2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess he is being groomed as a wingman with that speed. However he's not yet at the level of smith and/or hendo, hence being played out of position. Question is whether he is better gaining experience in another position (as he seemed to be doing last year) or playing wing 24/7 for BHH. I think the former, but it means he may struggle to impact while he is biding his time.

Agreed, it will be interesting with Impey injury if they decide to try Hendo or Smith across half back to recreate some of that run a spot might open up on the wing.

Or if a player like CJ gets a chance or do they turn to the reliable Gunners if tob/lewis/patton is working up fwd.

The team is very versatile clarko loves it that way.

Yeah I was wanting to chase him his up too

They were doing a drill that required two players to be kicking into a grid setup as part of a drill. TOB was one the two players as he is on restricted duties but is able to kick. For most of the drill the other player was Deledio. Don’t read anything into this other than it was a drill and they were kicking the ball. The main part of the exercise was to find space in the grid not the actual kicking.

Agreed, it will be interesting with Impey injury if they decide to try Hendo or Smith across half back to recreate some of that run a spot might open up on the wing.

Or if a player like CJ gets a chance or do they turn to the reliable Gunners if tob/lewis/patton is working up fwd.

The team is very versatile clarko loves it that way.
Smitty, for sure.

I'm sure we have designs on guys like CJ making the position his own, but I reckon Smitty starts there.

I have high hopes for CJ next year. He just seems like the sort of player that can improve very quickly and it wouldn't surprise me if he either has progressed almost nothing or has entrenched himself into the "lets give him game time because he is in the 18-25 best player bracket but the game time will really fast track him" type.

I have high hopes for CJ next year. He just seems like the sort of player that can improve very quickly and it wouldn't surprise me if he either has progressed almost nothing or has entrenched himself into the "lets give him game time because he is in the 18-25 best player bracket but the game time will really fast track him" type.

I reckon he has a lot of potential. He needs more meat on his bones to take the crash and bash, though. Needs some good bulk ‘cause he’s as skinny as a rail now (or was last year). Also needs some game sense which just comes from exposure to play. He often overruns the play or finds himself out of position due to over enthusiasm. But that can be moderated with coaching and experience.

When he learns that less can be more then he’ll have the potential to be very dangerous.

EDIT: A quick look at last year’s roster has him weighing only 74kg which is less that Ollie even and the lightest on the team from what I could find. Definitely needs more meat, particularly if he’s going to be in defense and needing to crack some skulls once in a while. Heck, even Brad Hill outweighs him by five kg.

Last edited:
I reckon he has a lot of potential. He needs more meat on his bones to take the crash and bash, though. Needs some good bulk ‘cause he’s as skinny as a rail now (or was last year). Also needs some game sense which just comes from exposure to play. He often overruns the play or finds himself out of position due to over enthusiasm. But that can be moderated with coaching and experience.

When he learns that less can be more then he’ll have the potential to be very dangerous.

EDIT: A quick look at last year’s roster has him weighing only 74kg which is less that Ollie even and the lightest on the team from what I could find. Definitely needs more meat, particularly if he’s going to be in defense and needing to crack some skulls once in a while. Heck, even Brad Hill outweighs him by five kg.
He ain't 74kgs

Trained tonight at 5.30pm as part of the working week program. All players did some work experience today then trained after hours as most non professional footballers are required to do.

Full squad in attendance minus Impey.

Tom Mitchell, O’Meara, Ceglar, Henderson, Mitch Lewis, Harry Jones, O’Brien and Nash in rehab / non contact group. The first 7 all did a solid running program and Nash who is nursing an ankle did bike work.

Main group did a large amount of contested ball work and match simulation.

Hartley is a great kick and seems to be fitting in well. Bombed a goal from 60m out in one of the drills.

Minchington looks really good. Finally fit and his decision making and skilled in the match simulation was very good. Would not be surprised at all if he gets a rookie spot in the list.

Some of the boys were giving it to Harry Jones about drafting the good Harry Jones on Wednesday / Thursday night.

Thanks for the write-up Dutchy!

Biggest hurdle is him remaining fit for the actual season :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morrison's a link player. When we were poor on the wings and he was fresh to our eyes, his confident clean and composed disposal and choice of option were a revelation.
But to be a link player ongoingly you need some serious jets to work both ways, and he aint got them.
He also doesn't turn particularly well, so can't adjust and be a really good defender on any part of the park. Like Sicily, if he runs at you and misses there's not a great recovery. Unlike Sicily he's not a phenomenal mark, extraordinary kick, have brute burst, or have shwag.
I suggested a year and a bit ago, even off the back of a good introduction to first football, needed to either put serious muscle on so he could get stuck in to a pack and add a string, or work on his marking and be like his Uncle up forward.
Don't think either has happened and not sure where he fits without those things on an AFL team.

Yeah I don't think he is going to make it.

I hope we have some kids that didn’t get draft training with us in the hope of us supp listing them next year like Richmond did with Stack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back