2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say we have that many players under an injury cloud?
Out for Round 1: Impey + Kosi (unlikely to have played anyway)

Who would be 'In Doubt': Nobody that I can think of. Minchington, perhaps? I don't think Scrimshaw has done the whole pre-season, so maybe he's in doubt?

'Under a cloud': Gunston - anyone else?

Out for Round 1: Impey + Kosi (unlikely to have played anyway)

Who would be 'In Doubt': Nobody that I can think of. Minchington, perhaps? I don't think Scrimshaw has done the whole pre-season, so maybe he's in doubt?

'Under a cloud': Gunston - anyone else?
Yeah Impey obviously out for most of the year if not all. Of players who are best 25-28 the only ones I can think of with injury clouds are Gunston, Scrimshaw and Mitchell. Howe, Moore have been restricted but not really in the frame for Round 1.

With Mitchell playing Marsh series hopefully hes right round 1. Not sure im missing anyone else?

My only counter to that is that the coaches were pleased enough with his performances in the backline (I think there were more than just the WC game) to send him back through the preseason. From there they have loved what they have seen from Big Boy in defence and Cegs as No1 ruck. "Yze: Big Boy will start at centre half back. We’ve loved what we’ve seen from him down there this pre-season which will also give Ceglar the chance to thrive as the first ruck"

You could read into that that they are giving Cegs first crack at ruck and finding a spot for BigBoy. Would make sense based on the contract loyalty from the club and Cegs last year. But for them to commit that to Cegs they have to love the idea of him being no1 ruck or they would have let him walk.

I think we are all a little scarred from Campbell going back in 2009. BB is a different beast to Robbie.

Don't disagree with any of that but I have some reservations. Imo GWS were mad not to woo Cegs. They now have two dinosaurs.

We certainly appear to be going tall. Big Boy playing back, Cegs rucking around the ground and Patton rucking up forward. We are up to something.

No one will like this but it would be a fantastic problem to have if he pushed Shiels out. He seems the most likely candidate. Both elite tanks but Finn will hopefully develop into a Shiels 2.0

For the record I love Shiels and his leadership is something Finn wouldn't replace but I think he is the most similar midfielder we have and I believe Finn will end up a much better player if he continues to develop the way he is.
Whilst I agree he could become a better player with development, I wouldn't think he would achieve that development for a couple years at least. I'd actually suggest Shiels is probably one of the more irreplaceable members of our midfield purely for the amount of defensive work that he does which frees up our other mids to be more attacking.

Don't disagree with any of that but I have some reservations. Imo GWS were mad not to woo Cegs. They now have two dinosaurs.

We certainly appear to be going tall. Big Boy playing back, Cegs rucking around the ground and Patton rucking up forward. We are up to something.
Agree. We are up to something. I am sure it is Clarko realising we don't have the cattle to run with the manic pressure game that we implemented and the bulldogs, Richmond have run with since. We don't have the foot skills/ experience to play pure possession footy to counter it anymore either. who knows but I am sure the plan he has is to innovate rather than copy and chase

Yeah Impey obviously out for most of the year if not all. Of players who are best 25-28 the only ones I can think of with injury clouds are Gunston, Scrimshaw and Mitchell. Howe, Moore have been restricted but not really in the frame for Round 1.

With Mitchell playing Marsh series hopefully hes right round 1. Not sure im missing anyone else?

That interview on the HFC website with Impey said he's likely to miss the first half of the season which I found odd. I wan't him back as much as anyone but not if it means it puts his health at risk. I'd much rather him back in 2021 100% ready to go with a proper preseason under his belt similar to what Mitchell has gone through. I say give that ACL 18 months to totally heal so there's no chance the graft fails or even worse he does the opposite ACL which has a high percentage of happening anyways. I'll back our medicos to do the right thing by Jars and really hope he come back when he's ready.

Whilst I agree he could become a better player with development, I wouldn't think he would achieve that development for a couple years at least. I'd actually suggest Shiels is probably one of the more irreplaceable members of our midfield purely for the amount of defensive work that he does which frees up our other mids to be more attacking.
100% on Shiels defensive work but that is usually the midfielder most replaceable if you have someone else with the tank and hunger to do it. Will Langford would have been the perfect Shiels replacement if he didn't turn it over so often. I don't think Finn will take a couple of years. I think we'll see similar development to Worpel but who knows

Agree. We are up to something. I am sure it is Clarko realising we don't have the cattle to run with the manic pressure game that we implemented and the bulldogs, Richmond have run with since. We don't have the foot skills/ experience to play pure possession footy to counter it anymore either. who knows but I am sure the plan he has is to innovate rather than copy and chase

Frawley, Big Boy, Sicily, Stratton, Scrimshaw and Hardwick can all take a grab. Not sure on Frost and Hartley. A few of those boys will be playing small this year. Having said that if you go in tall against us you will find it tough going. How we line up in the wet will be interesting.

Clarko may feel he has the depth to go horses for courses again.

Favor to ask !

This is very loosely related to pre-season training in that I was over from Adelaide watching the intra club game on Friday and left a hawks umbrella (12 hrs old - used once ) on the plane back to Adelaide. Seems the umbrella is now in Virgin baggage in Brisbane!!!

Is anyone here or does anyone know of a Hawks fan in Brissy ? If they make themselves known and can get to the Airport happy for them to have it.

One things for sure in that we'll all know soon enough. It kind of feels like being a kid about to open a Christmas present. Lets just hope that its not an anti-climax in the form of a can of Lynx and a packet on undies 😂

Frawley, Big Boy, Sicily, Stratton, Scrimshaw and Hardwick can all take a grab. Not sure on Frost and Hartley. A few of those boys will be playing small this year. Having said that if you go in tall against us you will find it tough going. How we line up in the wet will be interesting.

Clarko may feel he has the depth to go horses for courses again.
Yeah the wet will be interesting. Surely we'd have to adjust slightly. Hardwick, Stratton, Frost can all play on smalls. Hardwick is good below the knees, Stratts is smart enough in the wet but unsure on Frost in the wet. Maybe he'd be the out. Hartley is the other unknown. Seems quick and is a good user apparently. We seem to have an abundance of good sized mobile athletes and then BigBoy who is a fantastic athlete but doesn't come across as mobile

"Will be out for up to 6 weeks".

Any idea what the 6-week timeframe is with reference to? Surely he's not training etc. again within 6x weeks?
If this was a BUPA report six weeks would mean he was dead.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they would be frustrating to support. When I re-watched this game recently (R23, 2019) both Darling and Kennedy had opportunities to put us away (much like in the GF). There will be other sides that are not that forgiving. Not sure 1 game is a decent enough body of work to make bold predictions on McEvoy being a sound CHB.

It's not. But posters like Tassie Cryptic do like to tell us to never question anything, so here we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back