Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s fine , each to there own

Unless his kicking improves he is no good to the side imo
We were calling him one of our most important distributors last year? Seems like everyone is forgetting that after one match. Especially considering he had 75% DE in that match and is 2nd in the comp for goal assists.

Interesting call.

I guess it depends on what we want from Hayward. He was never a big ball-winner before being drafted, but was a prolific goal-scorer.

If Hayward stays at the output of his best season thus far, 2018, he goes on to average 1.2 goals a game. If he gets to 200 games for us, he ends up with 240 goals when combined with the 64 he's managed from his first 54 games. It goes up to 300 goals if he reaches 250 games.

If Hayward improves that output to about 1.5 goals a game (the most realistic expectation for him going forward), then from 200 games, he'd end up with 283 goals. It goes up to 358 goals if he reaches 250 games.

If Hayward somehow manages to exceed expectations and live up to his full potential, he could average 2 goals a game, something other medium forwards like Breust, De Goey, Menzel and Caddy have all done in recent years. If he played 200 games, he ends up with 356 goals. It goes up to 456 goals if he reaches 250 games.

So all signs point to Hayward having a very fine career at the least. How durable and fit he manages to stay, who knows, but he is tracking very nicely.

It ultimately depends on which Hayward you think is the real Hayward? The fit 2018 version, or the injured, inconsistent 2019 version? I'll back the former.
I reckon when fit he is dangerous and a 2 goal a game person. He will be fit will be fit on the restart so i guess we will see. Im a fan

To be fair last year was almost a complete write off for Hayward. Every time he got going he got injured. He’s never going to be a high possession player. However I almost feel Papley and Hayward (and I am not saying Will is as good) is a similar type and they don’t go well in the same side
not similar types.Hayward cant start in the middle. Papley cant chase down hayward

Papley does well out of the middle. He is not just a forward

Pushing it. No better than some forward who does a burst here and there in the middle. Elite forward though. It’s one thing I swear I hope we’ve learnt! Leave him forward.

Pushing it. No better than some forward who does a burst here and there in the middle. Elite forward though. It’s one thing I swear I hope we’ve learnt! Leave him forward.
I like him forward. i would rather he stay there.but check the tape. he does spend time at the bounce and does not disgrace himself. in fact he excels. comparisons with other small forwards does not do him any favours. He is elite a a small forward. but how many of those he is compared to can go to a centre bounce like he does and do well.

I like him forward. i would rather he stay there.but check the tape. he does spend time at the bounce and does not disgrace himself. in fact he excels. comparisons with other small forwards does not do him any favours. He is elite a a small forward. but how many of those he is compared to can go to a centre bounce like he does and do well.

I hope we never see him in the middle every time we do it stuffs up our forward line. You are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Give Stephens a go in the middle if need be. Gray is also a better option in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we never see him in the middle every time we do it stuffs up our forward line. You are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Give Stephens a go in the middle if need be. Gray is also a better option in the middle
You still have not acknowledged the fact that he does do well at the centre bounce. does he or does he not?

You still have not acknowledged the fact that he does do well at the centre bounce. does he or does he not?

For me personally no he doesn’t. I’d rather others in there. There’s a reason our forward line has looked iffy at times. Gray was bought to play in the midfield.

For me personally no he doesn’t. I’d rather others in there. There’s a reason our forward line has looked iffy at times. Gray was bought to play in the midfield.
so you are saying Papley is poor out of the centre bounces

Paps is alright in the midfield, but he's one of the best forwards in the comp, so he should play there. Cyril Rioli was a pretty solid midfielder, but he was much more destructive in the forward line. We have a number of other midfield options we should be trialing this season anyway (Blakey, Florent, Rowbottom, McInerney, Stephens, Gray). Along with the likes of Parker, Hewett, and assuming any of Warner, Rowles, Wicks, Foot or Bell come good, we've got a pretty solid base there for a number of years IMO.

Never really understood the AFL obsession with turning every forward into a midfielder.

I first questioned it when Chris Scott decided to make Steve Johnson a midfielder. 19 disposals a game and 50-60 goals from Steve Johnson was appraently less valuable than 28 disposals a game and 20-25 goals.

Will take 35+ goals in a season over 8 more disposals a game any time please.

Disagree with anyone questioning Cunningham's place in the side. We missed him big time last year.
Last year his early form mirrors his first game. He wasted the ball. He was given a holiday by the coaching staff which happened to coincide with an injury. But in reality he would have been dropped and rightly so. Harry has the ability to be a great contributor. But early in the season his efforts have been a bit pathetic in recent times. I think he has far more upside than he shows early in a season.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think it hurts to give Papley a tiny bit of midfield time to get him more involved.

Watching him closely. He is very sharp. When the ball gets near him, he reacts faster than everyone else and picks it up cleanly or explodes on to it. So if he has not touched the ball for a bit. I can see the benefit in playing him upfield for short periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back