Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Geelong were fixtured 5 games at the mcg before they met you in the first final

you were fixtured 4 at marvel

There’s no difference. Either they’re all nuetral or they aren’t, you can’t have it both ways
So your argument then is not about the games at the MCG specifically. It is the games in Victoria, right?

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So your argument then is not about the games at the MCG specifically. It is the games in Victoria, right?
??? your definition of a nuetral game is moulded to suit your narrative involving Richmond’s recent history

how can one game be the difference between considering something nuetral or not?

If Geelongs final was nuetral surely your games at marvel should be considered the same. You’re not unfamiliar with the place and it’s just up the road

you want to make a point about only having 11 games fixtured at the mcg one year. You should consider that lucky, almost no one else got that.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
??? your definition of a nuetral game is moulded to suit your narrative involving Richmond’s recent history

how can one game be the difference between considering something nuetral or not?

If Geelongs final was nuetral surely your games at marvel should be considered the same. You’re not unfamiliar with the place and it’s just up the road

you want to make a point about only having 11 games fixtured at the mcg one year. You should consider that lucky, almost no one else got that.
OK, so let’s change the definition of our neutral games to include Marvel Stadium games like you are suggesting to do. Are you then saying that we had an advantage over non-Victorians in our Premiership years because we had so many games in Victoria?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

Ok. I don’t make a habit of being triggered by this s**t but if you’re going to insist on using the word neutral in multiple posts then maybe check your spelling.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, so let’s change the definition of our neutral games to include Marvel Stadium games like you are suggesting to do. Are you then saying that we had an advantage over non-Victorians in our Premiership years because we had so many games in Victoria?
I was countering your point on only having 11 games on the mcg, nothing more

but playing up to 17 games in one city has to be an advantage through lack of travel

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
So they will drop off because they have a few blokes hitting 30 yet Eagles and Pies will stay/rise with and older group of core players? LOL Martin hitting the ripe old age of 29.

Take your anti tigers blinkers off son.
tiger's are expected to contend. As I said, tiger's are this decades Geelong. I expect tiger's to fall short this year then win the flag in 2021

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I was countering your point on only having 11 games on the mcg, nothing more

but playing up to 17 games in one city has to be an advantage through lack of travel
Yeah that’s fine, I’ll give you that point. Let me tell you though that this is the case for most (if not all) of the Victorian teams. I expect that you’ll be complaining every time a Victorian wins the Premiership because Richmond is not much different to 2013-2015 Hawthorn, 2009-2010 St Kilda, 2007-2011 Geelong and 2010-2011 Collingwood in that they do not play many games interstate unless they have a Tasmanian arrangement like Hawthorn do.

I imagine that it would be very tiring thinking that your team has been hard done by if 1 in every 2 teams in this competition wins the Premiership

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah that’s fine, I’ll give you that point. Let me tell you though that this is the case for most (if not all) of the Victorian teams. I expect that you’ll be complaining every time a Victorian wins the Premiership because Richmond is not much different to 2013-2015 Hawthorn, 2009-2010 St Kilda, 2007-2011 Geelong and 2010-2011 Collingwood in that they do not play many games interstate unless they have a Tasmanian arrangement like Hawthorn do.

I imagine that it would be very tiring thinking that your team has been hard done by if 1 in every 2 teams in this competition wins the Premiership
I just think things have fallen Richmond’s way a lot more than other Victorian premiers. Home finals, lack of injuries for a couple of seasons. Getting Tom Lynch when you did, helpful fixturing etc. Teams like Hawthorn and Geelong terrorised the competition in all circumstances year round and I can’t put Richmond along side them, but the competition is more even these days so it’s a lot harder to dominate. You’re one of the front runners this season for sure, I’m just backing a few to catch you this year

nuetral

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I just think things have fallen Richmond’s way a lot more than other Victorian premiers. Home finals, lack of injuries for a couple of seasons. Getting Tom Lynch when you did, helpful fixturing etc. Teams like Hawthorn and Geelong terrorised the competition in all circumstances year round and I can’t put Richmond along side them, but the competition is more even these days so it’s a lot harder to dominate. You’re one of the front runners this season for sure, I’m just backing a few to catch you this year

nuetral
I really don’t mind if you think we can be caught by a few. I don’t have an issue with that.

It’s just that our games in Victoria are comparable with previous Victorian Premiers/Minor Premiers so I don’t think that this is worth mentioning as an extraneous variable because it applies to Victorian teams in general. Only ~5 of those Victorian games are against non-Victorians anyway, which is basically just as much as we travel (Non-Victorians tend to travel as much as they host travelling teams too). The rested play the rested a lot. The travellers play the travellers a lot.

Yes, I don’t think that we are as dominant as Geelong and Hawthorn, but the amount of Victorian games (+ Tasmanian/Geelong games for Hawthorn/Geelong) we had are comparable.

You can think what you want, but I think that you’re wrong in your assertion that things fell into place for us more than the average Premier in the past. To me, the 2018 and 2019 seasons proved that we achieved the most in the last 3 years for a very good reason.

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

nuetral
Richmond were really dominant in 2017, after the bye especially. Definitely can't say the same about Richmond last season. Nowhere near as dominant, but definitely turned it on and stepped up in the last 7-8 weeks. Tom Lynch is a good acquisition, not sure you can really call that lucky though. Richmond have had a dream run with injuries in the last 3 years, aside from the first 6-7 weeks of last season. The last season where my beloved pies weren't decimated by injuries was 2010 ffs.

As for home finals? Whatever, I don't think they've been notably lucky in that regard. They were a bit blessed to not play away from the G at all last season after pretty much the byes however.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Richmond were really dominant in 2017, after the bye especially. Definitely can't say the same about Richmond last season. Nowhere near as dominant, but definitely turned it on and stepped up in the last 7-8 weeks. Tom Lynch is a good acquisition, not sure you can really call that lucky though. Richmond have had a dream run with injuries in the last 3 years, aside from the first 6-7 weeks of last season. The last season where my beloved pies weren't decimated by injuries was 2010 ffs.

As for home finals? Whatever, I don't think they've been notably lucky in that regard. They were a bit blessed to not play away from the G at all last season after pretty much the byes however.

Oh dear? First six or 7 weeks?

Rance missed the season
Cotchin missed 11 games
Reiwodlt missed 12
Namkervis 14
Short 10

and a variety of others as well including stack at the end.They had two players play every game- lowest in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
As a Dees fan, firstly:

- Top 7 from last year make it into September again IMO

- Getting very scared of Hawthorn and North. Hawks look better on paper than they have for a while.

I'll go:

1. Pies(just have a way more realistic approach to their side than last year trying to fit in all their stars, I value mids a lot and I think Pies' midfield group covers most bases in that regard)
2. Tigers(win the flag for mine but just won't be at their best until mid-season IMO nothing wrong with that)
3. Cats(People underrate how good they were last year, I know Kelly is a beast but I'm a Parfitt fan and he's been ready to play midfield minutes since start of last season, plus Narkle looked quite good as a mid too back of H&A season. Will tinker and rotate a bit but already such a good H&A side, not huge on their flag hopes though after Q1 vs the Pies in the QF)
4. Giants(not that much list movement and/or injuries relative to previous years, first 3 games give them great chance to build rhythm before Ward comes back. I get the mental issues people bring up, they fall asleep a lot, but I mean they haven't put their best 15-or so on the park and gotten some rhythm since 2016 seemingly. Not a huge fan of Cameron either, but with any rhythm/injury luck they'll push the top 2)
5. Dogs(made such shrewd list acquisitions and near back to their best with the gameplan. Not perfect but will start super hot with their energy IMO, depth has been elite for going on 3 seasons now too)
6. Lions(Not a huge fan of the forwards, I think by mid season they'll get into a serious groove but still quite a young side, they will drop winnable games)
7. Eagles(Just rotated so much last year and the interrupted pre-seasons for McGovern and Barrass; they should back their side and be in no rush to bring players back, could drop some early. R22, R23 matchups look mouthwatering)

Keep in mind I have the whole top 7 winning 14+ games, and Hawks getting 14 is quite plausible to me too.

8. Hawthorn(Clarko mainly. And their crazy medical crew. They'll get 40 snags from Patton, Titch coming back; they've got enough to beat teams like the Dees consistently IMO. On paper they the best they've looked since 2015 I feel)

I know North have a fantastic list, I just think Clarko is the best coach in the league, North need to be infallible vs the bottom 9-10 and I don't know if they have that in them. Have the talent to upset anyone in the comp though.

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli

My big million dollar question that remains to be unanswered by any WC supporter that has NON stop whinged since September 29th, 2019. Mind you I have posted this on multiple threads but seems not one Weagle has responded.

Why wasn't there any of this Richmond-MCG advantage talk between the lost years of 1983 to 2011??? Well to be exact probably until 2017 finals series.

My opinion is that while Richmond were putrid at best & getting belted into submission week in week out no one gave two *s about that "advantage"!

I clearly remember the Hawks getting criticised during thier 3 peat years........
Why? because they were "unfortunately" successful at the time....

In a few years when Richmond become irrelevant again like Carlton has been the last 25 years. This nonsense would not be involving Richmond. Book mark it!

What I really struggle to understand is WC won it in 2018 against an MCG tenant! But still remain the biggest sooks.

Why don't you all recognise the fact you weren't good enough last year.

Round 5 - destroyed at home.
Round 6 - mauled by Geelong.
Round 17 - Shat the bed.
Round 22 - beaten by the better side.
Round 23 - completely shat the bed!!
SF - beaten by a much superior side on the night.

All above should be blamed for your failure to go back to back not Richmond's "MCG" advantage.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
My big million dollar question that remains to be unanswered by any WC supporter that has NON stop whinged since September 29th, 2019. Mind you I have posted this on multiple threads but seems not one Weagle has responded.

Why wasn't there any of this Richmond-MCG advantage talk between the lost years of 1983 to 2011??? Well to be exact probably until 2017 finals series.

My opinion is that while Richmond were putrid at best & getting belted into submission week in week out no one gave two fu**s about that "advantage"!

I clearly remember the Hawks getting criticised during thier 3 peat years........

In a few years when Richmond become irrelevant again like Carlton has been the last 25 years. This nonsense would not be involving Richmond. Book mark it!

What I really struggle to understand is WC won it in 2018 against an MCG tenant! But still remain the biggest sooks.

Round 17 - Shat the bed.

All above should be blamed for your failure to go back to back not Richmond's "MCG" advantage.
This has been going on since the 2017 season when Richmond shocked Adelaide. I am starting to think that it is just not worth it because a lot of these non-Victorian supporters just like to hone in on our teams’ ‘advantages’ while disregarding the advantages that their teams have over Victorian sides.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

My opinion is that while Richmond were putrid at best & getting belted into submission week in week out no one gave two fu**s about that "advantage"!

Of course that's true. Why would anyone zero in on the advantages of a team that was almost entirely absent from finals during that time? The reason why no one was talking about the Tigers is because the simply weren't worth talking about.

However, the argument about Grand Finals at MCG has been an argument for many years since the competition went national. As a flag contender who is is also an MCG tennant, it's logical that the conversation would include Richmond since 2017, but not between 1982 and 2016.

Also- In terms of banter, this is a two way street. I have seen many Tigers supporters refer to Optus (and KP) as "cheat grounds", whatever that means.

Now you get it. It isn't about Richmond at all. Instead it is about the structure of our national competition. In the eyes of those who believe the fixture and structure still benefits Victorian teams, they see Richmond as the most recent beneficiary of AFL's Vic-centric structure. People have views on it, one way or the other.

Round 17 - Shat the bed.

I disagree with your description of some of those games, but I'll ignore that and engage with the broader idea.

Who ever wins the flag in any given year has "sliding door" moments, and either things go your way or they don't. In 2018 we were able to seize the moment when the opportunity presented itself (wins against Port, Pies x2,) and in 2019 we weren't (at home v Pies, Round 22 v Tigers , and SF v Cats). We led in all 3 of those matches at 3/4 time and ended up losing. To my mind, those three games were the difference.

Eagles fans all know that we weren't as good in 2019 as we were in 2018. We also know we will need to be better in 2020 if we want to win the flag.

As an Eagles fan the improvement expected in 2020 with fit NicNat, TK11 etc puts us in good stead for 2020. The sense is we will be in it up to our eye balls again next year, so I guess we will have to see how it eventuates.

Last edited:

I don't agree with the supporters arguing a conspiracy or some kind of undeserved flag. I also don't care for yet another shitfight in what is normally a good thread where we can have a healthy debate without engaging in trolling.

Richmond and all other MCG tenants have an advantage for games at the MCG against interstate sides. The statistics and common sense support this. West Coast and other interstate teams also have a sizeable advantage at their grounds. The statistics and common sense support this. More travel generally is not as good as less travel when it comes to performance in all professional sporting competitions (including the AFL). The statistics and common sense support this.

Personally, I think the loss of a true home advantage when Richmond plays another Melbourne based side during their home games is more than offset by travelling 10 times a year to an interstate venue for interstate clubs. That's probably the real issue worthy of debate.

With all that, though, Richmond deserved their flag in 2019. They won an away qualifying final to set up a home prelim which they deserved to win, and of course no one believes GWS should have won the GF. All sides deserved their flags in their respective years.

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh dear? First six or 7 weeks?

Rance missed the season
Cotchin missed 11 games
Reiwodlt missed 12
Namkervis 14
Short 10

and a variety of others as well including stack at the end.They had two players play every game- lowest in the league.
point is (obviously aside from rance), once you got your players back, they were back for good pretty much. great run with injuries once they were back. and come the business end of the season everyone but rance was fit, which compared to collingwood, gws, bulldogs, west coast, etc (everyone but brisbane) is great. literally every other club had way more injured players (not brisbane though). credit to your medical staff and management i suppose.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
This has been going on since the 2017 season when Richmond shocked Adelaide. I am starting to think that it is just not worth it because a lot of these non-Victorian supporters just like to hone in on our teams’ ‘advantages’ while disregarding the advantages that their teams have over Victorian sides.
I'm a neutral at this as it cuts both ways. There's a positive and negative.

Yes you got the MCG advantage on GF day. However when it comes to gun local talent, Richmond has to fight against 9 other state teams for a Dustin Martin type player.

I'm a Freo fan and we only get west coast as competitive opponent to fight for local kids.

So in theory, west coast should easily make finals winning 10 of their 12 games. At home and beating 2-4 away teams away.

Again...... Cuts both ways

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a neutral at this as it cuts both ways. There's a positive and negative.

Yes you got the MCG advantage on GF day. However when it comes to gun local talent, Richmond has to fight against 9 other state teams for a Dustin Martin type player.

I'm a Freo fan and we only get west coast as competitive opponent to fight for local kids.

So in theory, west coast should easily make finals winning 10 of their 12 games. At home and beating 2-4 away teams away.

Again...... Cuts both ways

You lot hardly bother recruiting local talent unless they come with a discount like Henry did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back