Autopsy 2020 GWS Annus Horribillis - Best/Worst - What worked/didn't - List Changes etc

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I'd be interested if the club is looking to conduct a formal end of season review - potentially overseen by a third party. These were popular in years gone by but don't seem to happen as much these days.

I worry that the club is going to give itself a free pass this year with the Covid situation but any way you look at it it's incomprehensible that a side with this level of talent and age demographic profile could miss the eight.

The first person to be interviewed for the review should be Deledio. His comments earlier this year that players move away from any plan when things get tight and all try to win it as individuals was damning. And he implied that the coach was fine with this state of affairs.

I suspect this review may risk de-stabilising things on the coaching front so it's a question if Dave Matthews wants to go there given the coaching extension.

SouthernGiant

Debutant
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
I'd be interested if the club is looking to conduct a formal end of season review - potentially overseen by a third party. These were popular in years gone by but don't seem to happen as much these days.

I worry that the club is going to give itself a free pass this year with the Covid situation but any way you look at it it's incomprehensible that a side with this level of talent and age demographic profile could miss the eight.

The first person to be interviewed for the review should be Deledio. His comments earlier this year that players move away from any plan when things get tight and all try to win it as individuals was damning. And he implied that the coach was fine with this state of affairs.

I suspect this review may risk de-stabilising things on the coaching front so it's a question if Dave Matthews wants to go there given the coaching extension.
As much as I believe an external review is required, it wont happen.
unfortunately Dave Matthews has aligned himself with Leon, so he wont risk the external review. The only way Leon gets sacked is if we are as bad again next year, then we will have an assistant take over as caretaker coach for the last half a dozen games. Leon will get the max 6 months payout
I would imagine then HQ might get involved and help us out with a big name coach like Clarkson.

selkie

Rookie
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Given I posted the article from the Roar I wanted to add my response - I totally disagreed with their conclusion about the club having no soul. Every club had to start somewhere. What has been achieved in 10 years is phenomenal. We are making history and it is a very noble thing to bring this great game to the real centre of Sydney. I am part of the Greater West of Sydney - have been all my life. Unless you live in the Eastern Suburbs, or the Lower North Shore or on the beaches you are told you don't count, that you matter less. It's nice to have a team that represents us and can serve it up to those who think they are entitled to win. I have complete faith in the club and the vision of the powerhouse we can become in western Sydney.

I listened to Heater's interview on SEN with Bob Murphy & Andy Maher yesterday - I've paraphrased what he said
"We've retained the feeling of being a local club - everyone is always welcome and anyone can come in and look around...success was built on the struggles of Years 1,2,3 and 4...you had a sense of where it was going and you knew it was on the right track...it's unique and so special.. and the way we do things and go about things...it's still on the right track"

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Given I posted the article from the Roar I wanted to add my response - I totally disagreed with their conclusion about the club having no soul. Every club had to start somewhere. What has been achieved in 10 years is phenomenal. We are making history and it is a very noble thing to bring this great game to the real centre of Sydney. I am part of the Greater West of Sydney - have been all my life. Unless you live in the Eastern Suburbs, or the Lower North Shore or on the beaches you are told you don't count, that you matter less. It's nice to have a team that represents us and can serve it up to those who think they are entitled to win. I have complete faith in the club and the vision of the powerhouse we can become in western Sydney.

I listened to Heater's interview on SEN with Bob Murphy & Andy Maher yesterday - I've paraphrased what he said
"We've retained the feeling of being a local club - everyone is always welcome and anyone can come in and look around...success was built on the struggles of Years 1,2,3 and 4...you had a sense of where it was going and you knew it was on the right track...it's unique and so special.. and the way we do things and go about things...it's still on the right track"

Well said, keep up posts like this and never leave lol

Hey guys! sorry to intrude but I just wanted to get a feel from the experts on what you might be expecting/comfortable to receive in exchange for Langdon?

That is of course if the rumors are indeed true he wants out and to wce etc.

Sorry if this isn’t the proper thread.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think we'd get a whole lot. Probably just a rise up the order with a pick swap (like 40ish to 30ish.or similar) or late future pick.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
He was a pick in the 50s, had a good first year, then injured, and didn't really recover to play well in the third year. Nothing much in return for him unfortunately - he looked awesome in 2018. WCE will get a bargain if they can get him back to that level.

Back