Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's silly to pull Aliir from defence.

Better than wasting two spots on 4 or 5 out of 10 ruckmen! Play an extra runner whether it be Stephens, COR, even Clarke. Don't need two rucks when both are poor to average on a good day.

Better than wasting two spots on 4 or 5 out of 10 ruckmen! Play an extra runner whether it be Stephens, COR, even Clarke. Don't need two rucks when both are poor to average on a good day.
can you please give a score out of ten for all swans players. Make a list so we can all refer to it. Then we dont have to continually read your (poor, ill informed, sh*thouse) judgements of Swans players.
How many games have you watched Naismith play in the last two years? Two pre-season games? If so, you have no grounds to judge him

can you please give a score out of ten for all swans players. Make a list so we can all refer to it. Then we dont have to continually read your (poor, ill informed, sh*thouse) judgements of Swans players.
How many games have you watched Naismith play in the last two years? Two pre-season games? If so, you have no grounds to judge him

Naismith is only a serviceable ruck and that's at the absolute best. We don't need two of those types. Pick one of them, I don't care which way they go, just don't waste another spot on the other one. Another mid or a runner would be a lot better. Use AA or Reid when fit as the chop out ruck. That's plenty.

There’s an ignore button

Naismith can be judged otherwise how’s he ahead of Sinclair based on two games of pre season?

There’s an ignore button

Naismith can be judged otherwise how’s he ahead of Sinclair based on two games of pre season?
I guess the team selectors have seen a lot more than 2 pre season games.. 2 x neafl games end of last year + a whole pre season.
He may have shown enough over the pre season to warrant selection over Sinkers, but 'us punters' certainly haven't seen enough (not a single premiership game) to score him out of 10.

Naismith is only a serviceable ruck and that's at the absolute best. We don't need two of those types. Pick one of them, I don't care which way they go, just don't waste another spot on the other one. Another mid or a runner would be a lot better. Use AA or Reid when fit as the chop out ruck. That's plenty.
Without seeing him play for 2 years, its extremely hard to make a judgement - 5/10, 'serviceable ruck at best' !!
Give him 10 - 20 games, then make your call. You might be surprised
AA in the ruck is / was an absolute last resort - hopefully one of our three rucks will be fit and our tall rookies - Knoll, McLean, Armatey will be able to contribute at seniors better than last year.

I guess the team selectors have seen a lot more than 2 pre season games.. 2 x neafl games end of last year + a whole pre season.
He may have shown enough over the pre season to warrant selection over Sinkers, but 'us punters' certainly haven't seen enough (not a single premiership game) to score him out of 10.

He’s played before though

It’s not unreasonable for someone to have a view

Without seeing him play for 2 years, its extremely hard to make a judgement - 5/10, 'serviceable ruck at best' !!
Give him 10 - 20 games, then make your call. You might be surprised
AA in the ruck is / was an absolute last resort - hopefully one of our three rucks will be fit and our tall rookies - Knoll, McLean, Armatey will be able to contribute at seniors better than last year.

My issue is playing both is a waste of a spot. Personally I’m playing an extra runner. We need guys going through the midfield.

My issue is playing both is a waste of a spot. Personally I’m playing an extra runner. We need guys going through the midfield.
In that scenario Sinclair is playing as a tall forward. The focus isn't on a two ruck strategy, it's a replacement for Buddy so we have some additional height in the forwards.

Now this may be a controversial statement but I don't think that Sinclair is as good a player as Buddy. However, he can clunk them and is a decent shot for goal so I'm OK with playing him at full forward.

In that scenario Sinclair is playing as a tall forward. The focus isn't on a two ruck strategy, it's a replacement for Buddy so we have some additional height in the forwards.

Now this may be a controversial statement but I don't think that Sinclair is as good a player as Buddy. However, he can clunk them and is a decent shot for goal so I'm OK with playing him at full forward.

Rather just play Parker and Heeney forward. Bring in an extra runner. We’ve got enough height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather just play Parker and Heeney forward. Bring in an extra runner. We’ve got enough height.
I'd be OK with that, too. My only concern is that our contested ball was terrible last year so I'd still want Parker at the coal face.

I'd be OK with that, too. My only concern is that our contested ball was terrible last year so I'd still want Parker at the coal face.

I thought we went best in the trial with both forward. It’s worth a go!

I thought we went best in the trial with both forward. It’s worth a go!
Every stat known to man says that our midfield is our glaring weakness with contested ball being at the forefront. If that means playing Sinclair to keep someone like Parker in the middle then it makes sense. If your idea of playing an extra runner means it improves our ball movement through the middle then that might also have merit. Hard to say. I guess it'll fall to the best match-ups.

Clarke did not seem like he was on for long but seemed to demonstrate his strengths and weaknesses.

I think he has got excellent defensive running ability to get to contests and win the ball. Which I think is something our midfield lacks. So I think we are a better chance of winning games with him in our best 22.
Hi Sean, Clarke's gut running is his strength. He has also proved to be a more than competent tagger. He is good at making position and getting the pill. But I would love him to put some really big time into his disposal and tackling. If he can clean these two areas up he will be a very good AFL player.

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every stat known to man says that our midfield is our glaring weakness with contested ball being at the forefront. If that means playing Sinclair to keep someone like Parker in the middle then it makes sense. If your idea of playing an extra runner means it improves our ball movement through the middle then that might also have merit. Hard to say. I guess it'll fall to the best match-ups.

I would play Parker forward I feel for the team he adds a dynamic up forward. Plus it stops him hacking kicks forward. I’ve always thought of him MAINLY as a forward personally going forward.

The query is whether these running types are ready but happy to gamble in a year that’s development really

Anyone mentioned that Kennedy had an amazing game with a ruck?

We will only see if it means anything later on, but could you imagine being JPK, battling it out to get any possession for the last 2 years, and all of a sudden, someone taps it to you?

I feel that Naismith WON'T be the messiah, but there will be a lot of our mids who'll love him none the less.
I agree. Someone on here in the game thread made the comment Goldie killed him. In fact he did not. They both had 27 HO. Around the ground Goldstien was better but Naismith beat him in the ruck because he took the ball out of the ruck three times, not counted as a HO, and got three clearance that won't count on the stats sheets because he either kicked off the ground or knocked the ball out.

This not only helps it is gold for mids. To have a ruck who is strong enough to break packs and scatter opponents to help our mids get position is GOLD, GOLD, GOLD

The Lloyd hate baffles me. He plays a particular type of role and does it very well, week in and week out. He's not Nick Smith but the coaches don't expect him to be.
I agree with you. He is a very good player. He is told to play a certain role and does so. I would rather see him in the mids as he is one of the best set shots for goal I have ever seen. But...

I agree with you. He is a very good player. He is told to play a certain role and does so. I would rather see him in the mids as he is one of the best set shots for goal I have ever seen. But...

I’d like him pushing forward but Lloyd is literally the last of our problems imo

Two rucks seems overkill when they are both just 5/10 standard. Just play one and let AA relief until Reid is back.
Reid will play Round 1. Naismith is far better than 5/10. In 2016 he was the driving force behind our midfield dominance. He and Goldie broke even in HO but Naismith took the ball out of the ruck 3 time, not counted as a HO. Goldie won around the ground, 20-9 but they were even on clearances. But Naismith got one kick off ground, not counted as a disposal, and two knock outs of packs to Swans players.

I agree Sinclair has been poor and should spend time in the Twos. I think we need to move on from him and develop Knoll and Mclean. Amartey is being developed as a key forward not a ruck so might play some game time later if his NEAFL form is good enough

How many hit outs to advantage did Naismith get

We lost the clearances can cherry pick stats I guess

We probably won’t play round 1 anyway

Lloyd is a good player his role is the issue imo , adds nothing he got exposed in the all star game

I would play Parker forward I feel for the team he adds a dynamic up forward. Plus it stops him hacking kicks forward. I’ve always thought of him MAINLY as a forward personally going forward.

The query is whether these running types are ready but happy to gamble in a year that’s development really
Our problem is that we don't get it to the forward line. We were second last for inside 50s last year with only Gold Coast behind us. Our back and forward lines are actually pretty good but we're getting murdered in the middle. It is THE priority.

Our problem is that we don't get it to the forward line. We were second last for inside 50s last year with only Gold Coast behind us. Our back and forward lines are actually pretty good but we're getting murdered in the middle. It is THE priority.

Doing the same thing (same midfield) won’t help that though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back