2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Something I don't quite understand with these reports...

Our players only finished the season 10 or 11 weeks ago.
I'm guessing they all take a break from serious training but maintain fitness so they don't come back in worse shape than they left.

I don't get how there can be any significant change between now and then.
Surely any signs of improvement etc will show out in Jan and Feb after pre-season?
Their fitness levels etc today should be just representative of what they finished last season with surely?

I'm guessing they all take a break from serious training but maintain fitness so they don't come back in worse shape than they left.

Surely any signs of improvement etc will show out in Jan and Feb after pre-season?
Their fitness levels etc today should be just representative of what they finished last season with surely?
No some have been in the gym others have come back fitter and stronger jiath, moore and jones. Even Ross has vome back fitter. Hanrahan has a lot of work to do. H ed will find himself behind the others

I’m still in awe of Scullys recovery, this time last year he had ex team mates questioning his ability to ever play again.

Exciting times ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having to recover from a game really changes what your training loads can be.
Add to that a week or two of actual rest can do wonders for you

Only takes 3 weeks of no exercise to lose your conditioning. This can be tough for young players who don't have 6+ pre seasons under their belt and haven't found their correct relax/training balance.

Only takes 3 weeks of no exercise to lose your conditioning. This can be tough for young players who don't have 6+ pre seasons under their belt and haven't found their correct relax/training balance.
What’s the definition of conditioning in that statement?

What’s the definition of conditioning in that statement?

Ability to run out a full match at full fitness or compete a high intensity training session. So 11 weeks off without that continuity (even if you are doing your own sessions) will definitely see players return with plenty of room for improvement.

Ability to run out a full match at full fitness or compete a high intensity training session. So 11 weeks off without that continuity (even if you are doing your own sessions) will definitely see players return with plenty of room for improvement.
Yeh, 11 weeks sounds more like it.

3 weeks, not so much.

Rest is just as important as exercise when it comes to increasing muscle size.

Rest is just as important as exercise when it comes to increasing muscle size.

Sure, but all the comments this time of year make it sound like everyone is 10% better than last year after 1 week back from an 11 week break.
It doesn't add up.

Sure, but all the comments this time of year make it sound like everyone is 10% better than last year after 1 week back from an 11 week break.
It doesn't add up.
Players lose weight during the season, they carry niggles they get beat up physically and mentally.

They can hit the weights harder plus put a bit of body fat back on, out the two together and most players come back looking bigger, some of it is muscle but not all of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that is a very reasonable comparison.

In that they take their opportunities and are built like stick figures, not much else.

I think Gunston is probably Ross' most reasonable comparison in the league, and that's not just from watching Gunston more than others. There's that element of a crafty half forward who takes their chances, despite not being the most athletic player. Gunston has that knack for getting the ball to foot quickly and kicking goals from situations where you don't expect it, and that's Ross' game too. Takes half chances, crumbs well and leads smart.

There are a lot of people who would look at Ross and not be overly excited by his play, simply because he doesn't look like an AFL footballer and has no genuine pace or stand out 'wow' traits - but he hits the scoreboard. Plenty of players fail in this caper despite having all the tools simply because they can't do that.

In that they take their opportunities and are built like stick figures, not much else.

I think Gunston is probably Ross' most reasonable comparison in the league, and that's not just from watching Gunston more than others. There's that element of a crafty half forward who takes their chances, despite not being the most athletic player. Gunston has that knack for getting the ball to foot quickly and kicking goals from situations where you don't expect it, and that's Ross' game too. Takes half chances, crumbs well and leads smart.

There are a lot of people who would look at Ross and not be overly excited by his play, simply because he doesn't look like an AFL footballer and has no genuine pace or stand out 'wow' traits - but he hits the scoreboard. Plenty of players fail in this caper despite having all the tools simply because they can't do that.

Yup, Judgey was like that. Lovely leap but little else special physically, but just had a feel for where to be, when to go, have clean hands and gather, and get the shot off on goal.
In other parts of the ground the lack of A+ athletic traits make it difficult in todays game to not be found out (see Morrison), but special feel for forward play can make a spot for any shape or size.

I like Ross more than most. Reckon he has 'it'.

Ross I don't know about the kid. This will be his 3rd year in the system.
I feel if he doesn't make inroads into the senior side (I cant see who'll he replace unless we have a spate of injuries) he may be lost to us at the end of 2020 either traded out or delisted.
Seen him at Box Hill - very much a one trick pony. Have Walker well in front of him for a debut too.
Now Walker i can see him blooming into a regular senior player.

Ross I don't know about the kid. This will be his 3rd year in the system.
I feel if he doesn't make inroads into the senior side (I cant see who'll he replace unless we have a spate of injuries) he may be lost to us at the end of 2020 either traded out or delisted.
Seen him at Box Hill - very much a one trick pony. Have Walker well in front of him for a debut too.
Now Walker i can see him blooming into a regular senior player.

Handy to be a one trick pony when your trick is kicking goals.

Michael Tuck was very thin and wiry AND as strong and tough as any hawthorn player in the 80/90’s. So called size can be ver deceptive with players. I’m tipping Ross is already much stronger than when he joined, and that is all that really matters.

True but Rossy’s around the same weight as Kade and 10cm taller. Imagine how easy he’d be to knock over. As someone said, he’s rail thin up close. Suspect he’ll always be a lithe build but he’ll need to get bigger. I’ve watched him up close at BHH many times and seen him brushed off the ball and unable to stick tackles. There are successful light, agile builds and then there are skinny builds unable to compete with larger physiques of the contemporary game.

I’d be surprised if the club doesn’t load a few more kilos onto his frame. He has that “something” that natural sports talents have, we just need him to be a more rounded player. In all senses ;)

True but Rossy’s around the same weight as Kade and 10cm taller. Imagine how easy he’d be to knock over. As someone said, he’s rail thin up close. Suspect he’ll always be a lithe build but he’ll need to get bigger. I’ve watched him up close at BHH many times and seen him brushed off the ball and unable to stick tackles. There are successful light, agile builds and then there are skinny builds unable to compete with larger physiques of the contemporary game.

I’d be surprised if the club doesn’t load a few more kilos onto his frame. He has that “something” that natural sports talents have, we just need him to be a more rounded player. In all senses ;)

Don't think this will be his go, not that it won't be important at times. He'll float in and around the ball and be class with it. Or he won't make it at all.
Be better in the air than his opponent with real goal sense, because there's nothing like having some guys who help put scoreboard pressure on the opponent. As with my earlier analogy of Ken Judge, those teams of the 80's weren't filled ONLY with HE men, there were roles for others whose gifts added the seasoning to a very taste bouillabaisse.
Also, the bodies don't get much bigger and more mature at AFL level over VFL, they're just more talented. He's still a kid often coming up against men, in every sense of the word.
Reckon he gets just that right amount bit better every year. Not a Poppy or Breust or any other type we're running out on the ground right now, he'll need to be special at the things he can offer.
Lets see, because he was making some highlight games last year at the lower level and forwards who can be effective game in game out are gold. Don't think we should rush to focus on what he can't do right this minute.

That's the thing with Walker - hes been getting into packs much more. Not sure if that (comparison) is natural or instructions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back