2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I'm the most excited for is how many players have room to improve their output for us this year.

Being realistic I can see greater output from the following:

- Chad (not injured)
- Scully (not injured)
- Scrimshaw (not injured)
- Mitchell (not injured)
- Gunston (not injured)
- Breust (not injured)
- Patton (not injured, crucial role)
- Frost (natural progression)
- Lewis (natural progression)
- Worpel (natural progression)

That's a huge boost to our mid/fwd lines. Theres a lot of 1st round/AA level talent there! Obviously a bunch of younger guys could step up but anything beyond these 10 is a huge bonus.

Headed out to Waverley on a sunny but cool afternoon for today’s session. It was a long session today with plenty going on and some extended match simulation. The session appeared to be run by Sam Mitchell. Clarko was out there but was just watching on.

First some observations on the new draftees:

Will Day is a natural footballer with very clean skills and an uncanny ability to make his own space and avoid being tackled. He will be a gem of a pickup.

Finn Maginess looks very much at home amongst the other mids in terms of build and ability. He took part in all of the clearance drills with the senior guys. You wouldn’t know he is in his first week as an AFL player. With a preseason under Sam Mitchell and working alongside Tom Mitchell, Worpel Omeara etc. it will be exciting to see what he is capable of.

Jeka is a very good size.

Didn’t see too much of Morris but he reminds me a bit of Mark Le Cras in the way he moves.

Other players that stood out:

Tom Mitchell is looking really good. Took part in some fairly intense ball drills, turning and kicking without breaking stride. No longer just straight-line work. Looking good for an early season return.

Kosi had a blinder of a session. Alternating between defence and forward. He was reading the flight really well, always making a contest and crashing packs, took a couple of good grabs as well. He had a great moment where he ran down a smaller quicker player which I think was Chad, but not 100% sure.

CJ was just wreaking havoc, the good kind of havoc, in defence. His massive leap allows him to get his hands above everyone else’s and either spoil or mark. His positioning has really improved as well. He hassles and chases and gives his opponent no time or space to think. Adam Yze was very complimentary of his work.

Worpel’s kicks into the forward 50 were a thing of beauty. Low, flat bullets, hitting Breust on the chest.

Chad was playing mid and pushing forward, kicking goals. Can't wait to see what he does in 2020.

Frosty will play Round 1 I reckon. I really like what I saw. He is very, very quick, and very, very aggressive. Get’s himself in the right places.

Harry Morrison was noteworthy today. Playing at halfback, using his clean skills and footy nous to get the ball to the advantage of his teammates.

Tom Scully was everywhere. Ran the full length of the field, took a great mark in the forward line, went back and kicked the goal. He will be a weapon in 2020 now that he knows the game plan and is fully fit.

Patton is a gun.

Minchington looks very good.

Mat Walker has become a really big unit.

Lewis is definitely bigger. Looks quite imposing.

Golds, Ceglar & Jaegar ran many, many laps, did not participate in drills.

Ross did some drills but was then on the bike.

Glass ran laps.

Impey was out there doing handball drills.

Gunners just observed the whole session from the sideline.

There was another bloke out there that I didn't recognise, but having checked on the Google I think it might be Luke Partington. Can't be sure though

That’s it for now. I’ll be away for a week but should be able to get to a session late next week.

HOO RAH.
Damn Axeman, you make this joint jump and jive.:hearteyes:

He sounds as Aussie as you can get to me. I’d bet he was born here if I didn’t know different.

One of those things I always love beyond beyond is hearing a broad Aussie accent come out of a face you might preconceive shouldn't. Reminds me to debunk any unwanted unthinking biases that lie hideously within me (i consciously try to fight ignorance everyday) and champion the beauty that is a world of humanity that can grow it's roots or reposition them anywhere and bless us with extraordinary blooms.
Just feels good.
Would luv this kid to make it big time.

Last edited:
One of those things I always love beyond beyond is hearing a broad Aussie accent come out of a face you might preconceive shouldn't. Reminds me to debunk any unwanted unthinking biases that lie hideously within me (i conciously try to fight ignorance everyday) and champion the beauty that is a world of humanity that can grow it's roots or reposition them anywhere and bless us with extraordinary blooms.
Just feels good.
Would luv this kid to make it big time.
...and, also, to remember to afford the same humanity towards people who don't sound like you. Yeah?
;)

Headed out to Waverley on a sunny but cool afternoon for today’s session. It was a long session today with plenty going on and some extended match simulation. The session appeared to be run by Sam Mitchell. Clarko was out there but was just watching on.

First some observations on the new draftees:

Will Day is a natural footballer with very clean skills and an uncanny ability to make his own space and avoid being tackled. He will be a gem of a pickup.

Finn Maginess looks very much at home amongst the other mids in terms of build and ability. He took part in all of the clearance drills with the senior guys. You wouldn’t know he is in his first week as an AFL player. With a preseason under Sam Mitchell and working alongside Tom Mitchell, Worpel Omeara etc. it will be exciting to see what he is capable of.

Jeka is a very good size.

Didn’t see too much of Morris but he reminds me a bit of Mark Le Cras in the way he moves.

Other players that stood out:

Tom Mitchell is looking really good. Took part in some fairly intense ball drills, turning and kicking without breaking stride. No longer just straight-line work. Looking good for an early season return.

Kosi had a blinder of a session. Alternating between defence and forward. He was reading the flight really well, always making a contest and crashing packs, took a couple of good grabs as well. He had a great moment where he ran down a smaller quicker player which I think was Chad, but not 100% sure.

CJ was just wreaking havoc, the good kind of havoc, in defence. His massive leap allows him to get his hands above everyone else’s and either spoil or mark. His positioning has really improved as well. He hassles and chases and gives his opponent no time or space to think. Adam Yze was very complimentary of his work.

Worpel’s kicks into the forward 50 were a thing of beauty. Low, flat bullets, hitting Breust on the chest.

Chad was playing mid and pushing forward, kicking goals. Can't wait to see what he does in 2020.

Frosty will play Round 1 I reckon. I really like what I saw. He is very, very quick, and very, very aggressive. Get’s himself in the right places.

Harry Morrison was noteworthy today. Playing at halfback, using his clean skills and footy nous to get the ball to the advantage of his teammates.

Tom Scully was everywhere. Ran the full length of the field, took a great mark in the forward line, went back and kicked the goal. He will be a weapon in 2020 now that he knows the game plan and is fully fit.

Patton is a gun.

Minchington looks very good.

Mat Walker has become a really big unit.

Lewis is definitely bigger. Looks quite imposing.

Golds, Ceglar & Jaegar ran many, many laps, did not participate in drills.

Ross did some drills but was then on the bike.

Glass ran laps.

Impey was out there doing handball drills.

Gunners just observed the whole session from the sideline.

There was another bloke out there that I didn't recognise, but having checked on the Google I think it might be Luke Partington. Can't be sure though

That’s it for now. I’ll be away for a week but should be able to get to a session late next week.

giphy.gif

how did they go with their 2019 predictions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how did they go with their 2019 predictions?

Went okay, pretty much only missed the meteoric rise of Brisbane and the meteoric fall of Melbourne.

WINS
1.RICHMOND14.8
2.MELBOURNE14.8
3.GWS14.3
4.WEST COAST14.1
5.GEELONG13.6
6.COLLINGWOOD13.2
7.ESSENDON13.0
8.ADELAIDE12.8
9.Hawthorn11.9
10.Port Adelaide11.6
11.North Melbourne10.6
12.Brisbane9.5
13.St Kilda9.5
14.Western Bulldogs8.7
15.Sydney8.3
16.Fremantle7.3
17.Carlton4.8
18.Gold Coast3.6

Missing on the dogs too i guess but yeah that is pretty good.

Went okay, pretty much only missed the meteoric rise of Brisbane and the meteoric fall of Melbourne.

WINS
1.RICHMOND14.8
2.MELBOURNE14.8
3.GWS14.3
4.WEST COAST14.1
5.GEELONG13.6
6.COLLINGWOOD13.2
7.ESSENDON13.0
8.ADELAIDE12.8
9.Hawthorn11.9
10.Port Adelaide11.6
11.North Melbourne10.6
12.Brisbane9.5
13.St Kilda9.5
14.Western Bulldogs8.7
15.Sydney8.3
16.Fremantle7.3
17.Carlton4.8
18.Gold Coast3.6

thats pretty darn good

thats pretty darn good

Hell of a lot more accurate than many others. Bear in mind this was end of 2018 predictions for 2019 too so it got it relatively accurately from really early on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back