Injury 2020 Injuries

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Sucks a lot for West. He's done a lot to force his way into the side and then this happens.

Was he close to "forcing his way in" though? The fact that he wasnt selection in the practice matches tells me that he was still a bit off the pace. I also got a look at him during the open intraclub match a month or so ago and he had minimal influence on the game.

I agree that it sucks for any player to do a significant injury right before the season after a gruelling preseason.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was he close to "forcing his way in" though? The fact that he wasnt selection in the practice matches tells me that he was still a bit off the pace. I also got a look at him during the open intraclub match a month or so ago and he had minimal influence on the game.

I agree that it sucks for any player to do a significant injury right before the season after a gruelling preseason.

I was more thinking about his performance at the end of last year and how his third match was a final. But I didn't go to the intraclub so you'd know more than I would about how he's been tracking more recently.

What happened?
Medial ligament injury at training. In a brace.

Injury list

Aaron Naughton (knee) – available
Pat Lipinski (concussion) – 1 week
Tom Liberatore (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Lin Jong (hamstring) – 4-6 weeks
Taylor Duryea (groin) – 4-6 weeks
Rhylee West (knee) – 6-8 weeks
Riley Garcia (knee) – indefinite

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Naughton - syndesmosis injury to left ankle, expecting 6 weeks out

Lloyd - broken collarbone, TBC but probably 3-4 weeks minimum

Disappointed about the injuries but luckily they'll be fit ready for the proper season when it starts in 2021 rather than this extended preseason/AFLX comp.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It took me six months to recover from syndesmosis - it's a prick of an injury.
Depends on severity, and the players receive world-class treatment so are often recovered much earlier than the average person would.

I broke my finger a couple years back, and wasn't discharged officially until 12 months later. After surgery, had finger immobile for 6-8 weeks, then spent 9-10 months in rehab getting the movement back. Meanwhile you have AFL players breaking fingers and being back in a few weeks..

Doesnt Naughton and dunkley both have it?
Yep :(

Libba also had it late in 2016. It was the injury that kept him out of the final few H&A matches. His rehab was outstanding, though, which is the difference.

Marc Murphy also had it that year, missing the final three months of the season. He made a full recovery, though, evidenced by his career high average of 29.8 disposals the following year. Different kettle of fish there with Carlton deciding to put him on ice for the remainder of 2016. Had they been in the hunt for September then I'm sure he would have made it back.
Depends on severity, and the players receive world-class treatment so are often recovered much earlier than the average person would.

I broke my finger a couple years back, and wasn't discharged officially until 12 months later. After surgery, had finger immobile for 6-8 weeks, then spent 9-10 months in rehab getting the movement back. Meanwhile you have AFL players breaking fingers and being back in a few weeks..
Yeah, I hear ya. I had physio for a few months to get myself in shape for this season (all to no avail due to Covid-19), but definitely no where near the same sort of quality rehab a professional athlete would receive. Naughton is having surgery which I'm guessing the normal person wouldn't even consider.

I could be wrong, but this may be the same injury that ended Matthew Egan's young career in 2007, and the same injury that Hird was troubled by.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

Libba also had it late in 2016. It was the injury that kept him out of the final few H&A matches. His rehab was outstanding, though, which is the difference.

Marc Murphy also had it that year, missing the final three months of the season. He made a full recovery, though, evidenced by his career high average of 29.8 disposals the following year. Different kettle of fish there with Carlton deciding to put him on ice for the remainder of 2016. Had they been in the hunt for September then I'm sure he would have made it back.

Yeah, I hear ya. I had physio for a few months to get myself in shape for this season (all to no avail due to Covid-19), but definitely no where near the same sort of quality rehab a professional athlete would receive. Naughton is having surgery which I'm guessing the normal person wouldn't even consider.

I could be wrong, but this may be the same injury that ended Matthew Egan's young career in 2007, and the same injury that Hird was troubled by.

Egan, Hird and our own Tom Williams suffered from navicular injury which can be career ending. Stand to be corrected on this.

BrunswickDog

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Marc Murphy didn't have the surgery, and it didn't heal, that's why he took so long to return from his syndismosis. They operated in the end.

Libbas surgery was one of the first times the surgery was used as well iirc

Back