2020 HFC Pre Season Training

ML4Hodgy

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d imagine the latter which is why even though CJ was best 25 by the end of the year we have left him as a cat B to keep the pre season or mid season draft options open
Injuries might open up an extra spot through the supplementary period or mid season draft, but am I correct in that CJ needs to be elevated to a senior list spot after a long term injury in order to play seniors?

Injuries might open up an extra spot through the supplementary period or mid season draft, but am I correct in that CJ needs to be elevated to a senior list spot after a long term injury in order to play seniors?

Yes the suggestion being he’ll be taking Impey’s LTI spot for the first half of the season at least

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Is this really the expectation of his injury? I was really hoping he would come back and play a good portion of the season.

The short answer is I don’t know as the decision will be made by our medical team and Jarman.
However he tore the acl in July against the Cats ( I think ), and my understanding is that 12 months rehab statistically reduces the risk of recurrence. If our medics take a conservative approach that would see him returning circa August 2020.
Jars is still young so I would hope we don’t rush him back. He has a long career ahead of him.

The short answer is I don’t know as the decision will be made by our medical team and Jarman.
However he tore the acl in July against the Cats ( I think ), and my understanding is that 12 months rehab statistically reduces the risk of recurrence. If our medics take a conservative approach that would see him returning circa August 2020.
Jars is still young so I would hope we don’t rush him back. He has a long career ahead of him.
I have heard that if you can sit out 24 months it is something like 7 times less likely of it reoccurring. Not saying that Jars is even likely to sit out that long but on another note Patton will be 21 months I think at round one.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could the 2018 version of Harry Morrison please make a return. He has talent but for whatever reason last year he went backwards.
He looks like he has put in some weight. Still finished fourth in the time trial. Didn’t look happy with himself either. I don’t know what happened to him last year but he stopped finding the ball. A stronger midfield will help him this year depending on the role he plays.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Yes the suggestion being he’ll be taking Impey’s LTI spot for the first half of the season at least

Geez I love the way Impey goes about it. His output will be sorely lost while he's out.
Is this really the expectation of his injury? I was really hoping he would come back and play a good portion of the season.
Pretty sure new studies have found that it takes up to 18-24 months for players to get back to where they were before after an ACL injury. Keep in mind he also sustained damage to his lateral ligament too so you’d think they’ll play the long game with Jars ala Tom Mitchell. I really hope he comes back well from his injury and if that means he comes back very late in the season or not until 2021 then so be it.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I have heard that if you can sit out 24 months it is something like 7 times less likely of it reoccurring. Not saying that Jars is even likely to sit out that long but on another note Patton will be 21 months I think at round one.
I’ve heard the same. It seems NBA players are taking this extra 8-12 months on top of the 12 months originally thought to be the recovery time from ACLs and by all means the chances of re-injury seems to be lowered.

He looks like he has put in some weight. Still finished fourth in the time trial. Didn’t look happy with himself either. I don’t know what happened to him last year but he stopped finding the ball. A stronger midfield will help him this year depending on the role he plays.

He had a poor start to the year and I think that set the tone for the year to come. He did some things in games where his footy IQ was evident, but he still seemed like a boy against men.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Where would Morrison play in this current side?

He's behind too many in the midfield pecking order.

He's behind Scully, Smith and Henderson for a spot on the wing - and this would seemingly be his natural position, despite his lack of pace.

He's behind too many for a HBF spot and I don't think he'd play as a lockdown small defender.

Could he play the HFF? I think we have a lot of options for that position too.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He's behind Scully, Smith and Henderson for a spot on the wing - and this would seemingly be his natural position, despite his lack of pace.

He's behind too many for a HBF spot and I don't think he'd play as a lockdown small defender.

He is behind them now, but countless time have players hit strides in year 3-4, would not surprise to have some bolters

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
He is behind them now, but countless time have players hit strides in year 3-4, would not surprise to have some bolters

Yep. Guys eventually coming on in their 3-4 years are what win you premierships. Hopefully Harry can step up like guys like Breust eventually did once the penny drops. We gotta remember that these guys are still relatively young and some develop later than others.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Morrison doesn't even need to be best 22 this season to be hugely important to us, if the improvement comes and he isn't that is great for the team (not so much him). Injuries will come and we will need to call on depth it is important that players like Morrison can come in and have an impact.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Ideally he would be a ball winning hff that can rotate through the wing, on the ball and on the half back flank. He is versatile but it’s also a problem That he doesn’t have a clear role where he is the best.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Ideally he would be a ball winning hff that can rotate through the wing, on the ball and on the half back flank. He is versatile but it’s also a problem That he doesn’t have a clear role where he is the best.

In basketball terms he is what you call a tweener… as in he's in-between positions. At this point he's definitely not a utility because he doesn't have one position he really excels at while filling another but time is on his side. 2020 is a huge year for him which I'm sure the coaches have mentioned to him.

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Headed out to Waverley on a sunny but cool afternoon for today’s session. It was a long session today with plenty going on and some extended match simulation. The session appeared to be run by Sam Mitchell. Clarko was out there but was just watching on.

First some observations on the new draftees:

Will Day is a natural footballer with very clean skills and an uncanny ability to make his own space and avoid being tackled. He will be a gem of a pickup.

Finn Maginess looks very much at home amongst the other mids in terms of build and ability. He took part in all of the clearance drills with the senior guys. You wouldn’t know he is in his first week as an AFL player. With a preseason under Sam Mitchell and working alongside Tom Mitchell, Worpel Omeara etc. it will be exciting to see what he is capable of.

Jeka is a very good size.

Didn’t see too much of Morris but he reminds me a bit of Mark Le Cras in the way he moves.

Other players that stood out:

Tom Mitchell is looking really good. Took part in some fairly intense ball drills, turning and kicking without breaking stride. No longer just straight-line work. Looking good for an early season return.

Kosi had a blinder of a session. Alternating between defence and forward. He was reading the flight really well, always making a contest and crashing packs, took a couple of good grabs as well. He had a great moment where he ran down a smaller quicker player which I think was Chad, but not 100% sure.

CJ was just wreaking havoc, the good kind of havoc, in defence. His massive leap allows him to get his hands above everyone else’s and either spoil or mark. His positioning has really improved as well. He hassles and chases and gives his opponent no time or space to think. Adam Yze was very complimentary of his work.

Worpel’s kicks into the forward 50 were a thing of beauty. Low, flat bullets, hitting Breust on the chest.

Chad was playing mid and pushing forward, kicking goals. Can't wait to see what he does in 2020.

Frosty will play Round 1 I reckon. I really like what I saw. He is very, very quick, and very, very aggressive. Get’s himself in the right places.

Harry Morrison was noteworthy today. Playing at halfback, using his clean skills and footy nous to get the ball to the advantage of his teammates.

Tom Scully was everywhere. Ran the full length of the field, took a great mark in the forward line, went back and kicked the goal. He will be a weapon in 2020 now that he knows the game plan and is fully fit.

Patton is a gun.

Minchington looks very good.

Mat Walker has become a really big unit.

Lewis is definitely bigger. Looks quite imposing.

Golds, Ceglar & Jaegar ran many, many laps, did not participate in drills.

Ross did some drills but was then on the bike.

Glass ran laps.

Impey was out there doing handball drills.

Gunners just observed the whole session from the sideline.

There was another bloke out there that I didn't recognise, but having checked on the Google I think it might be Luke Partington. Can't be sure though

That’s it for now. I’ll be away for a week but should be able to get to a session late next week.

Last edited:

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Headed out to Waverley on a sunny but cool afternoon for today’s session. It was a long session today with plenty going on and some extended match simulation. The session appeared to be run by Sam Mitchell. Clarko was out there but was just watching on.

First some observations on the new draftees:

Will Day is a natural footballer with very clean skills and an uncanny ability to make his own space and avoid being tackled. He will be a gem of a pickup.

Finn Maginess looks very much at home amongst the other mids in terms of build and ability. He took part in all of the clearance drills with the senior guys. You wouldn’t know he is in his first week as an AFL player. With a preseason under Sam Mitchell and working alongside Tom Mitchell, Worpel Omeara etc. it will be exciting to see what he is capable of.

Jeka is a very good size.

Didn’t see too much of Morris but he reminds me a bit of Mark Le Cras in the way he moves.

Other players that stood out:

Tom Mitchell is looking really good. Took part in some fairly intense ball drills, turning and kicking without breaking stride. No longer just straight-line work. Looking good for an early season return.

Kosi had a blinder of a session. Alternating between defence and forward. He was reading the flight really well, always making a contest and crashing packs, took a couple of good grabs as well. He had a great moment where he ran down a smaller quicker player which I think was Chad, but not 100% sure.

CJ was just wreaking havoc, the good kind of havoc, in defence. His massive leap allows him to get his hands above everyone else’s and either spoil or mark. His positioning has really improved as well. He hassles and chases and gives his opponent no time or space to think. Adam Yze was very complimentary of his work.

Worpel’s kicks into the forward 50 were a thing of beauty. Low, flat bullets, hitting Breust on the chest.

Chad was playing mid and pushing forward, kicking goals. Can't wait to see what he does in 2020.

Frosty will play Round 1 I reckon. I really like what I saw. He is very, very quick, and very, very aggressive. Get’s himself in the right places.

Harry Morrison was noteworthy today. Playing at halfback, using his clean skills and footy nous to get the ball to the advantage of his teammates.

Tom Scully was everywhere. Ran the full length of the field, took a great mark in the forward line, went back and kicked the goal. He will be a weapon in 2020 now that he knows the game plan and is fully fit.

Patton is a gun.

Minchington looks very good.

Mat Walker has become a really big unit.

Lewis is definitely bigger. Looks quite imposing.

Golds, Ceglar & Jaegar ran many, many laps, did not participate in drills.

Ross did some drills but was then on the bike.

Glass ran laps.

Impey was out there doing handball drills.

Gunners just observed the whole session from the sideline.

There was another bloke out there that I didn't recognise, but having checked on the Google I think it might be Luke Partington. Can't be sure though

That’s it for now. I’ll be away for a week but should be able to get to a session late next week.

Thanks Axeman great work a couple of questions please.

How big does Lewis look is he headed down the J. Brown size of CHF?

What is Frosty kicking skills like?

Does Day look bigger then the listed 70kg and who in the AFL does he move like?

Could Kosi hold down a KP spot next year if we got a injury on what he looked like and how was he playing on in the contests he was in.?

Back