Injury 2020 Injuries

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OK, so in the apparent absence of an official list here's what appears to be the injury list. It's a quarter of our list although over half of these are pretty close and most would be expected to be OK for Round 1.

Jong (high grade hamstring tear) - 8-10 weeks
Wood (hammy tightness) - 2 weeks
Garcia (ACL rehab) - a fair while yet
Libba (knee rehab) - getting into full training soon
Duryea (hip?) - still a fair way off
Wallis (stress fracture in leg/ankle) - close to full training (?)
Keath (stress fracture in leg) - available
English (concussion) - at least a week
Suckling - (??) - being "managed"
Bruce (back spasm) - at least a week
Naughton (knee surgery) - available

Feel free to make corrections ... but please don't say I've missed a few!
For Bruce, they did say in the press conference today that he could have played, but saw no point in putting him in when they could take the safe option. So "at least a week" is probably not so accurate, more like "managed".

Pretty sure I read that Duryea has been running with the main group, so hopefully getting closer to a return. Should return early in the season from what I know of, but not 100% sure on him.

The press conference today also mentioned Wallis being in good shape, unless I misheard

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OK, so in the apparent absence of an official list here's what appears to be the injury list. It's a quarter of our list although over half of these are pretty close and most would be expected to be OK for Round 1.

Jong (high grade hamstring tear) - 8-10 weeks
Wood (hammy tightness) - 2 weeks
Garcia (ACL rehab) - a fair while yet
Libba (knee rehab) - getting into full training soon
Duryea (hip?) - still a fair way off
Wallis (stress fracture in leg/ankle) - close to full training (?)
Keath (stress fracture in leg) - available
English (concussion) - at least a week
Suckling - (??) - being "managed"
Bruce (back spasm) - at least a week
Naughton (knee surgery) - available

Feel free to make corrections ... but please don't say I've missed a few!
Articles talking about English missing due to more stringent concussion protocols might infer he would have played under the old rules but can't as of 2020. So you'd think he'll miss one week and only one week.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All I can say is thank god we traded in Bruce. Imagine if our tall forward stocks at Round 1 were Gardner and Schache :'( Really hope it's nothing serious and just the club taking necessary precautions

hazza21

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Those who have experience in the field, how long does an arthroscope surgery normally keep someone out for?

Is this the same procedure he got on his other knee after the GWS final?

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Those who have experience in the field, how long does an arthroscope surgery normally keep someone out for?

Is this the same procedure he got on his other knee after the GWS final?
It’s about a month.

Pretty concerning overall though. Have heard his pre season hasn’t been great

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
6-8 weeks? Still means he could be ready in the first month at some point. Round 3-4 I assume.
If it’s just a quick clean out I would say that’s correct. But who knows, he could take longer. Libba had a quick clean out and was back in no time and then some others took ages.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If it’s just a quick clean out I would say that’s correct. But who knows, he could take longer. Libba had a quick clean out and was back in no time and then some others took ages.
Depends what they find during the clean up I guess

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will he be OK for finals assuming we make it?
No one knows how serious it is yet, but it doesn't sound like anything overly concerning, so I'd be honestly shocked if he was kept out that long. We should find out soon enough, but I wouldn't start stressing too much yet, as these kinds of things can often just be a precaution, and he may even be fine for Round 1 if we're lucky

In Repair

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Libba was on the back of an ACL. It’s not just meniscus that’s a concern but also the articulating cartilage (white layer at joint end of bones, think chicken drumstick). Without any inside info I can only assume that is what killed Clay Smith’s career and is currently hurting Libba. It’s effectively arthritis. I wouldn't imagine Naughtons knee to be too banged up at this point, even with surgery.

JHC I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee back in '83. I was back to work after three days!

Oh yeah, I was on crutches for a bit and had rehab for a month or so and I sat down when I taught my classes, but other than that... :)

Back