2020 Grand Final - Pre-game and post-game Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

This is very much an out there suggestion but for anyone who has watched the Netflix exclusive Eurovision Song Contest: Story of Fire Saga film featuring Will Ferrell, the movies original song Husavik ( or my hometown) would fit the mold of a Queensland Grand Final perfectly. Great uplifting song!

If they scrapped that s**t, and the parade and all the non-footy crap, would it then be easier for the AFL to schedule a grand final a week or two out from the event? Ask three of the four preliminary finalists where they'd like to play out of the MCG, SCG, Gabba, Optus, or AO, and the highest-ranking PF winners choice is the venue. I'm sure they'd still sell out if tickets went on sale a week before.

If they scrapped that sh*t, and the parade and all the non-footy crap, would it then be easier for the AFL to schedule a grand final a week or two out from the event? Ask three of the four preliminary finalists where they'd like to play out of the MCG, SCG, Gabba, Optus, or AO, and the highest-ranking PF winners choice is the venue. I'm sure they'd still sell out if tickets went on sale a week before.

but you're getting the money to break/pay out the MCG GF contract from where?

but you're getting the money to break/pay out the MCG GF contract from where?

Preferably, I'd like to rip up the contract, pay nothing, but it's fantasy. I'd have the money to do it and renew the contract to a simple formula that awards the grand final to the highest-ranked preliminary final winner. The only aspect of this I'd be undecided on is if all clubs home grounds are on the table, so Marvel, Geelong, GWS, and Metricon. Crowds and revenue would be secondary to fairness, so any home ground should apply unless those clubs tenants nominate other grounds.

Surely there's plenty of local er 'talent' around. I think this bloke is pretty local these days.

Or at worst, dust off Jackie Love from wherever she's kept these days.

Midnight Oil have an album coming out on October 30th (the following Friday).

The Killers cover of Forgotten Years a few years ago also went down well

Like Guy Sebastian and AC/DC, one of those local mainstream fixtures with a suspiciously close release.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QSO are the first confirmed act, which is a pretty classy get, and given the year a good message to see a large music ensemble working together like that on stage. Would be lovely to have that as the sun dips to the horizon. Wouldn't really suit a typical open sky night game, but a more twilight game is fine, good way to mark a new chapter.

This article from September 7th has them doing renditions of the Lions & Suns club songs: QSO performs state’s AFL anthems

Last edited:
So essentially we're getting an ad for Michael Gudinski Management.

Shepherd and DMA.

I've got no idea. I know Brad Shepherd is the guitarist in the Hoodoo Gurus and DMZ were an ace punk band from Boston.

Not sure if a thread or not, but any news?
Powder Finger?
Savage Garden?
Veronicas?
Regurgitator?
Wolfmother?
Gina G?
Amy Shark?
Fat Mans Cleavage?
Cast of any Channel 7 reality shows?
Hologram performance by an overseas band?
Brisbane Police Marching Band?
Mike Brady?

kinda got some correct

I can't believe we had all these amazing young Australian musos pre-game... and then had them doing covers of songs by artists they couldn't get. They weren't even "lift you up" type songs.

I know Triple J and its listeners harbour an irrational love for it, but if I ever hear DMAs do Cher again the tv/radio/computer/phone may go off the balcony.

Compared to the s**t pre-game, Sheppard seemed phenomenal at half time.

At the game and wolfmother was amazing with the fireworks. Sheppard was awesome as well with the crowd lights l really enjoyed it. The covers although good looked like he was going off a teleprompter

Midnight Oil have an album coming out on October 30th (the following Friday).

The Killers cover of Forgotten Years a few years ago also went down well

Like Guy Sebastian and AC/DC, one of those local mainstream fixtures with a suspiciously close release.
Killers cover of Ice House Electric Blue is outstanding.
I reckon better than the original.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back