Review 2020 Grand Final discussion

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett played GF with a “broken” shoulder....

That’d be ‘bulltish’

Why do we get these ‘fake news’ articles after the fact.
I mean he could have a crack or something.
Tom played most of the year with one, silk played finals recently with cracked ribs

Players do that

I mean he could have a crack or something.
Tom played most of the year with one, silk played finals recently with cracked ribs

Players do that
It's 'brave' when you win.

It's just sooking the * out of the place when you lose.

Rubbish. You've been sucked in by social media.

Lethal's final record is far better. See above.

I saw most of Matthews’ career and most of Bartlett’s. In terms of finals played, possessions and goals they have near enough identical records.

Matthews was a great player, and of course a great finals player. So was Bartlett. Brent Croswell was said to be a great finals player. But footy was different back then and you just cannot compare them fairly with players in the modern era.

The thing is there would have been players like Dick Reynolds, Ron Barassi, and the Colliers and Coventrys and god knows who else I cannot name who were truly great finals players in times prior to our recollection.

For anyone to pop up with Dustin Martin as the greatest finals player of all time with no supporting analysis, is just worthless really, in terms of an assessment. i guess what they are really saying is in this moment they can’t imagine a player having been better in finals.

Having said that, I am not sure I can recall anyone kicking 4 such good goals and being the legitimate best on ground and the difference in a game of this sort of magnitude before. I have read through the thread here and this is well acknowledged as I am sure it would be almost universally by footy followers.

In truth, Dustin Martin may not even be the greatest Tiger finals player, we have had plenty of great ones. And Matthews may not have been the greatest Hawk finals player, you have had plenty of great ones. But all these guys are talked about the way they are because for some period of football at the highest level, they seemed unsurpassable. And right at those times, they were. 😁

Last edited:
I saw most of Matthews’ career and most of Bartlett’s. In terms of finals played, possessions and goals they have near enough identical records.

Matthews was a great player, and of course a great finals player. So was Bartlett. Brent Croswell was said to be a great finals player. But footy was different back then and you just cannot compare them fairly with players in the modern era.

The thing is there would have been players like Dick Reynolds, Ron Barassi, and the Colliers and Coventrys and god knows who else I cannot name who were truly great finals players in times prior to our recollection.

For anyone to pop up with Dustin Martin as the greatest finals player of all time with no supporting analysis, is just worthless really, in terms of an assessment. i guess what they are really saying is in this moment they can’t imagine a player having been better in finals.

Having said that, I am not sure I can recall anyone kicking 4 such good goals and being the legitimate best on ground and the difference in a game of this sort of magnitude before. I have read through the thread here and this is well acknowledged as I am sure it would be almost universally by footy followers.

In truth, Dustin Martin may not even be the greatest Tiger finals player, we have had plenty of great ones. And Matthews may not have been the greatest Hawk finals player, you have had plenty of great ones. But all these guys are talked about the way they are because for some period of football at the highest level, they seemed unsurpassable. And right at those times, they were. 😁

Just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I was having a conversation with a mate last night about how good Dusty is, and what he has been able to do the last 5 or so years. The conversation basically led to these types of players who we as fans get to enjoy, and specifically when they’re on your team. Buddy Franklin types, Dustin Martin, Wayne Carey, Lethal etc... these genuine stars who there are one or maybe two per decade in the whole league.

The conversation then led to our Melbourne supporting mate, who has never experienced what it’s like to have one of these players on his team in his life. He’s never experienced what we have, in terms of the team success or the joy of having one of these special types of players on your team delivering silverware.

As you say we’ve been lucky enough to experience this a few times as Hawthorn or Richmond supporters, but you don’t know when the next freak is coming, or if they will be your freak that you get to enjoy more than everyone else.

So enjoy the ride while it lasts mate, who knows when it will come around again.

Back