Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

In my experience watching the AFL, it's very, very rare for a guy who has never averaged much more than 15 touches in under 18's or in his time in the AFL can just magically transition into the midfield and do it well. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't hold much hope that Hayward can move into the midfield with any real long-term success.

I'd like to see him play more up on a flank but he'll need a bigger tank for that. I'd love to see him getting the ball more beyond the 50m arc and delivering inside 50. He started the year really positively before his broken jaw and hip, I'm not discounting he has that ability.

amen

hence stuff getting lewis taylor

As for Mills, his 2nd half of the year was fantastic down back. To me, he was starting to show the presence needed to lead the defence. I'd be stunned if he was moved now that he's just starting to make that next step up.

If he gets a full pre-season in and plays a full year in 2020, he could be pushing for the AA squad on the basis of that form.

he had a very good season

cant see him pushing out the other contenders for defence around the comp

if rampe can't make it this year, grundy struggled etc

amen

Taylor averaged 20.9 touches in 2015 and 19.4 in 2017? Also close to a goal a game for most of his career. Would be a handy pick-up IMO. Played a ripper of a game against Hawthorn in a close one this year.

Taylor averaged 20.9 touches in 2015 and 19.4 in 2017? Also close to a goal a game for most of his career. Would be a handy pick-up IMO. Played a ripper of a game against Hawthorn in a close one this year.

hey his last 2 years closer to 15 touches

and last 2 years are everything remember

amen

Taylor won't be a proper midfielder though, wing and HFF is perfect for him as I see it. I'm more positive on that signing, assuming it actually is finalised. He's done the job since he came into the league, if he gets senior opportunities I trust he'll continue to.

he had a very good season

cant see him pushing out the other contenders for defence around the comp

if rampe can't make it this year, grundy struggled etc

I said AA squad to be clear, I doubt he'll be able to make the 22 unless he has a truly excellent year either.

Rampe not making it was criminal. It was pathetic how all the commentators could talk about were those gaffes he made all year. Up there with Kennedy missing selection in 2017 for Selwood imo.

Taylor won't be a proper midfielder though, wing and HFF is perfect for him as I see it. I'm more positive on that signing, assuming it actually is finalised. He's done the job since he came into the league, if he gets senior opportunities I trust he'll continue to.

I said AA squad to be clear, I doubt he'll be able to make the 22 unless he has a truly excellent year either.

Rampe not making it was criminal. It was pathetic how all the commentators could talk about were those gaffes he made all year. Up there with Kennedy missing selection in 2017 for Selwood imo.

Just anticipating mills would have to turn into bruce doull to be rewarded with a spot in the squad :p

hey his last 2 years closer to 15 touches

and last 2 years are everything remember
Fair point, but even then it's 16.5 and 17.7. And that's largely due to him being in and out of the team and having his role changed a bit. Realistically his 2018 numbers aren't too different to Cunningham and we've been rapt with his improvement. Cunningham is undoubtedly the better player don't get me wrong, but would rather have Taylor as depth than most others. I'd just about have him best 22 personally.

Fair point, but even then it's 16.5 and 17.7. And that's largely due to him being in and out of the team and having his role changed a bit. Realistically his 2018 numbers aren't too different to Cunningham and we've been rapt with his improvement. Cunningham is undoubtedly the better player don't get me wrong, but would rather have Taylor as depth than most others. I'd just about have him best 22 personally.
Preseason will tell. He might train the house down!

According to my best 22 (which I am not willing to share as some inclusions and omissions will just set s**t off on here), if all are fit and available, we'll have an average games played of just over 88. This year it was usually in the lower 70s if my memory serves me correctly. Not ideal, because it basically means if the experienced players go down, like they did this year, we'll find ourselves in a similar situation where we're turning to young'ns in the NEAFL to fill spots. We didn't add the array of experienced bodies I would've liked in the trade period, but no point dwelling. It will only be a problem if we have yet another injury-struck year (surely we are due for a good one?!)

O'Riordan - Rampe - Lloyd
Mills - Aliir - Dawson
Blakey - Parker - Florent
Hayward - Reid - Heeney
McCartin - Franklin - Menzel
Naismith - Hewett - Rowbottom

Kennedy - Taylor - Cunningham? - Fox?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are to play finals.... buddy needs to play 18 games and heeney has to fulfill his potential

Probably, but that's most teams other than the very best contenders who can cover for injuries and form issues because their lists are in 'the window'.

I mean look at Hawthorn this year. Lost Mitchell and they plummeted from top 4 to missing finals.

We may not even need Heeney to fulfil his potential, and it's almost unfair to place that just on him. Expect him to keep improving, sure, but to fulfil his potential? Gee whiz. He along with several others need to improve for us to play finals. We get a good year out of say him, Hewett, Florent, Hayward and Dawson alone would be massive bump. It's fair to expect that of them, but it wouldn't shock me nor would I enter crisis mode if it didn't eventuate.

O'Riordan - Rampe - Lloyd
Mills - Aliir - Dawson
Blakey - Parker - Florent
Hayward - Reid - Heeney
McCartin - Franklin - Menzel
Naismith - Hewett - Rowbottom

Kennedy - Taylor - Cunningham? - Fox?

I think that team is lacking one tall defender. I guess within that 22 you could have either Reid or McCartin goes back if Melican is not staking his claim with a strong preseason? I'd be inclined to have both Naismith and Sinclair in the 22. Sinclair in definitely frees up Reid or McCartin for more time back. I would have him at the expense of Fox. I think Papley should be there instead of Menzel who is technically not yet on the list for 2020 yet.

Our performances against the Giants, Eagles & Hawks have me holding out that we won't be in the wilderness for too long

Rampe is getting old and carried the defence

Buddy old and Sinclair

There’s some holes that haven’t been addressed

Buddy old and Sinclair

But on the flipside another season and another pre-season in to the maturing Heeney, Mills, Aliir, Florent, Hayward, Blakey, McCartin etc.

Buddy old and Sinclair

Our defence is the only area I'm really concerned about developing. Blakey & McCartin I see as a dominant forward duo in the near future but I agree about Rampe carrying the defence. Hoping Melican returns on the up and Aliir continues his development.

B: O'Riordan; McCartin; Rampe
HB: Lloyd; Aliir; Mills
C: Dawson; Parker; Florent
HF: Heeney; Franklin; Hayward
F: Sinclair; Reid; Papley
R: Naismith; Hewett; Kennedy
INT: Rowbottom; Cunningham; Blakey; Taylor

Thurlow; Clarke; Fox; Stoddart; McInerney; McCartin; Ronke; Menzel; McLean

Is it because we play a back half game rather than a forward half game that Horse won't move Mills to the midfield? If we relied more for our scoring from pressure in the forward half, that is, had a different game plan and a different coach, maybe we could afford to have Mills in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back