2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

This was from Silk's 300th yeah?
Poppy booted 2 monsters in the last quarter and we came from the clouds inside the last minute or so to snatch it..
Obviously Mr Break Glass was instrumental in the dying stages out of the centre!

Yeah the game that started 'free kick Hawthorn' cos apparently this wasn't 'in the back' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the back.jpg

Yep. That started it. Social media propaganda was the only way they could bring us down.
Well, only after they realised that manipulating the fixture steeled us for more success.

It's Robbie Campbell all over again...and that worked really well. BigBoy may not be as quick as Robbie, but with 'bombing it long into the forward line' slowly coming back in, BigBoy will have a huge advantage with his pack-marking and reading of the ball/play.
I thought the idea of BB playing as a key back was a little weird, but now I'm really warming to it. What a masterstroke it will be for Clarko if he pulls this off.
How exciting...
Is McEvoy going to play as a KPD though? It's not a bad assumption to think that what will be our tallest player in the back 50 will play on an opposition KPF. But it makes more sense to me based on our list that the two traditional KPDs will be Frawley and Frost. They have the attributes to play on strong, leading forwards. McEvoy lacks the burst of speed to go with most KPF on the lead. His advantage will be out marking most opposition players at the drop of a high ball - especially if he's not manning up on a KPF.

Plonk McEvoy right in the dangerous space in front of goal and the opposition will likely start kicking their entries shallower and/or towards the dead space out in the pockets. He might end a game without much in the way of stats but if he can make the opposition direct their entries to spaces that have a far lower goal conversion rate then it will be a huge win for us.

The only aspect I don't like about BB playing back is we've given all clubs a 6 month head start in coming up with a counter plan. Would've been better to spring the surprise from round 1.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I doubt it's causing much, if any concern at the moment. There's quite a few other clubs that would be more concerning to opposition coaches than us at the moment. Even within Hawthorn there's probably more concerning match ups to consider counters for... Wingard's late season form once he made the move to the midfield. The return of Tom Mitchell. Where James Sicily will play and how to stop him when he's on. Or a forward line consisting of any combination of players with very strong contested marking and relatively good goal kicking accuracy (ie. Lewis, Patton, Gunston, Sicily, O'Brien).

I doubt it's causing much, if any concern at the moment. There's quite a few other clubs that would be more concerning to opposition coaches than us at the moment. Even within Hawthorn there's probably more concerning match ups to consider counters for... Wingard's late season form once he made the move to the midfield. The return of Tom Mitchell. Where James Sicily will play and how to stop him when he's on. Or a forward line consisting of any combination of players with very strong contested marking and relatively good goal kicking accuracy (ie. Lewis, Patton, Gunston, Sicily, O'Brien).

Agree, hypothetically, imo these sides should improve:

a) WCE should improve with Nic Nat having more time to heal/train and Kelly added to their midfield.
b) Richmond have great depth and should be more consistent with a better run injury wise. Will be hard to beat still.
c) The Dogs are on the up with a maturing battle ready list and a terrific midfield group.
d) Brisbane great coaching group and see the Dogs.
e) Saints have added some important depth and have a coach who has nothing to lose with the added bonus of being a Hawthorn stalwart.
f) GWS see Richmond.
g) Next us. Patton, Mitchell back, Wingard. Some quality there. Will need to find someone else from the list to step up imo to really challenge, along with a good run injury wise.
h) Melbourne focussing on contested footy all pre-season. Expect a better outfit than last year.

-------------
As for the rest Port and the Pies most likely. These two will still probably be better than Melbourne realistically. Throw a blanket over the rest.

Posted in anticipation of a Nostradamus tag.

Agree, hypothetically, imo these sides should improve:

a) WCE should improve with Nic Nat having more time to heal/train and Kelly added to their midfield.
b) Richmond have great depth and should be more consistent with a better run injury wise. Will be hard to beat still.
c) The Dogs are on the up with a maturing battle ready list and a terrific midfield group.
d) Brisbane great coaching group and see the Dogs.
e) Saints have added some important depth and have a coach who has nothing to lose with the added bonus of being a Hawthorn stalwart.
f) GWS see Richmond.
g) Next us. Patton, Mitchell back, Wingard. Some quality there. Will need to find someone else from the list to step up imo to really challenge, along with a good run injury wise.
h) Melbourne focussing on contested footy all pre-season. Expect a better outfit than last year.

-------------
As for the rest Port and the Pies most likely. These two will still probably be better than Melbourne realistically. Throw a blanket over the rest.

Posted in anticipation of a Nostradamus tag.
Melbourne were fourth on average contested possessions and 3rd last in disposal efficiency, and worst for inside 50 efficiency. Mind boggling that they think their problem is contested football...🤦‍♂️

Melbourne were fourth on average contested possessions and 3rd last in disposal efficiency, and worst for inside 50 efficiency. Mind boggling that they think their problem is contested football...🤦‍♂️
A Melbourne man with contacts told me this the other day, go figure. I did not check the stats but there you go. Might explain a lot.

The only aspect I don't like about BB playing back is we've given all clubs a 6 month head start in coming up with a counter plan. Would've been better to spring the surprise from round 1.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Haha how? Train in private during pre-season?

The best the Hawks have been was when they had a rock ape named Lake and Stratton Frawley and co could play on the smaller types.

Frawley Stratton and Frost all have incredible closing speed

McEvoy is one of our best contested marks just like Lake was.

Will he play that role every week...No.

Will he be very useful against man mountains like Hawkins, Kennedy, Lynch etc when we play those sides....absolutely yes.

My point being don’t stress about what is happening now at training. We will need everything to go right and back up plans galore if we believe we are in the mix to compete this year and personally I love that we exploring all avenues.

Go Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McEvoy can’t read the play, aye? He’ must have been very lucky with all that contested marking around the ground. The old ‘right place, right time‘ must make him look a little better than he actually is?
Um... you realise that CONTESTED marking means everyone is at he drop of the ball yeah? Like every one reads the play to the same level yeah? Well someone who is good at reading the play is on their own when the ball drops. Lake taking intercept marks on his own is reading the play well. Taking contested marks is doing as well as all the people around you.

I am not saying McEvoy doesn't read the play well I am just saying citing contested marking as a criterion for read the play well isn't getting you anywhere.

The best the Hawks have been was when they had a rock ape named Lake and Stratton Frawley and co could play on the smaller types.

Frawley Stratton and Frost all have incredible closing speed

McEvoy is one of our best contested marks just like Lake was.

Will he play that role every week...No.

Will he be very useful against man mountains like Hawkins, Kennedy, Lynch etc when we play those sides....absolutely yes.

My point being don’t stress about what is happening now at training. We will need everything to go right and back up plans galore if we believe we are in the mix to compete this year and personally I love that we exploring all avenues.

Go Hawks.
Exactly this. Well said LMS!👍

We both clearly spend too much time in class

Where some of us skip our classes. some will stay with blank looks. Then there are Others like yourself, who bring in survival rations as you eagerly take on the days assignments. Then there is threesixpio who brings in a tent, gun in hand to defend the fort at any cost.

Friend of mine works in the Bairnsdale DELWP centre, she said a few Hawks came in the other week to pick up a travel permit and a mini excavator. Not being a Hawks supporter she didn't know who they were, but one of them had the appropriate ticket for operating a digger.
No training Friday for some boys who went around the state to help with the bushfire affected towns

Friend of mine works in the Bairnsdale DELWP centre, she said a few Hawks came in the other week to pick up a travel permit and a mini excavator. Not being a Hawks supporter she didn't know who they were, but one of them had the appropriate ticket for operating a digger.
Gil hasn't gone missing, has he?

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably Poppy with the excavator license..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back