AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Will it be at night?
Will there be fireworks?
Will there be pre-game entertainment?
Will there be a sprint?

Could it be held as an afternoon (or twilight) game in Perth meaning twilight (or night) time-slot on east coast?
If no crowd will they have a crowd roar over the PA system after the national anthem?

so many questions....

I don’t want answers. I want everyone to list more questions.
Then we can watch the journos copy pasta

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
We've definitely got a twilight or night grand final coming up. Regardless of the Cox Plate, the temperature and time of year lends itself to starting later than the traditional 2:30pm slot. There's no way they are going to beam the game into Perth at 11:30am local time and 12:30pm in Brisbane.

Probably a 7:25pm start which will have the first half during sunset (scheduled for 7:46pm) - a half time rock concert with the biggest Australian act they can get - followed by the 2nd half in darkness.

I'd personally love it to start at 5pm or 6pm, but if you're gonna move it, Channel Seven will want ratings right through the evening and will get their wish.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
We've definitely got a twilight or night grand final coming up. Regardless of the Cox Plate, the temperature and time of year lends itself to starting later than the traditional 2:30pm slot. There's no way they are going to beam the game into Perth at 11:30am local time and 12:30pm in Brisbane.

Probably a 7:25pm start which will have the first half during sunset (scheduled for 7:46pm) - a half time rock concert with the biggest Australian act they can get - followed by the 2nd half in darkness.

I'd personally love it to start at 5pm or 6pm, but if you're gonna move it, Channel Seven will want ratings right through the evening and will get their wish.

Has the FTA exclusivity clause been extended?

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
The AFL needs to seriously consider holding the GF this year at the home ground of the home team if possible. Marvel if it is a Marvel tenant, MCG if it is a MCG tenant, Perth if it is a WA side etc. The only ground I don't know about is KP since that ground does not really host finals. Even then, why not?

It's likely that we are not going to see huge crowds this year anyway

Will fans be there?
Will we all storm the gates because they can’t stop us all?
Will the game be in the NT?
Will the game be played in 2020?
How much will Essendon win by?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The AFL needs to seriously consider holding the GF this year at the home ground of the home team if possible. Marvel if it is a Marvel tenant, MCG if it is a MCG tenant, Perth if it is a WA side etc. The only ground I don't know about is KP since that ground does not really host finals. Even then, why not?

Dan wont buy that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

halalsnackpack

All Australian
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Play it at 4:30, you can push it back two hours to appease the broadcasters, let them run that horse race at 3pm or so, and still play the game in daylight with a red sherrin to keep the traditionalists happy. Winners all round

Wont happen.

MCG contract notwithstanding, they would have learned from other special case 'one offs' (like Geelong's home final) that they only serve to add to the complaining, and given they almost certainly wont get another chance to move it again for 30 odd years, that's just an annoyance they'd rather avoid.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Wont happen.

MCG contract notwithstanding, they would have learned from other special case 'one offs' (like Geelong's home final) that they only serve to add to the complaining, and given they almost certainly wont get another chance to move it again for 30 odd years, that's just an annoyance they'd rather avoid.
I know that there is a signed contract, but if they are considering moving it to Marvel, then I don’t see why they can’t move it outside of Victoria.

Yes, I understand why the AFL leave it at the MCG in a normal season (capacity in other states is much lower that MCG). The other states are really not building a stadium big enough for a GF. I also know that people are going to complain regardless, but I at least want to see what that would be like now that the GF attendance probably won’t be much anyway.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Will it be at night?
Will there be fireworks?
Will there be pre-game entertainment?
Will there be a sprint?

Could it be held as an afternoon (or twilight) game in Perth meaning twilight (or night) time-slot on east coast?
If no crowd will they have a crowd roar over the PA system after the national anthem?

so many questions....

I don’t want answers. I want everyone to list more questions.
Then we can watch the journos copy pasta
More importantly will it be a genuine full length match for a grand final?
Will not feel like fair dinkum grand final if it is not proper length game.
We only had shorter quarters just in case we needed to load up a lot of games in short space of time.
But if we get a clear run for rest of home and away season and out of winter period we should have the finals become fair dinkum full length games again.
Or at worst, for the last two weekends of the finals.

I know that there is a signed contract, but if they are considering moving it to Marvel, then I don’t see why they can’t move it outside of Victoria.

Yes, I understand why the AFL leave it at the MCG in a normal season (capacity in other states is much lower that MCG). The other states are really not building a stadium big enough for a GF. I also know that people are going to complain regardless, but I at least want to see what that would be like now that the GF attendance probably won’t be much anyway.

Signed contract is with the MCC AND Vic government.

MCC might need to let them off if they cannot host due to timing, but the Vic government wont let them go which is why Marvel is the only option there.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
come on guys
Not the thread for discussions stinking up 90% of other threads. Pose your questions... Your ponderings.. your musings about the big day(night).

Will they have auskick kids presenting medals and giving hats ? And shaking hands?

will there be a virgin flyover?

will there be banners?

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Tame Impala is outside the AFL's budget

Remove this Banner Ad

Back