Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunningham is such a good fit as a back pocket. Defensively sound, quick and can keep up with the most dangerous guys, experience with close tagging/checking roles, and can be impactful as a runner when he plays confidently.

I'd play him on the best small forwards and allow Lloyd up the field to play exclusively on a wing with Stephens and Blakey getting most of the time on the other wing. I'd love to see us use the two wingmen set up like McCluggage and Robinson at Brisbane last year. Florent should spend most of his time in the guts this year but he can take some time on the wing as well.

Last year his early form mirrors his first game. He wasted the ball. He was given a holiday by the coaching staff which happened to coincide with an injury. But in reality he would have been dropped and rightly so. Harry has the ability to be a great contributor. But early in the season his efforts have been a bit pathetic in recent times. I think he has far more upside than he shows early in a season.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He had 82.4% DE last season...

He's been one of our best ddistributors for a number of seasons.

Seriously, where is this 3-year-old completely non-factual opinion coming from? I swear anyone can post a completely unsubstantiated garbage opinion on here and people will eat it up and run with it.

Cunningham has genuine pace and will break the line, is never going to be a star but is playing a role no one else can at the moment
That’s the thing he doesn’t break the lines

Genuine pace but doesn’t use it often enough

Johanison is what you call breaking the lines , 2 totally different things

He doesn’t take more than 10 steps then kicks , not bounce etc and run 50 breaking lines

That’s the thing he doesn’t break the lines

Genuine pace but doesn’t use it often enough

Johanison is what you call breaking the lines , 2 totally different things

He doesn’t take more than 10 steps then kicks , not bounce etc and run 50 breaking lines

He’s the only one who goes close how we lost Jones

I’d like to see him encouraged to do it more but that’s a coaching issue more than cunningham imo

agree he isn’t in the class of those you name, but he’s the best we have

He’s the only one who goes close how we lost Jones

I’d like to see him encouraged to do it more but that’s a coaching issue more than cunningham imo

agree he isn’t in the class of those you name, but he’s the best we have
What I find amusing is Cunningham gets shat on for his disposal, yet his disposal shits all over Jones'. I'd also argue he's more defensively accountable than Jones ever was, and that while Jones was more likely to take the game on and break the lines, he'd also make a few very costly mistakes a game doing so.

Not really comparing them as players, but the difference in the analyses surrounding them is interesting to say the least.

First instinct looks behind or give off

Mentality isn’t run and carry

Could be coaching no doubt

I definitely agree with the first two parts. He'll often turn over his shoulder for help with the ball rather than back himself to outrun the tackler or break a tackle. The perfect illustration of this instinct of his was in the 2017 SF against Geelong in the final quarter where he took a mark right in front 40m out in the final quarter and immediately looked around to pass off and eventually did to McVeigh in a slightly worse position. I remember Carey in the commentary box called it out as it was happening - he didn't want that moment.

Coaching I'm a bit split on. I think the coaching has really focused him on being sound defensively with tackling, body position, tagging etc. which is a good thing and has made him a better player but that may well have gone over the top into making him less keen to break the lines and go conservative. That's always been my issue with him - he'll often trail his opponent in to getting the ball and make sure he sticks the tackle rather than using his pace to be first there and maybe outpace them and break away.

I think his conservatism is not needed on a wing, anyway. I want to see Lloyd, Stephens and/or Blakey get time there and look to overlap and move the ball forward. Cunningham can be more than useful in defence where his defensive instincts are now strong.

What I find amusing is Cunningham gets shat on for his disposal, yet his disposal shits all over Jones'. I'd also argue he's more defensively accountable than Jones ever was, and that while Jones was more likely to take the game on and break the lines, he'd also make a few very costly mistakes a game doing so.

Not really comparing them as players, but the difference in the analyses surrounding them is interesting to say the least.

We dont really have many good users by foot, agree seems odd cunningham would cop it

Watch last game and his disposal a times and him breaking lines
I did watch the game. His first game back after an injury interrupted-season: 10 kicks, 12 touches, 75% DE, 1 clanger, 264 metres gained, 2nd in the comp for goal assists. His first kick in over half a year set-up our first goal of the season. Compare that to Dawson who we praise whenever we can on here: 12 kicks, 18 touches, 77.8% DE (note at a ratio of 2:1 kicks to handballs versus Harry at 5:1), 2 clangers.

Cunningham vs Jones averages in 2019
1590222558083.png

And that was in an injury interrupted season for Cunningham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, this crap about Cunningham is completely unsubstantiated and bewildering, really. I appreciate that we all have different opinions, but you blokes have really pulled this one out of your collective arses.

I did watch the game. His first game back after an injury interrupted-season: 10 kicks, 12 touches, 75% DE, 1 clanger, 264 metres gained, 2nd in the comp for goal assists. His first kick in over half a year set-up our first goal of the season. Compare that to Dawson who we praise whenever we can on here: 12 kicks, 18 touches, 77.8% DE (note at a ratio of 2:1 kicks to handballs versus Harry at 5:1), 2 clangers.

Cunningham vs Jones averages in 2019
View attachment 880043

And that was in an injury interrupted season for Cunningham.
Game changer

Breaking the lines

How long did he run with ball in hand breaking the lines

Did he hit a kick over 20m?

Game changer

Breaking the lines

How long did he run with ball in hand breaking the lines

Did he hit a kick over 20m?
On average his kicks went further than Dawson's AND were more accurate than Dawson's. Same goes for last season. Reckon we should drop Dawson?

On average his kicks went further than Dawson's AND were more accurate than Dawson's. Same goes for last season. Reckon we should drop Dawson?
Why we comparing him to Dawson

I’m talking about a line breaker that he clearly is not and never will be

Mentality is to panic look back and give of most times

Never see him breaking the lines and run and carrying the further than his 10 steps

Why we comparing him to Dawson

I’m talking about a line breaker that he clearly is not and never will be

Mentality is to panic look back and give of most times

Never see him breaking the lines and run and carrying the further than his 10 steps
Because you want him dropped and keep calling him garbage, yet his stats are comparable to Dawson, who plays in a similar position. Breaking the lines is great until you have minimal defensive accountability. Cunningham tends to beat whoever he plays on and uses the football better than almost anyone in the side.
His was garbage against the crows and that’s that
I really like your posting mate, but posts like this make it seem like you think your opinion is gospel, even when it's easily disproven by statistics. I suppose it's just your opinion, but it's like calling a bloke who has kicked 60.20 for the year "inaccurate", it's a pretty flimsy argument at best.

My opinion

He was s**t in his last game

Facts , doesn’t break the lines and that’s were the conversation started from

Plenty of times he has his chance to use his speed but always go for pass off or look back

Only have to watch it
You're clearly not wathing it, or missing significant parts though. Or are the statistics lying? It's gotta be one or the other.

He is in bottom 6 of best 22. He doesnt make huge errors nor does he create amazing scoring opportunities. He is an excellent 2-way runner which is why horse loves him, as even when he is matched up against a game-breaker on the other side rarely does he get destroyed.

Dont understand the hate, player with clear limitations, but still a solid contributor.

He is in bottom 6 of best 22. He doesnt make huge errors nor does he create amazing scoring opportunities. He is an excellent 2-way runner which is why horse loves him, as even when he is matched up against a game-breaker on the other side rarely does he get destroyed.

Dont understand the hate, player with clear limitations, but still a solid contributor.
This won't be a popular opinion, but I'd argue he's a lot more important for us than most here give him credit for. A man who was playing predominantly in one-on-one roles in the backline posting those stats is highly impressive, and we seriously need good distributors in the side, of which Cunningham is clearly one of our best.

Didn't we try Papley in the midfield and it didn't work out? Even Papley has admitted he's a forward and not a fwd/mid

Wouldn’t say it didn’t work out, in one of the only games he played predominantly as a mid last year he got 8 clearances. I reckon he is one of our better clearance (first hands on the footy) players we have.

However, It does expose his fairly average field kicking a bit (away from clearances). He is better used predominantly up forward but I don’t mind him getting a few midfield minutes here or there or mix it up a bit and get him into the thick of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back