Discussion 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umpires must have money on the Cats.

Jeez, the Cats are unbelievable whingers to the umps. Appeal for everything.
Oh, and Selwood’s odds for an Oscar are shortening the longer the game goes on.

Fagan would be pulling his pubes out right now. How does Rohan get an uncontested chest mark on the goal line?

Some turnaround nonetheless by the Cats. You wouldn't have picked this half way through the 2nd.

Jeez Lions, you only had one job!
(And it wasn’t being witches hats.)

Mitch Robinson would be pinching himself every time he runs out for the Lions rather than still playing for the Blues.

OMG, I jinxed him.
Sorry Mitch
🙊

This game illustrates perfectly that the team who is prepared to take risks and play with attacking flair will prevail this year. Soon as a side goes into defensive tempo mode it all turns to shite! Geelong were not prepared to take the game on until they fell well behind, and the complete opposite from Bris who looked up and about early on playing with dash. Then decided to go defensive and stop taking risks and it has all come unstuck for them!

Momentum is everything in footy!

Cats have been doing the business for over 10 years straight now, even when they're not contenders, they never bottom out. Respect to that club, hope we head in that direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the cats won one quarter and lost three but still won by 27 points . Footy can be strange sometimes lol.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

1-0, 1-0, 1-8,1-0

Easy 24pt win, Cats won by 27 as;

1-2, 3-2, 0-7, 1-2

Literally, Brissies first quarter should have been a 1-6, then say they hold late into the second and the Cats don't pip 2 goals back in the last 7ish minutes, you're sitting 9-2 instead of 10points up at the half. Instead, they went at 33% conversion, ended up 4.8 v 3.4, so that 3rd quarter, kills you instead of going "I need to hold and do better here".

There are wins, and there are wins, and this was our problem for years. We'd dominate games, not get the reward, get overrun, hell, it happened in round 1 this year v North and we got pipped at the post. This match it happened in Q3 and Brissie couldn't pull it back.

This is just highly visual since you're packing it into 16mins instead of 30, so you're seeing it highlighted more since there's less time to "pull it back" hence junk time goals.

Very interesting listening to Craig Jennings this morning on SEN (former Melbourne assistant - good analyser of the game) talk about how Melbourne now is playing like we did under Richo. Basically that we were a manic pressure side but it was a one trick pony game plan where if opposition teams could find a mark, it would release all the pressure. Is an insight into how opposition teams perceived us and planned for us.

This game illustrates perfectly that the team who is prepared to take risks and play with attacking flair will prevail this year. Soon as a side goes into defensive tempo mode it all turns to sh*te! Geelong were not prepared to take the game on until they fell well behind, and the complete opposite from Bris who looked up and about early on playing with dash. Then decided to go defensive and stop taking risks and it has all come unstuck for them!

Momentum is everything in footy!
Momentum is important, so is timing - learning when to capitalise on a potential momentum change (go all out) too.

Last week against Freo, Adelaide saw Freo players try to slow things down, and they went full effort, quickly wiping out a three goal deficit before 3/4 siren sounded. They came out in the last quarter and struggled to find that momentum again.

Geelong seem to click into high gear as they approach half time and three quarter time. They get junk time goals which demoralises opponents - helps their momentum, raises their own performance (or at least perception of it) plus they always believe they can win the match they are playing and can rely on their superstars to pull something out of the hat to get things going.

A lot of their players come across as flogs but are great players.

Scott has them trained to get free kicks, they whinge when they don't get free kicks even if they aren't there knowing it pressures the umps. It makes the players seem extra floggish.

Huge question mark over the Brions away from home and Geelong are super beatable

It's funny, I thought the Lions were actually very good but just blew so many forward 50 entries with poor execution. They also got sucked into playing too fast by Geelong's pressure. I think that's easier to work on than just getting outclassed. Geelong won because they have a lot of experience and during that initial come back got very lucky with the umps. The head high hit by Rohan should have been a free kick to Lester in front of goal. That would have really changed momentum. I thought Geelong were very good but not outstandingly better.

Opens the door for the Saints to move up a spot on the ladder (or two) with a solid win against the Dockers.

I hope the boys are settling nicely in their new digs.

Bloody Brisbane sucked me in. Thought they’d improved but looks like nothing’s changed from last year. They were a false top 4 team last season and I’m sure they will be again.

It's funny, I thought the Lions were actually very good but just blew so many forward 50 entries with poor execution. They also got sucked into playing too fast by Geelong's pressure. I think that's easier to work on than just getting outclassed. Geelong won because they have a lot of experience and during that initial come back got very lucky with the umps. The head high hit by Rohan should have been a free kick to Lester in front of goal. That would have really changed momentum. I thought Geelong were very good but not outstandingly better.
What was very noticeable irrespective of free kicks and luck was just how Bris completely turned to water when the heat was turned up.
Something I have been very critical of the Saints doing with monotonous regularity in recent years. Remains to be seen if we have eradicated that soft underbelly yet but signs are we beginning to build a more resilient nature to our game. But quite often it's only repeated exposure to these pressure cooker moments and games that eventually makes a side a really good one.
Twas no coincidence when that game needed someone to stamp their names on it last night, it was Geelong's experienced champions that lifted them off the canvas in Dangerfield, Ablett and Selwood to the fore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back