Prediction 2020 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

As has been mentioned before, Hodge will still be around in a coaching role. But, as for the other three points; they are extremely concerning and probably the areas where we will be most tested in the 2020 season. I don't see us falling out of the top-eight, but as Melbourne proved in 2019, expectations don't exactly match with reality. Undoubtedly, though, we won't get top two like we did this year. Many of the younger boys were playing outside of their skin this year. Still, I'm hopeful for at least an attempt at finals.
Hodge ON the ground is what helps Brisbane. It’s all about the lack of runners with instructions. Hodge voids the lack of runner help when the game gets tight. Hence the many close wins they had.

As has been mentioned before, Hodge will still be around in a coaching role. But, as for the other three points; they are extremely concerning and probably the areas where we will be most tested in the 2020 season. I don't see us falling out of the top-eight, but as Melbourne proved in 2019, expectations don't exactly match with reality. Undoubtedly, though, we won't get top two like we did this year. Many of the younger boys were playing outside of their skin this year. Still, I'm hopeful for at least an attempt at finals.
Watch the difference between docherty on the bench giving out instructions compared to being on the ground. Carlton will have their hodge but 6 years younger.

An Essendon supporter picking Essendon for 5th after not improving their lust relative to others this trade period having two important leadership players questioning the direction and now will finish in their best position since 2002. I don’t see it. Won’t make the 8.

We've got a lot of players in their prime now and considering we had the most games lost to injuries out of the teams that made the 8 I reckon there's plenty of upside. If you want to call my ladder prediction just another biased Essendon supporter that's fine - I mostly did it for myself to refer back to later in the preseason and next year to see how the season unfolds relative to my expectations.

I was also pretty bullish on Carlton. Even had them avoiding bottom 4 for the first time in recent years - even though the only list 'improvement' they made was adding a geriatric small forward.

After trade period:

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Collingwood
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Bulldogs
7. Brisbane
8. Port Adelaide

9. St Kilda
10. Melbourne
11. Geelong
12. Essendon
13. Carlton
14. North Melbourne
15. Sydney
16. Fremantle
17. Adelaide
18. Gold Coast

Last edited:
We've got a lot of players in their prime now and considering we had the most games lost to injuries out of the teams that made the 8 I reckon there's plenty of upside. If you want to call my ladder prediction just another biased Essendon supporter that's fine - I mostly did it for myself to refer back to later in the preseason and next year to see how the season unfolds relative to my expectations.

I was also pretty bullish on Carlton. Even had them avoiding bottom 4 for the first time in recent years - even though the only list 'improvement' they made was adding a geriatric small forward.
Geriatric? I look forward to revisiting this around round 10 when he’s kicked 20+ goals already. He guarantees improving Carlton’s inside 50. You add his elite goal kicking (which despite all the people pulling him down, he’s only down 0.1 on marks, 0.3 on disposals and 0.1 on goals scored this season compared to his career) and you include that with a top 5 ranked side for scoring under Teague (according to champion data - carlton were number 1 for ground ball gets, forward 50 stoppages, inside 50 tackles, scores before the r23 loss to geelong in the wet at Kardinia) things will improve dramatically. Add Curnow to that mix who kicked 8 goals v the dogs before his season ending knee v Fremantle and Martin (who comes for free*) and it gets exciting pretty quickly.

After trade period:

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Collingwood
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Bulldogs
7. Port Adelaide
8. St Kilda

9. Melbourne
10. Geelong
11. Essendon
12. Carlton
13. North Melbourne
14. Sydney
15. Fremantle
16. St Kilda
17. Adelaide
18. Gold Coast
No lions ? Bye ??

Almost crushed you in the prelim after crushing you earlier in the season and have a better list. Then at half time in a sudden death final, your players decided they wanted it more and wanted to win for their coach. If Scott was able to gel his list rather than cripple it Richmond would have absolutely no chance. After Martin/Rance Richmonds talent plummets.

Richmonds players love Dimma far far more than Geelongs love Scott. Selwood/Danger/Blicavs love Scott and the other 19 have no relationship with him. The reason you won was because it was a knockout final and cared a lot more.

Seriously, get some help .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ITT: supporters of s**t teams with no hope of making finals sneaking them in at 8th

Supporters of Geelong still putting their side in finals . Big big fall for 2020 that will be on the back of player disillusionment with that psycho of a coach . You know it’s coming .

1. West Coast Eagles
2. Richmond
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Collingwood
5. Hawthorn
6. Geelong
7. Brisbane
8. St.Kilda

9. Melbourne
10. GWS
11. Essendon
12. Carlton
13. Sydney
14. Fremantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Port Adelaide
17. Adelaide
18. Gold Coast

West and Richmond are the two best in it. I can't possibly select anybody else in 1 and 2.
The Dogs time is now. They know they can perform when it matters. They'll have arguably the best midfield in the comp next year and also have proper bookends in place to work around. Expecting big things.
Collingwood will be solid again although I don't see them being a convincing top 4 side (like the Hawks in '18).
In 2017 I predicted Hawthorn wouldn't make the 8. In 2018 I has us finishing 6th and making a semi. This season I had us 11th and we finished 9th. Basically, I always predict Hawthorn with a sense of reality in place so I am absolutely not overrating my own side. Mitchell coming back makes a huge impact and our young stars (Sicily, Worpel, Lewis primarily), will have another pre-season under their belt. Im confident we can snag 13 wins +.
Geelong and Brisbane are the ultimate case of being thereabouts with potential to strike and cause upsets in September.
St.Kilda is the bolter. I'm sucked in by their off-season trade haul even if others aren't.

Melbourne will go close and at least give their supporters a season to be invested in. Just need some time to get back to basics and rediscover what they can from their 2018 form.
The scars will be there for all to see at the Giants. You can't put up the worst grand final performance in history and expect to be a contender going into the next season.
Essendon just can't find consistency. I don't expect 2020 to be any different.
Carlton will rise. Not finals yet however.
Sydney need another year of rebuilding in my opinion.
Fremantle and North Melbourne will find some teething issues with new coaches in the seat for a full season. I do like the kids coming through in both sides so expect them both to upset a few top teams next year.
South Australian footy won't have a great year. Hinkley will be moved on mid-season and the Crows are in full rebuild mode.
Expect the Suns to improve and snag an extra win or two. Realistically they just need to ensure they are competitive for 22 straight weeks as opposed to the horrible drop off in recent times.

Good summary , thanks .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Collingwood
2. West Coast
3. Richmond
4. Bulldogs
5. Geelong
6. GWS
7. Brisbane
8. Essendon
---------------
9. Hawthorn
10. North Melbourne
11. Port
12. Carlton
13. St Kilda
14. Fremantle
15. Melbourne
16. Adelaide
17. Sydney
18. GC

fwiw

GWS
Bulldogs
Richmond
Geelong
WCE
St.Kilda
Hawthorn
Brisbane

Melbourne
Sydney
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Essendon
North Melbourne
Port adelaide
Fremantle
Carlton
Adelaide

5 of the bottom 6 have new coaches,its gonna be tough going for those,so forget about them
Ratten on the other hand with St.kilda,hand in glove,the BIG improvers
Clarkson to have 6 former assistants coaching against him in the 8
Kennedy of WCE too old now,like Ablett will be getting found out against quality opponents on fast decks
Bulldogs have the IP to really challenge GWS & Us as serious contenders with Hawthorn,St.Kilda,Geelong & WCE not far behind
Brisbane,Collingwood & Essendon the ones to drop off

Last edited:
Brisbane
Richmond
Bulldogs
West Coast
Geelong
Hawthorn
GWS
Collingwood

Melbourne
Essendon
North Melbourne
Carlton
St Kilda
Fremantle
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Adelaide

Last edited:
I'm going to go down a different path and for the moment i'll just list a top 6 and come back and update it. This is after H+A

1. Geelong
2. WCE
3. Richmond
4. GWS
5. Bulldogs
6. Brisbane

WCE vs Richmond grand final after geelong get shafted in a prelim at the G by less than a goal by Richmond. West Coast to have a dominant 1994 like performance the next week and win the premiership after winning both their qualifying and prelim finals by under 2 goals.

Lots of predictions for bottom 2 for Adelaide, would love to see it happen for the melts at work but they will still win at least half their home games or more.
lol...love the banner ...i always chuckle at the hate carlton and essendon have for eachother...it reminds me of richmond & collingwood..tho personally i hate carlton more than collingwood... i feel more sorry for collingwood for some reason..anyway i like the banner : )

So difficult to predict the ladder. 7 out of the last 10 years has seen three teams drop out of the eight. The other three years has seen two teams drop out. It’s hard to see who drops out at the moment but there’ll be at least a couple. I’ll rule out Richmond and the Eagles dropping. Other than that it’s pretty open I reckon. Essendon seem like the easy one to leave out but there’s no real reason for them to drop. If Daniher and Smith get on the park consistently they should get better really.

Eagles
Dogs
Richmond
Pies
Cats
Hawks
Essendon
Melbourne

Lions
GWS
Saints
Blues