2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Carl. Be assured. I have not seen the recruiting team so upbeat about securing a player than they are about Day. NEVER !!!
I have been implored to be patient.

Agreed - I haven't been this upbeat about a new recruit since Buddy. Kid has all the attributes to be a star of the competition - is a natural footballer with a hunger to succeed.

Has been a regular holiday spot for the family and I for years. If you have not done East Coast Tassie put it on your bucket list. Some of the most amazing beaches you will ever see. (Binalong Bay, Bay of Fires, Wineglass Bay, Chain of Lagoons, the most noted ones but plenty more).

No bright lights but good cafes, bakeries, pubs and a few quality restaurants and wineries dotted around. Also some terrific charter fishing out of St Helen if that is your thing and a few surf beaches as well.

You can travel as far North East as Mt. William National Park for some cracking coastal areas as well.
Off topic but I'm not sure the new avatar is an upgrade.
Less alluring and a little more dominatrix, but if that is your thing.;)

Wednesday training @Windsor Park Launceston

I had the opportunity to duck down and watch the boys train this morning.

The whole squad was in attendance with full match simulation conducted for about 3 quarters in between running and other game related drills.

Takeaways from session

Match sim was split into two teams Blue and Orange. The defences and forward lines stayed the same for both teams but the midfields were changed.

Sam Frost was really impressive being able to both intercept and apply defensive pressure on the ground. He was able to run down Wingard and Poppy on different occasions. His kicking was sound with him always seeming to look for a 30-35m option.

McEvoy played all game time in defence and was able to take some nice grabs to help setup some nice ball movement. Sicily was also roaming with him making it hard for the Orange team to have clean entries.

Hartley played for the Orange and was used as the kick out man was manning Patton. Was really good with his voice and encouragement for other players like Kosi and Greaves.

The blue team forward line consisted of Patton, Lewis, TOB, Ollie and Pop. They looked dangerous every time the ball came in. I reckon TOB kicked 5-6 goals with the others all chipping in.

Patton also had a stint in the ruck for one quarter and was able to hold his own whilst taking some nice marks around the ground. Looks locked and loaded.

Wingard played majority in the midfield and did some nice things hitting up forwards. Was challenged pretty heavily by Yze for being to flashy and not taking the first option.

Worps was easily the best midfielder and looks to have left no stone unturned in pursuit of another great season.

Mitchell did absolutely everything of the session and had plenty of the ball blue hat remained on.

Scully provided some great dash on the wing with Smith and also did all of the session.

Players that did get involved in the match sim were CJ, Howe, Gunners, Scrimshaw, Moore and Morris.

Darren Michington ran laps the whole session and also did some boxing. There was no Cassar in sight so maybe there could be a message in that, who knows?

Burns, Yze and Mitchell ran the most of the session whilst AC sat in the elevated coaches box.

Happened to spot Mitch Thorp watching and couldn’t help but think of what could’ve been. Coaches the local state league club. Wouldn’t we all like to have that pick six back.

I’ll post anything else that comes to mind.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McEvoy played all game time in defence and was able to take some nice grabs to help setup some nice ball movement. Sicily was also roaming with him making it hard for the Orange team to have clean entries.

That's the most interesting take away for mine. If the Big Boy in defence experiment works early in the season, the tandem of him and Siss could be damn near unstoppable. Sounds like they will play close together at every opportunity.

Yes he and TOB being the other ruck combos Great report mate and good to see Howe, moore and scrimshaw getting involved in match sim. Howe hasn't done much over the preseason. Has been in rehab the whole time. Moore and Scrimshaw have also spent considerable time in rehab

Yes he and TOB being the other ruck combos Great report mate and good to see Howe, moore and scrimshaw getting involved in match sim. Howe hasn't done much over the preseason. Has been in rehab the whole time. Moore and Scrimshaw have also spent considerable time in rehab

Sorry Morris, CJ and Gunners didn’t get involved same with Impey who also ran laps.

Last edited:
Sorry Morris, CJ and Gunners didn’t get involved same with Impey who also ran laps.

Yeah I know that Impey and gunners are in rehab and CJ and Morris have joined them recently.
Edit i get it you're saying they weren't involved :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Patton may ruck quite a bit? I did wonder with the Knee issue. harking back The big fish said the ruck was better for him than FF in that he was constantly running and warmed up wheres he could get cold at FF
True, but I reckon that might not be as much of an issue these days given how the game is played? Even as a permanent full forward he’d be doing a lot more running up and back than the big Fish would’ve done in his time.

Thanks for the report tassiehawk15. One of the most positive things from the preseason reports coming through which was also noted by Sammy the other day is the way Worpel is leaving no stone unturned and if anything the coaches may need to hold him back a little. He sounds like he is an extremely hard worker and a pro at a young age. Fingers crossed the hard work pays off as our clubs future needs a premier midfielder of the comp over the next decade and he is showing all the right signs. Hoping he will be included into the leadership group this year .... he is leading the way!

That's the most interesting take away for mine. If the Big Boy in defence experiment works early in the season, the tandem of him and Siss could be damn near unstoppable. Sounds like they will play close together at every opportunity.

West Coast could not get past.

The whole squad was in attendance with full match simulation conducted for about 3 quarters in between running and other game related drills.

Takeaways from session

Match sim was split into two teams Blue and Orange. The defences and forward lines stayed the same for both teams but the midfields were changed.

Sam Frost was really impressive being able to both intercept and apply defensive pressure on the ground. He was able to run down Wingard and Poppy on different occasions. His kicking was sound with him always seeming to look for a 30-35m option.

Hartley played for the Orange and was used as the kick out man was manning Patton. Was really good with his voice and encouragement for other players like Kosi and Greaves.

The blue team forward line consisted of Patton, Lewis, TOB, Ollie and Pop. They looked dangerous every time the ball came in. I reckon TOB kicked 5-6 goals with the others all chipping in.

Patton also had a stint in the ruck for one quarter and was able to hold his own whilst taking some nice marks around the ground. Looks locked and loaded.

Wingard played majority in the midfield and did some nice things hitting up forwards. Was challenged pretty heavily by Yze for being to flashy and not taking the first option.

Worps was easily the best midfielder and looks to have left no stone unturned in pursuit of another great season.

Mitchell did absolutely everything of the session and had plenty of the ball blue hat remained on.

Scully provided some great dash on the wing with Smith and also did all of the session.

Players that did get involved in the match sim were CJ, Howe, Gunners, Scrimshaw, Moore and Morris.

Darren Michington ran laps the whole session and also did some boxing. There was no Cassar in sight so maybe there could be a message in that, who knows?

Burns, Yze and Mitchell ran the most of the session whilst AC sat in the elevated coaches box.

Happened to spot Mitch Thorp watching and couldn’t help but think of what could’ve been. Coaches the local state league club. Wouldn’t we all like to have that pick six back.

Cheers

I think that today’s training session provided a glimpse into what our forward line will look like this season:

TOB LEWIS Bruest
HANRAHAN PATTON POPPY

Gunners, Nash and Chad to also have stints...

Looking very very potent!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Takeaways from session

Cheers

Thanks for the write up. Do you know who was apposed to TOB for the majority of the session? Great to hear him having an impact and getting some confidence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back