2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they are different players. He could play the Poppy role better than all of them if we get his strings right.
He's a good size and age, strong with decent burst. Nice stop gap/depth / backup IF they get him right.
That's a pretty big IF

That's a pretty big IF

There's a pretty big IF for any late rookie pick to play a senior game at all anyway. It's not like we're denying the next Buddy a list spot to keep him round.

There's a pretty big IF for any late rookie pick to play a senior game at all anyway. It's not like we're denying the next Buddy a list spot to keep him round.
Yeah, I'm not bothered if he gets rookied...but I'm honestly not expecting a major change in outcomes from those in his demonstrated history

That's a pretty big IF
Which is why he's not on the list and just training with us.
I can see why they want to get him right given his attributes vs the kids we have.
Pretty low opportunity cost bet, doesn't matter that the payout chance is also low.

Headed out to Waverley at the rather unusual time of 1pm today to catch my first session for the year.

Only notable absentee was Ceglar. Everyone else was accounted for.

Training away from the main group were O’Meara, Jones, Nash, Glass, Mitchell, Hartley. This group were doing handball drills and boxing. Mitchell’s clean hands in the close up rapid fire handball drills were levels above the others, apart from Jaeger who is almost on the same level as Tom

First thing after the warm up was a 2.2km time trial. Very hot day today so this would have been a real test for them. Only about 20 players took part.
1st: Isaac Smith.
2nd: Will Golds. He stayed with Isaac for 3 laps until Smith pulled right away. Huge effort from Will.
3rd: Dylan Moore. Looked pretty comfortable.
Then in the next group was Ross, Stratts, Breust, CJ, Morrison, Big Boy, Worpel, Sicily and some others. Hanrahan was last.

Lots of small group work today but finished off with a match sim style drill.

Standouts for me today:

Patton – Loved everything about his session today. I didn’t realise just how good a kick he is. He is super fit and was involved in all drills and looking really good. He handled the ball like it’s on a string.

Ross – Really superb pinpoint kicking and one grab marking and just really clean skills. I’ll pick him early as one to watch this pre-season

Breust – Looks primed and ready for a huge year. Elite in all facets.

CJ – Has that real spark and energy. Elite closing speed, massive leap and thought his reading of the play was greatly improved. Intercepted opposition kicks at will. Turns what is a half chance for most into a certain intercept almost every time.

Timmy O – Looks to have real confidence. Being used as the kick out man in a couple of drills and was nailing some pretty incredible kicks to teammates.

Others worth mentioning:

Big Boy – Covered so much ground. Seemed to be everywhere.

Sicily – Just doing what he does. Intercepting and making it look easy. Making hard kicks look easy.

Chad – Elite skills. Another that makes it look easy.

Scrimshaw – Will pick up where he left off last year.

Frawley looks in ripping nick as well.

Greaves is one of the sweetest kickers of the footy I have seen.

Good to see Kosi and Walker involved in all drills.

Mitchell doing some intense straight line running on the far side of the oval. Really good to see him running hard for quite a long session. Hartley doing the same drills.

Nash boxed for ages then was on the bike. Glass ran laps and boxed. Jones went off early, just load management. Looks noticeably bigger and is fit and ready to go.

Great to see Impey out there in good spirits and full voice.

Cheers to houdinihuddo once again for his excellent use of the binoculars.

I’ll add anything I else that I think of later.
See you next week.

Last edited:
Headed out to Waverley at the rather unusual time of 1pm today to catch my first session for the year.

Training away from the main group were O’Meara, Jones, Nash, Glass, Mitchell, Hartley. This group were doing handball drills and boxing. Mitchell’s clean hands in the close up rapid fire handball drills were levels above the others, apart from Jaeger who is almost on the same level as Tom

First thing after the warm up was a 2.2km time trial. Very hot day today so this would have been a real test for them. Only about 20 players took part.
2nd: Will Golds. He stayed with Isaac for 3 laps until Smith pulled right away. Huge effort from Will.
Then in the next group was Ross, Stratts, Breust, CJ, Morrison, Worpel, Sicily and some others. Hanrahan was last.

Standouts for me today:

Patton – Loved everything about his session today. I didn’t realise just how good a kick he is. He is super fit and was involved in all drills and looking really good. He handled the ball like it’s on a string.

Ross – Really superb pinpoint kicking and one grab marking and just really clean skills. I’ll pick him early as one to watch this pre-season

CJ – Has that real spark and energy. Elite closing speed, massive leap and thought his reading of the play was greatly improved. Intercepted opposition kicks at will. Turns what is a half chance for most into a certain intercept almost every time.

Timmy O – Looks to have real confidence. Being used as the kick out man in a couple of drills and was nailing some pretty incredible kicks to teammates.

Others worth mentioning:

Sicily – Just doing what he does. Intercepting and making it look easy. Making hard kicks look easy.

Greaves is one of the sweetest kickers off the footy I have seen.

Mitchell doing some intense straight line running on the far side of the oval. Really good to see him running hard for quite a long session. Hartley doing the same drills.

Nash boxed for ages then was on the bike. Glass ran laps and boxed. Jones went off early, just load management. Looks noticeably bigger and is fit and ready to go.

See you next week.
Been hitting F5 for 5 hours, totally worth it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then in the next group was Ross, Stratts, Breust, CJ, Morrison, Big Boy, Worpel, Sicily and some others. Hanrahan was last.

Standouts for me today:

Others worth mentioning:

See you next week.
025D719A-76B5-460E-B081-E1C99024CDC4.gif

Standouts for me today:

Others worth mentioning:

See you next week.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back