2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year I think this is the year the handbaggers will fall off the cliff & it just doesnt happen. Very frustrating!
I wonder if geelong’s poor finals record since 2011 is a function of them over performing early in the season through building bigger bodies in preseason and losing the muscle over the course of the season which means the stronger running clubs get an advantage.

I wonder if geelong’s poor finals record since 2011 is a function of them over performing early in the season through building bigger bodies in preseason and losing the muscle over the course of the season which means the stronger running clubs get an advantage.

I also think it's because they rely so overwhelmingly on key players, namely Danger-Selwood-Ablett, to move the ball on the vast majority of forward thrusts that they end up with bruised and broken bodies who can't lift in the post-season. And without the backbone working they have no other route to victory. Their game plan is too individual dependent.

I also think it's because they rely so overwhelmingly on key players, namely Danger-Selwood-Ablett, to move the ball on the vast majority of forward thrusts that they end up with bruised and broken bodies who can't lift in the post-season. And without the backbone working they have no other route to victory. Their game plan is too individual dependent.
Kelly a huge loss. Will cost them 5 wins next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion, Geelong have the biggest gap between A graders and fringe players in the league. Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett, Kelly (in previous years), Hawkins, Duncan, Stewart are as good a group of A graders as any club has. Now think back to Easter Monday 2018 and who was playing on Roughie when the game was on the line. Zach bloody Guthrie. I cannot believe they have rookie listed Henderson for another season. Couldn't even believe he played in their final series. Harry Taylor is beyond it and has been for a while so i'm staggered they didn't move him on. You cannot always rely on the guns to get the job done but I don't believe any club relies on it happening more so than the Cats. (May it long continue).

Interestingly, when I look at a club like St.Kilda I feel the complete opposite. They feel like an entire best 22 of B+ to C- players. Their addition of Hill, (a fit) Hanners, Howard, Jones, Ryder and Butler doesn't necessarily result in more A graders, but seriously bolsters that B and C range. I expect a strong season of team footy and finals in 2020 as a result.

Our list is far more balanced and proved to still be a threat without our major A grade talent in Tom Mitchell.

Wow, I just watched 'CJ's story' on Hawthornfc.com - great confidence booster if you have any doubts if he'll make it or not.

Speaks well, not just for a refugee but for a young player. Describes himself as an optimistic person, which strangely makes me feel optimistic myself.

Where did it go?

The_Axeman thanks for the reports, it seems like players are doing well, but is there anyone that has come back that is a little less than impressive or are they all killing it thus far?

Shhhh, it's the preseason. Every player from every club is breaking PBs and ready for career best seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back