkum, with all the evidence of his failure at the Saints and his new club failing in similiar ways, Richardson is covered in teflon.
Face it, he is an ordinary coach.

Fair Dinkum, with all the evidence of his failure at the Saints and his new club failing in similiar ways, Richardson is covered in teflon.
Is Ratten to blame for all our issues last year?

Seen that you know so much about him and Melbourne what is his actual role there?

Excellent point but that will be different for some imaginary reason. It’s up to the head coach to lead the assistants. Richo could be doing well in his role or he could be struggling. I’m just waiting on jb to tell his role.
It's also just stupid to try and blame a new addition for the issues a club has had for years.

Yes they have similar issues that we have experience, but thats because they are common issues within many AFL clubs and aren't unique to one specific person. It's just reaching to suggest otherwise.

Got to laugh that you are an apologist if you think a guy who has been there 5 minutes has really nothing to do with their current problems. Really? I Could suggest those who think he has are redicolous you biased but I won’t. Also I doubt footy clubs are that unprofessional they just employ a good bloke. Maybe they actual know more than supporters.
I’m not blaming him for the Dees predicament as that would be unfair: more saying I don’t think someone like him would help them in their situation due to him being a poor coach and they already have an ordinary coaching group in my opinion.

View attachment 907406

Is there a sweeter sight than this. Imaging tanking to get picks and then when you have a super draft you trade out your first pick 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I was just thinking that. They've given up bulk picks for May and Lever. Who while being good players they're not exactly carrying the team. And play a pretty similar role IMO. We got Wilkie and Howard doing the same in our side!

Pick 6 turned into our good mate Ben King. Gold Coast laughing. (oh just realised it says that in the headline)

At the same time they did make the top 4 in 2018. Probably thought they just needed to fill a few gaps - how did they have pick 6 in the first place?

I was just thinking that. They've given up bulk picks for May and Lever. Who while being good players they're not exactly carrying the team. And play a pretty similar role IMO. We got Wilkie and Howard doing the same in our side!

Pick 6 turned into our good mate Ben King. Gold Coast laughing. (oh just realised it says that in the headline)

At the same time they did make the top 4 in 2018. Probably thought they just needed to fill a few gaps - how did they have pick 6 in the first place?
Traded hogan im pretty sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 6 was a bit of a hot potato. It started with Fremantle, who traded it to Port in a pick swap. They traded it in another pick swap to Brisbane. They sent it back to Freo for Lachie Neal. Melbourne got it with Jesse Hogan, and then it ended up with Gold Coast for May.

Is Ratten to blame for all our issues last year?
No, but Ratten is showing what some of the kids being wasted by Richo.

Has changed the club about completely. Ask Josh Battle who said they were boring with their gameplan last year.

He also had form at a triple premiership team.
Richardson has shown he wasn't up to it as senior coach, now the club he has gone to is failing in similar ways.
Sure Goodwin needs to take most of the responsibility but Richo was obviously a poor choice for a team failing in very similar ways to the Saints

Very sad news to learn of the passing of former Carlton star Mark Naley!
1987 premiership player and super footballer all round at his best!
Man life goes by so fast. Felt like yesterday when I was at the 87 Grand Final and he was a serious player in that game and during his years at the Blues!
Apparently he had been ill for some time, still pretty young to have left this world!

Has changed the club about completely. Ask Josh Battle who they were boring with their gameplan last year.

Richardson has shown he wasn't up to it as senior coach, now the club he has gone to is failing in similar ways.
Sure Goodwin needs to take most of the responsibility but Richo was obviously a poor choice for a team failing in very similar was to the Saints
Ratten wasn't responsible for the issues at the club before he arrived or that were still present when he was an assistant just as Richo isnt responsible for the issues at Melbourne that have been around long before he rocked up.

Ratten wasn't responsible for the issues at the club before he arrived or that were still present when he was an assistant just as Richo isnt responsible for the issues at Melbourne that have been around long before he rocked up.
What we are saying is, if you are in a shitty situation like we were pre-2019 and Melbourne are now, you want to add good coaches to your club to try and get your team out of it.

We added Ratten and the stats guy and have also added Roughy and Rath since (all from the Hawthorn system) while getting rid of Richo who was a major reason we were in a crap situation.

Melbourne, by getting the coach who was a big reason we were in a shitty situation, Richo, to become their director of coaching is taking the opposite approach to us.

No one is blaming Richo for Melbourne’s predicament, just questioning the wisdom of their approach and suggesting he’s not going to help them get out of the situation they are in. Only appointing good coaches can do that there is no evidence Richo is a good coach.

What we are saying is, if you are in a shitty situation like we were pre-2019 and Melbourne are now, you want to add good coaches to your club to try and get your team out of it.

We added Ratten and the stats guy and have also added Roughy and Rath since (all from the Hawthorn system) while getting rid of Richo who was a major reason we were in a crap situation.

Melbourne, by getting the coach who was a big reason we were in a shitty situation, Richo, to become their director of coaching is taking the opposite approach to us.

No one is blaming Richo for Melbourne’s predicament, just questioning the wisdom of their approach and suggesting he’s not going to help them get out of the situation they are in. Only appointing good coaches can do that there is no evidence Richo is a good coach.
The post that started this discussion literally listed all Melbourne's issues and suggested Richo was the source since those were similar issues we have had in recent years.

You're view of the situation right be a valid discussion point but thats not what the original comment was suggesting.

Has changed the club about completely. Ask Josh Battle who said they were boring with their gameplan last year.

Sure Goodwin needs to take most of the responsibility but Richo was obviously a poor choice for a team failing in very similar ways to the Saints

I think Richo was looking just as good as Ratts five games into last season. He'd won four and lost one by a straight kick. 5 wins out of the first 10 as well, then injuries really bit. Covid19 football seems to suit the quick ball movement frenetic sides who play ballistic footy. Richo was a beige coach who couldn't balance a full field press with a game plan that coaches players to play on instinct. He was only there in the end because we got excited and signed him at the first whiff of success. Seems pretty much what the Dees did.

I have absolute faith that Ratts is exactly the type of coach for us to move forward. He's training players to play positions and play on instinct. If I'm not feeling bitter about the past he did teach the players under him a lot of discipline and work ethic. Funny enough on SEN that's what they criticised Melbourne for, choosing work ethic over skills so perhaps Richo is the cause.

I feel it was more like us post '97 GF and I think Nicks will end up being their Tim Watson. Won't be until most of those senior players are gone that that club will climb out of the ashes.

The bad news is they won't be able to break emergency glass and give Blighty a godfather offer, we already burnt that bridge for them - great long term tactics from St Kilda!

So which retired/close to retirement premiership coach do they get instead? Longmire? Worsfold? Roos? Clarko? Malthouse? Thompson? a Scott brother? Matthews? Hardwick? Beverage?

Good to see in any case!
I think it was a bit like us after 2010. Had done everything they could and came up short. Mentally shot and the camp probably made a burnt out tired club a fractured miserable environment.

I feel it was more like us post '97 GF and I think Nicks will end up being their Tim Watson. Won't be until most of those senior players are gone that that club will climb out of the ashes.

The bad news is they won't be able to break emergency glass and give Blighty a godfather offer, we already burnt that bridge for them - great long term tactics from St Kilda!

So which retired/close to retirement premiership coach do they get instead? Longmire? Worsfold? Roos? Clarko? Malthouse? Thompson? a Scott brother? Matthews? Hardwick? Beverage?

Good to see in any case!

Nah, Nicks will be the Alves, steadying influence that instills "this is how to be professional and win things" whilst coddling them instead without actually succeeding, then they'll get uppity and get in Gazza Lyon or something for a season, turf him, bring back Matthews who will politely decline since unlike Blighty, he's not that much of an a-hole, and pinch an assistant from somewhere, maybe Sumich.

I reckon they have an ordinary coaching group in general. But, put it this way, Richo certainly wouldn’t be helping that group at all based on his time with us and what we’ve seen since he left, as much as the Richo apologists would argue against it.

Having coaches from the Hawthorn system is incredibly important to succeed in the AFL: you only have to look at the past premiership winners. Many of us argued this for years. Now we have Ratten, Roughead, Rath (and the stats guru I think) and we are flying.... it’s no coincidence.

I read when they hired Richo he would be a director of coaching. I thought it was an incredibly poor appointment from Melbourne at the time and still think so now. Richo doesn’t have the right pedigree to succeed as a coach in modern footy unfortunately. AFL is a boys club though and, if you have a reputation as a good “development coach” and good bloke as Richo had, it sticks, regardless of results.
Honestly Richo's hard work ethic style of coaching is probably what they need. Haven't seen them this year, but the last few years they have been one of the worst for 2 way running.

I reckon you fellas have it all arse about.
Of course Richo isn't to blame for the problems at Melbourne. Fun and games aside it's a ridiculous suggestion.

But.
He may be the solution.

Melbourne are very clearly not strong enough in the contest under Goodwin.
Nor is their pressure game up to AFL standard.
The whole team seems overly interested in offense and individual freedom, and lacks the application to grind out a game when things aren't going their way..

It's pretty obvious that no matter what anyone may think of Richo's coaching prowess, when it comes to selecting carrion the man is an astute judge of the most select prey.

Right now, he'll be enchanting the Melbourne hierarchy with soft droning pleeeasings, and strrroongs until he's lulled their subconscious into a zombified state.

When poor Goodie finally falls, good o'l uncle Richo will be there to support the boys and see the team through a tough time, reminding all present of why he's universally admired as such a good, good guy.

The GM and board will be impressed with Richo's calmness and disarming persona.
Still in their intoxafied haze, they will not be prepared to further traumatize their club, and after a time of professional measure they will ask Richo if he'd like to become an AFL coach again.

Of course, Richo will take the night to think it over, and ask the Mrs if she could deal with the whole thing again. Being a loving partner she just wants him to be happy, so of course it's not a problem and she'll be there through thick and thin once more.

So the next day Richo will accept the appointment and there will be pats on the back all round.
He'll sit down in the boardroom and ask to borrow a pen, and with a gentle well practiced motion, and a slight smile to one side of his lips, Richo will slowly and painlessly, sink his fangs into another football club. And it will taste sweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back