2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

The Box Hill boys were;
Andy Ottens 2, James Ross 8, Mack Dorian 19, Lachie Walker 25, Connor Byrne 29, Riley Bowman 36, Vincent Adduci 41, Nathan Mullenger-McHugh 45

i heard people calling out walks when the blue team had it so i assumed he was one and i saw Mullenger-McHugh talking with Patton after the game, also thought 8 looked too much like James Ross but didnt say as it was hard to recognise people in orange and blue when you're so used to seeing them in other colours.

How long is Dylan Moore out with injury? Who of the injured players will play against St Kilda next week?
Damian Carroll told me that JOM will be fine to play next week, "if he wants to."

Moore is close, as is Scrimshaw. Both of them (and JOM) were running fast laps earlier in the afternoon. Howe was also doing an individual training program and looked fine to me.

Pretty much everything's been said but I'll add -

Patton was the dominant forward and was dominant. Was the focal point and distributed cleverly as well as taking his shots. Conditions couldn't have been worse for him but he was great.

Wingard only played the first half, did a warm down session at half time.

Kosi was injured in a tangle with Matt Walker.

I thought Jeka was impressive in the amount of contests he got to, but he didn't really win any. He's very slim in the upper body.

Scrimshaw, Moore, O'Meara, Gunston, Morris and Impey didn't play.

Best I've seen Morrison play for ages.

Lewis had next to no chance while playing for Blue, but looked dangerous in the 2nd half for Orange, kicking a couple. You could see how Patton will benefit him. Patton works hard to block and hold back bodies in a pack to allow another tall to fly.

TOM worked into the game. Crowd was disappointingly quiet when he got his first kick - I was the lone cheer in my area. In fact no one clapped goals or anything, it was weird.

Ceglar was excellent.

TOB struggled with the wet ball.

Sicily imperious. Smith with Shiels close to BOG as the best 4 qtr players. Worpel of course.
Great report Stemline. I was going to make exactly the same points re TOB who fumbled the greasy ball and dropped a sitter and Jeka who is very slight in the top half.

Harry read the play well but disposal was poor. Missed handballs regularly which was disappointing.

Patton looks excellent. Fingers crossed he stays on the park.

If you did not know Big Boy was a ruckman you would not question him at CHB. Moves very well back there and his skills for a big man are great.

Reeves looked much closer to the level than 12 months ago. Give him another 2 seasons he will be a beast. He can't really get to aerial contests yet but you can now see that he knows where he needs to be whereas last year he had little idea.

Day looks good. Time with the ball clean and creative.

Nash was on the half back line and was excellent...other than his kicking. Bugger.

Worpel ran riot. Spent time in the goalsquare one on one too which i like a lot.

Wingard was very intense and quick.

Greaves goes ok. Maybe a query on legspeed given his size and the fact he will play on quick smalls.

Sic was best on with Worpel.

Scully good.

Not many players who don't have improvement left. Glass is prob the one I think is up against it the most.

Day will be a star. So clean. TOB was the wicked witch of the west melted in the rain 😁. Most everyone else have improved their output. Mitch has been in training so nothing is changed he'll be back to normal after a few games under his belt. Three big guys in defense is ready for round 1.

Hey guys, I was there yesterday. It was good to get a glimpse of 2020 with some good signs. Be interesting how things look against opposition.

I took the camera down and took some snaps check them out here:

instagram.com/wisemansports

I’ve put them all on my Facebook page now also. @wisemansport

Attachments

• 2C3FD9C7-728A-499C-9A68-6FC10B398138.jpeg
    2C3FD9C7-728A-499C-9A68-6FC10B398138.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 9AAF5035-8FA2-462A-B082-EA05BE59C903.jpeg
    9AAF5035-8FA2-462A-B082-EA05BE59C903.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
So the small forward spot will be an issue, particularly if Pop continues his age related degeneration as a footballer.. hopefully Chad (who I consider more Michael Walters than stay home SF) can be that guy who really provides the x-factor.

looking forward to Lewis and Patton’s partnership, should get enough opportunity with our midfield looking strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I was there yesterday. It was good to get a glimpse of 2020 with some good signs. Be interesting how things look against opposition.

I took the camera down and took some snapscheck them out here:

instagram.com/wisemansports
Nice pics mate. The one of Harry tackling Glass into a face plant cracked me up 😂

Video highlights on the Hawthorn Facebook page are up and work perfectly.

Day looks so bloody smooth. From the limited footage within the highlights he looks to be a cross between Josh Kelly and Lachie Whitfiled in movement and style.

‘saw that, and a lot of#33. Although small forward might be the opportunity, Walker cannot be described as small. Joining the queue for the third forward spot? Eek.

Anyone got feedback on Harry Jones game ?
Has certainly filled out more this year. Really good size now. Got to watch very closely to see his work on the inside as he doesn't stand out.

There were a lot of positives to come out of the practice game. The splitting of the teams into probables and possible was interesting. Based on
my observations the probables lined up as follows:
Backs - Sicily [great], Hardwick, McEvoy, Stratton and Morrison [very good], Frost and Frawley [good].
Mids/Onball - Smith [great],Ceglar, Shiels, Worpel, Wingard and Henderson [very good], Cousins and Scully [good]
Forwards - Patton [great], Bruest [very good], Puopolo and Burgoyne [good], Walker [good first half with some strong marks and very good use
by hand], O'Brien [good second half], Hanrahan [good last quarter].
Mitchell and Lewis swapped with Burgoyne and Cousins at half time.
Given the weight of numbers the possibles defended very well. The final scores of 11.13.85 to 2.4.16. It was more difficult to identify how the
probables line up due to the number of rotations particularly with the BHH players. My best guess for the HFC players:
Backs - Hartley, Koschitzke and Greaves [very good], Day [great first quarter and good game] Jiath [good], Pepper [only played the second half
with a very good last quarter.
Mids/Onball - Mitchell [great, hardly missed a beat], Jones [very good], Maginness [strong and good against the odds], Nash [good], Golds
[good second half], Glass [needs to go back to taking the game on]. Reeves [competed and will learn]
Forwards - Starved of opportunities. Lewis [good second half with the probables], Ross [stronger with very good skills], Jeka [moved and competed
well], Minchington [low impact after rehab].
The skills were good in the wet conditions and with a breeze pushing the ball around an extra 5 metres towards the city end. My highlight was watching
Mitchell continuing where he left off winning the Charlie in 2018. Sicliy's ball handling and use were elite and the outside run and carry by Smith,
Scully and Henderson was a real weapon. Hardwick was rock solid in defense and his ability to read and set up the play was first class. Shiels covered
a lot of ground and linked up very well. Patton is a beast and will have a major impact this season.
A special mention to Harry Jones for the way he battled against the odds to apply pressure and win the ball. He is courageous and is working hard to
force his way into the AFL side.
Bring on round one.

There were a lot of positives to come out of the practice game. The splitting of the teams into probables and possible was interesting. Based on
my observations the probables lined up as follows:
Backs - Sicily [great], Hardwick, McEvoy, Stratton and Morrison [very good], Frost and Frawley [good].
Mids/Onball - Smith [great],Ceglar, Shiels, Worpel, Wingard and Henderson [very good], Cousins and Scully [good]
Forwards - Patton [great], Bruest [very good], Puopolo and Burgoyne [good], Walker [good first half with some strong marks and very good use
by hand], O'Brien [good second half], Hanrahan [good last quarter].
Mitchell and Lewis swapped with Burgoyne and Cousins at half time.
Given the weight of numbers the possibles defended very well. The final scores of 11.13.85 to 2.4.16. It was more difficult to identify how the
probables line up due to the number of rotations particularly with the BHH players. My best guess for the HFC players:
Backs - Hartley, Koschitzke and Greaves [very good], Day [great first quarter and good game] Jiath [good], Pepper [only played the second half
with a very good last quarter.
Mids/Onball - Mitchell [great, hardly missed a beat], Jones [very good], Maginness [strong and good against the odds], Nash [good], Golds
[good second half], Glass [needs to go back to taking the game on]. Reeves [competed and will learn]
Forwards - Starved of opportunities. Lewis [good second half with the probables], Ross [stronger with very good skills], Jeka [moved and competed
well], Minchington [low impact after rehab].
The skills were good in the wet conditions and with a breeze pushing the ball around an extra 5 metres towards the city end. My highlight was watching
Mitchell continuing where he left off winning the Charlie in 2018. Sicliy's ball handling and use were elite and the outside run and carry by Smith,
Scully and Henderson was a real weapon. Hardwick was rock solid in defense and his ability to read and set up the play was first class. Shiels covered
a lot of ground and linked up very well. Patton is a beast and will have a major impact this season.
A special mention to Harry Jones for the way he battled against the odds to apply pressure and win the ball. He is courageous and is working hard to
force his way into the AFL side.
Bring on round one.

Thanks mate.

Some good write ups on Harry Jones - my question, what's his foot skills like? I just hope we don't have another Will Langford on our hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back