Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we were the 6th best side for goals per inside 50 if I remember correctly.

4th best for points per inside 50, behind West Coast, Geelong, and GWS. Same for goals per inside 50, with the same teams ahead of us. We were also the top side for marks inside 50 per inside 50. They are good indicators that the mix is working reasonably well even with Franklin only playing 10 games, ie we're finding avenues when we actually get the ball up there.

At the same time we conceded the fewest marks inside 50 per opposition inside 50, and had the second least goals and points against per inside 50 conceded (behind Geelong). Going okay at both ends!

With the various talls and smalls and hybrid mid/fwds available I really wouldn't be focusing on that part of the ground as the area of concern. It's much more about the stoppages and moving effectively out of defence - our inside 50s, contested possession and clearances balances were all awful. Personally I think our biggest issue was defending against opposition clearances and contested ball. We had big issues with positioning around stoppages and with our tackling/pressure decisionmaking which allowed too many easy outlet handballs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say that, and you weren't comparing the game across different eras either?
I was commenting on how boring it is reading your negative posts,, day after day after day............

punts said 18 behind the ball stops you getting blown out
i said it was boring as batshit, it is boring, its making the game dull compared to what it is at its best

i know what you were commenting on, if you dont like what was said, dont read it, there is an ignore button near my name, i find the empty swans can do no wrong posts and sulking if anyone disagrees more boring. you should try watching the games you might learn something chump

Those who complain about the standard of the modern game and reminisce about the glory days will still watch every minute of every game in 2020.

If you really didn’t like the game you wouldn’t watch it.
And us that never grew up in those decades will complain about the 2040s and how much we miss seeing the 2010s and 2020s*. Nostalgia goggles are a thing

*Assuming the AFL doesn't rape the game like they seem to slowly be doing

I just listed the players who are turning 25 and under this year,, ie. the players that could still be in the team in 5 years, Guys that could be playing their best footy at the same time
It seems quite well balanced and imo shows the Swans are planning and have been planning for the years ahead for a while now, rather than just trying to stay in touch by trading like the Hawks for example.

Forwards
McCartin, Haywood, Ronke, Heeney, Papley (put Heeney in the forwards and to balance that put Blakey in the mids. Yep, included Ronke)
Mids
Blakey, Rowbottom, Florent, Hewett, Taylor
Backs
Gould, Mills, Dawson, COR, Allirr (included Gould as i reckon hes physically, mentally and good enough for senior footy)

5 in each group. Theres a good spread across each group, ie.. inside/outside mids, Talls/smalls etc

Reserve 1 (guys that could play this year, either have debuted or are likely too. But guys that aren't best 22 - yet)
Warner, Stephens, Foot, Mcinerney, Wicks, McLean, Bell, Stoddart, Ling, Maibaum, Clarke, Melican, Brand, Thurlow
Reserve 11 (not ready this year)
E Taylor, Rowles, OConnor, Reynolds, Amartey.

In the Reserve 1 group, I reckon theres 8 or 9 players that could become regular AFL players. The 2nd group is much more speculative, but Ive high hopes for at least a couple of them

How many of these guys will become A graders, B graders or depth players

And us that never grew up in those decades will complain about the 2040s and how much we miss seeing the 2010s and 2020s*. Nostalgia goggles are a thing

*Assuming the AFL doesn't rape the game like they seem to slowly be doing

I started watching in the 70s. The game is no less of a spectacle now. The moaners are full of s**t.

IMO it's pretty clear Horse wants us to play attacking footy, or at the very least different from the way we used to play that served us a lot of success but is now somewhat out-dated. You only need to look at our recent drafting:

2016 - speedy mid in Florent, prolific forward Hayward, creative small forward Ronke.
2017 - classy Ling, athletic key forward McCartin, speedy half back Stoddart.
2018 - self-explanatory Blakey, classy and explosive Rowbottom, speedsters in McInerney and Foot.
2019 - classy mid Stephens, attacking/rebounding defender Gould, X-factor forward Taylor.

I'm not seeing a lot of guys in there whose stand-out attributes are their defensive nous or their ability to create a hard slog (Warner is the exception here, though he was our fourth selection at the draft.) Whether Horse is any good or not at getting these guys to get their games going and form a cohesive, attacking team, that's yet to be determined, and probably won't be for a few years, but I think it's pretty obvious that he's willing and attempting to make that change that most of us want to see.

punts said 18 behind the ball stops you getting blown out
i said it was boring as batshit, it is boring, its making the game dull compared to what it is at its best

i know what you were commenting on, if you dont like what was said, dont read it, there is an ignore button near my name, i find the empty swans can do no wrong posts and sulking if anyone disagrees more boring. you should try watching the games you might learn something chump
The swans have made the finals almost every year over the last 20.. not much wrong with that
They've won 2 flags in the last 15 years.. nothing wrong with that
They dont operate in the Aussie Rule hubs of Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth which throws up hurdles the bulk of the competition doesn't have to deal with,, yet remain successful.
The Swans Club and culture is recognised and admired across all sporting codes throughout Australia, and probably internationally.. not much wrong with that.
Things considered mistakes are likely only mistakes to the blind man, and we're all blind as we never know the full details of the situation.

All in all, The Swans do a bloody excellent job at running a Footy team.. and winning.

And.... my great grandfather used words like 'chump', he'd be 117 years old today - played footy for Albury. You're showing your cranky old age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back