Discussion 2020 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention it was in the backstreets of a suburb in the outer east that nobody ever wanted to visit. I remember my first time there it took me two hours to find the place. Best thing we've ever done is move back to Moorabbin.
Only Bloke at the club who would have been happy with Seaford would be Lonie and that was because he lived around the corner.

Was a shocker of a place though, Wonder how the hawks will go in Dingley which is ******* nothing apart from the mini gold course and the dingley international hotel

Only Bloke at the club who would have been happy with Seaford would be Lonie and that was because he lived around the corner.

Was a shocker of a place though, Wonder how the hawks will go in Dingley which is ******* nothing apart from the mini gold course and the dingley international hotel
Next to a tip aswell. I spoke to our club about that and if it would have any effect on us and the response I got back was laughter. Good luck to 'em.

Not to mention it was in the backstreets of a suburb in the outer east that nobody ever wanted to visit. I remember my first time there it took me two hours to find the place. Best thing we've ever done is move back to Moorabbin.

Fish n Chips on the beach in Seaford can be nice. You could see the place from the Freeway.
We only know where it is in Moorabbin because we know where it is from wayback.
I never want to go to Moorabbin for any reason ever, except to see the Saints. Moorabbin is hardly "nice".

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fish n Chips on the beach in Seaford can be nice. You could see the place from the Freeway.
I never want to go to Moorabbin for any reason ever, except to see the Saints. Moorabbin is hardly "nice".
morrabbin at least is walking distance from the train and has some parking and covered areas to watch the boys train and has a bit of a community feel to it ... seaford was like just a hump of land they found that would take them with nothing around it but a freeway ... the second time i went to Seaford there was an open training session and i reckon i get more fans in WA to the saints training run than what rocked up that day in seaford ...
last time i was in Moorabbin the place was a buzz with visitors it is open and inviting you walk in and theres some of the players sitting having a coffee, theres a past player coming to vist the place it was a hive of activity and had a really good feel to the place ... seaford was sterile cold everything behind a big wall nothing about it was inviting for members and fans

Next to a tip aswell. I spoke to our club about that and if it would have any effect on us and the response I got back was laughter. Good luck to 'em.

Its not next to a tip. It is a tip. An ex-tip. Currently parkland producing a bit of gas.
I work in Dingley. The International is close to the industrial area. The Hawks will be closer to the residential area ( Dingley Village ). Forget Mini-Golf , they have it, but they also have a choice of other top golf courses, Including Kingston Heath.
Not sure what you think is at Moorabbin that's not around here. In fact its only 13 minutes from the future Hawks to the Saints. They might end up playing golf together.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
yeah Finnis aint the reason we are able to stay a float today. the reason why we are able to stay a float today is due to the AFL.

take away their line of credit this year or in previous years and we do not exist without hope that some benefactors step in.

Every single club is afloat due to the AFL.

We get a line of credit and higher grants because we are part of an 18 team competition that is sold to broadcasters at the understanding of 8 games a day.

We get Saturdays at 1.10 pm on the Gold Coast, Sunday twilight games v Freo etc while Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond get guaranteed blockbusters every year, Adelaides and Perths get showdowns and derbys every year.
All huge earners.
We were ripped off at Docklands for 20 years.
The AFL owe US big time not the other way around.
Finnis has got us back home, a great restructure of facilities, has instigated Pride match and has helped us get a record membership in a plague year.

Yeah well that is simplistic rubbish.

Every single club is afloat due to the AFL.

We get a line of credit and higher grants because we are part of an 18 team competition that is sold to broadcasters at the understanding of 8 games a day.

We get Saturdays at 1.10 pm on the Gold Coast, Sunday twilight games v Freo etc while Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond get guaranteed blockbusters every year, Adelaides and Perths get showdowns and derbys every year.
All huge earners.
We were ripped off at Docklands for 20 years.
The AFL owe US big time not the other way around.
Finnis has got us back home, a great restructure of facilities, has instigated Pride match and has helped us get a record membership in a plague year.
So if finnis wasn't at our club do you think we wouldn't exist?

The funniest part was they took ages to put up the sign that faced the freeway, then a few months later there was piles of rubbish and the sign had lost pieces. It looked like s**t after 12 months. It literally looked like a local footy club clubhouse only with less maintenance. You couldn't even park anywhere near it in a suburb that has nothing but space. It looked like we were a proper second rate club.

It's nowhere near the beach part. It's more Carrum Downs way, you have to head a long way inland from the Nepean highway and then navigate all the back streets to even find it. There is a crusty looking set of shops near the main road but it would be 10 to 15 minutes walk to get back to the ground.

OPsaints

Draftee
Apr 15, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
the first day i went there i had just caught the redeye from Perth to Melb so i get to the city by 7am i grabbed a coffee jumped on the train from Flinders street to Seaford 59 glorious minutes later taking in the sights and sounds of the iconic "Frangga" train line i rock up to seaford.. needing another coffee i find a bakery that does coffee drink that down then wait an hour for a taxi to arrive to take me the rest of the way to the saints new home... finally i arrive at the venue sit through a supporter group forum where our cheersquad representitve spent 25 mins venting her spleen at the club because the ... wait for it .... the streamers they supplied were red black and white not red white and black ....
then the tour of the facility where Archie was trying to tell us that this was the most advanced training center in the AFL (none of us belived it) ..
meeting done tour done i scabbed a lift from the Tassie supporter group back to the train station i then train ride back to the city, bus to the airport back on the evening flight arive back to Perth about 10 pm and litterally fall asleep in the car ride home ...

to say i wasnt a fan of that place would be an understatment
That is dedication

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Yeah even the thought of seeing the saints there brings me pretty torn emotions.

Even as a little kid in the 80's, the place always felt like a s**t-hole… I saw us get belted there for about 4 years before I even saw us win a match.

I used to look forward to a super-dog at half time far more than watching the games.

If you are old enough to remember the flag or maybe old enough to get pulled off out the back of the disco then I can imagine Moorabbin holding a special place in your heart, but for me… the joint stank, was filthy muddy everywhere, felt like it was stuck in the middle of a bunch of cheap furniture factories and I saw us lose far more than win. Very little joy in my memory of the place.

Sure Waverley felt like Antarctica but at least it felt like a legit professional sports field even if it was closer to bonnie doon than melbourne.

Junction Oval I would be far keener to visit than the mecca of moorabbin.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Yeah even the thought of seeing the saints there brings me pretty torn emotions.

Even as a little kid in the 80's, the place always felt like a sh*t-hole… I saw us get belted there for about 4 years before I even saw us win a match.

I used to look forward to a super-dog at half time far more than watching the games.

If you are old enough to remember the flag or maybe old enough to get pulled off out the back of the disco then I can imagine Moorabbin holding a special place in your heart, but for me… the joint stank, was filthy muddy everywhere, felt like it was stuck in the middle of a bunch of cheap furniture factories and I saw us lose far more than win. Very little joy in my memory of the place.

Sure Waverley felt like Antarctica but at least it felt like a legit professional sports field even if it was closer to bonnie doon than melbourne.

Junction Oval I would be far keener to visit than the mecca of moorabbin.
You are right about the age being important Moorabbin was a terrible ground but it was our home and when you spend every Friday night there and every second Saturday in winter there it grows on you. It grows on you even more when you see the greatest player I’ve ever seen win games off his own boot then be upstairs drinking out of tallies after a game every so often. Then go to the social club on Brownlow night and get to put the Brownlow around your neck it becomes a place you will never forget. For the good and the bad reasons.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
You are right about the age being important Moorabbin was a terrible ground but it was our home and when you spend every Friday night there and every second Saturday in winter there it grows on you. It grows on you even more when you see the greatest player I’ve ever seen win games off his own boot then be upstairs drinking out of tallies after a game every so often. Then go to the social club on Brownlow night and get to put the Brownlow around your neck it becomes a place you will never forget. For the good and the bad reasons.
I can totally imagine, don't get me wrong I do have some fond memories and priceless photos of me and barks and I still have an autograph book somewhere full of mainly terrible names, but I was a bit young for the disco stuff so the overriding feeling for me is not a happy, successful or a professional place.

I remember meeting plugger in the rooms after he kicked a big bag of goals, it was like meeting jesus himself… except he was such a grumpy kent that he could barely say hello or sign my jumper.

Palantine

All Australian
Mar 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Apparently they’ve been asking the Council for a load of cash to help out. Not sure their plans are going so well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
and how do you think that line of credit got negotiated ? the AFL didnt just give us a bucket of money for the hell of it .. the club needed to put togeter a buisness case that showed the AFL kicking in was going to be used in a way that was going to see improvment i dont think any of our previous managment team would have been able to put together the case and deliver on the items needed to secure the faith from the AFL to put in the investment into us ..

We will never know the real truth. My personal opinion is that it is a bit far fetched to assume the AFL gave us a lifeline due to Finnis's brilliance.

There is no precedent of letting any club effectively fold, since the Lions. The AFL wants an 18 side comp.

Also, results matter. The best way to do better off field is to do better on field. It is undeniable Finnis has overseen the most boring period in the clubs history. You dont think that has impacted the bottom line?

Shits all over Seaford

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We will never know the real truth. My personal opinion is that it is a bit far fetched to assume the AFL gave us a lifeline due to Finnis's brilliance.

There is no precedent of letting any club effectively fold, since the Lions. The AFL wants an 18 side comp.

Also, results matter. The best way to do better off field is to do better on field. It is undeniable Finnis has overseen the most boring period in the clubs history. You dont think that has impacted the bottom line?
sorry but the bolded part is utter rubbish ... we saw what happened when we had success onfield with a numpty running the off field.. we found ourselves still a minnow club and an even bigger debt ..
Finnis came in after the most successful (in regards to games won, finals played, and stars on the list) eras came to an end.. it was not Finnis's actions that saw the club spiral down after that period of reltive success it was the mismanagment of the previous group that led to that the start of the decline was the previous group and the way they were heading we were in for a world of pain ...
thankfully we righted the ship before we went into total free fall

obviously the best case is to have Strong off field + Strong on field and that hopefully is what we are heading towards... strong off field weak on field at least sets you up to improve the onfield over time.. weak off field and strong on field is unsustainable and leads to a big fall as we have experianced .. lord help us if we get weak off field and weak on field that sets us back a generation as we have also seen in our past

sorry but the bolded part is utter rubbish ... we saw what happened when we had success onfield with a numpty running the off field.. we found ourselves still a minnow club and an even bigger debt ..
Finnis came in after the most successful (in regards to games won, finals played, and stars on the list) eras came to an end.. it was not Finnis's actions that saw the club spiral down after that period of reltive success it was the mismanagment of the previous group that led to that the start of the decline was the previous group and the way they were heading we were in for a world of pain ...
thankfully we righted the ship before we went into total free fall

obviously the best case is to have Strong off field + Strong on field and that hopefully is what we are heading towards... strong off field weak on field at least sets you up to improve the onfield over time.. weak off field and strong on field is unsustainable and leads to a big fall as we have experianced .. lord help us if we get weak off field and weak on field that sets us back a generation as we have also seen in our past

It still makes sense that doing well on field makes more income and momentum to work of. The last lot were spuds but as a footy club on field success is almost the first point of business.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If they're going to make the quarters 18 minutes next year, as it sounds, then they better give us two extra games a year. Zero need to reduce games by 10% but if we get 24 rounds then it will balance out.

An old friend of Mine owns the Dingley , Garry Willetts ex jockey , Manikato

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
It still makes sense that doing well on field makes more income and momentum to work of. The last lot were spuds but as a footy club on field success is almost the first point of business.
yes but you what good is having the relative success if you cant turn it into off field success ... the fact is we had a once in a generation run off the back of some fantastic star players all coming together at the same time but while that success was happening when we had the ability to really capitalise and set our footing as a bigger club we dropped the ball consistantly... we moved to the backwater that was Seaford, we shut out our members and fans, we alienated our past players, we mismanaged scandal after scandal so badly we could not attract sponsors even though we were winning pretty much every week and we had some of the most marketable players in the comp on our list ... strong managment during that period would have set us up big time and would have made our long rebuild much easier and we could have potentially been able to lure free agents over to us but because we were a povo club in a sh*thole and we were getting bad publicity, our players contracts were a mess, our leaders of the club were making dumb comments in the media we were on the nose and looking like a basket case despite being one of the strongest onfield teams the AFL has seen ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back