2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

You say 10 VFL games in like its nothing.
That's half a season....

He only played that many last year!

Exactly. By the end of this season he will essentially be a year's development behind his peers already. With an average career length just over 3 seasons, there will be significant pressure on his 2021 to show significant development.

Lucky Hawthorn are prepared to wait for their draftees to grow up (especially for talls) - many clubs would be inching his name towards the delist pile if he isn't performing by end of next year.

Exactly. By the end of this season he will essentially be a year's development behind his peers already. With an average career length just over 3 seasons, there will be significant pressure on his 2021 to show significant development.

Lucky Hawthorn are prepared to wait for their draftees to grow up (especially for talls) - many clubs would be inching his name towards the delist pile if he isn't performing by end of next year.
Given his injuries, our lack of depth for KPD, and patience, he's got plenty of time. I still don't see how his season is over. Walker played less than 10 games last year also. Hanrahan missed large chunks of his first few seasons

You say 10 VFL games in like its nothing.
That's half a season....

I agree with MrPremiership here. 10 weeks is half a season of development. Pending the outcome of the surgery, it's not season over. He won't play AFL, but he will continue his development trajectory, albeit likely missing half a year's development - not a full year's.

I agree with MrPremiership here. 10 weeks is half a season of development. Pending the outcome of the surgery, it's not season over. He won't play AFL, but he will continue his development trajectory, albeit likely missing half a year's development - not a full year's.

He's already half a year behind (only 10 games last year).
If he misses another half year (only 10 games this year)....then he's "a year" behind in development.

Bolded is the key point I'm trying (failing) to make. From an AFL perspective in 2020, his season is essentially over.

If he misses another half year (only 10 games this year)....then he's "a year" behind in development.

Bolded is the key point I'm trying (failing) to make. From an AFL perspective in 2020, his season is essentially over.
I don't think he was much chance to play AFL anyway.

Frawley, Frost, Hartley, Big Boy and Sicily all ahead of him

Only 3

Breust and Smith for the All Stars

Sicily for the Vics
Now if they can just come down with a case of the sniffles that would be great.

A lot of jumping at shadows around here. Let's see what we are told about the injury first.

sven_inc what sort of shoulder injuries typically require surgery and what sort of recovery periods?

Kosi is a good size so missing half a year's development wouldn't be the same as someone like Day who would genuinely be setback if he was unable to lift weights for a considerable period. Case by case rather than sweeping generalisations.

Last edited:
A lot of jumping at shadows around here. Let's see what we are told about the injury first.

sven_inc what sort of shoulder injuries typically require surgery and what sort of recovery periods?

Kosi is a good size so missing half a year's development wouldn't be the same as someone like Day who would genuinely be setback if he was unable to lift weights for a considerable period. Case by case rather than sweeping generalisations.
RR, you need to tag sven_inc if you want to alert them to your post

Kosi had shoulder surgery yesterday. Gee the club is s**t at communicating these things. Sounds like the season gone. Poor kid.
That really sux for Kossi’s development. I was looking forward to him kicking on this year.

I guess it can possibly open the door for another player like the other kid (Cassar) who was looking to be competing with Minch for that last spot if Kosi goes LTI list.

Sounded like he was worth a shot from the match report guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone confirm, Smith, Bruest and Sicily to miss thursday game due to state of origin?
We Should get our first look at Hartley

Can anyone confirm, Smith, Bruest and Sicily to miss thursday game due to state of origin?
We Should get our first look at Hartley
State of origin is the 28th Feb. Hence those 3 would miss the 2nd game v saints that week.

For an AFL footballer there can be a few issues that you'd operate on - especially this time of year. Being a young bloke and at the start of the year, the club would probably be more conservative and more inclined to have the surgery rather than play through the issue and manage it.

The main one would be a shoulder dislocation where the arm pops out of the socket, which is what I think Kossy may have done? It's not great news for his season if true. Rehab from a shoulder dislocation obviously varies, but it's at least 3 months for most. It takes a while to get the joint moving post surgery (often the biggest issue) considering they're generally stuck in a sling for a while from the outset (personally hate this).

He might be back towards the back end of the year depending on how he recovers and how smooth his rehab has gone.

If it was more of a broken collarbone or isolated bone break he'd be back much faster with surgery, but I'm not sure that's what happened to him.

Either way, I wish him well, he looks like he'll be a great servant of the club!

For an AFL footballer there can be a few issues that you'd operate on - especially this time of year. Being a young bloke and at the start of the year, the club would probably be more conservative and more inclined to have the surgery rather than play through the issue and manage it.

The main one would be a shoulder dislocation where the arm pops out of the socket, which is what I think Kossy may have done? It's not great news for his season if true. Rehab from a shoulder dislocation obviously varies, but it's at least 3 months for most. It takes a while to get the joint moving post surgery (often the biggest issue) considering they're generally stuck in a sling for a while from the outset (personally hate this).

He might be back towards the back end of the year depending on how he recovers and how smooth his rehab has gone.

If it was more of a broken collarbone or isolated bone break he'd be back much faster with surgery, but I'm not sure that's what happened to him.

Either way, I wish him well, he looks like he'll be a great servant of the club!
bro, stemcells.
He will be back in a month - Joe Rogan told me.

Kosi had shoulder surgery yesterday. Gee the club is s**t at communicating these things. Sounds like the season gone. Poor kid.

Depending on what they had to do to his shoulder it may not be season over. If he's had a plate inserted then its not beyond the realms of possibility that he could be back. It all really depends on how bad the dislocation was of coarse. Anyways I'm sure the BUPA report will guide us… too soon 😋

Remove this Banner Ad

Back