Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to see Fox given a crack as a permanent third tall defender. Athletically there’s no reason why he couldn’t play there and go with those medium forwards. He’s a fairly decent kick and would also provide us with some run out of the backline. Also would free up Mills to finally become a full time midfielder like he should have been for the past 2 years.

FB: Mills - Aliir - Rampe
HB: Dawson - McCartin - Lloyd
C: Bennell - Kennedy - Hewett
HF: Heeney - Daniher - Blakey
FF: Hayward - Franklin - Reid
Foll: Naismith - Parker - Florent
I/C: Cunningham - O'Riordan - Rowbottom - Menzel

Damn good side if we can get close to our best 22 out there IMO.

Sinclair, Thurlow, Clarke, Melican, Ronke, Fox, Bell and McLean provide pretty handy depth. Hopefully a few of the youngsters can take the next step too.

Sinclair, Thurlow, Clarke, Melican, Ronke, Fox, Bell and McLean provide pretty handy depth. Hopefully a few of the youngsters can take the next step too.

Im similar to this.

I’d have Daniher deep and Reid and Franklin high.

Blakey and Florent on the wings.

Bennell and Hewett on the bench. Hewett to rotate inside and Bennell outside.

Menzel doesn’t offer anything in that structure so I’d be preferring Bell or Wicks for that last spot. Or even Clarke as a stopper.

Im similar to this.

I’d have Daniher deep and Reid and Franklin high.

Blakey and Florent on the wings.

Bennell and Hewett on the bench. Hewett to rotate inside and Bennell outside.

Menzel doesn’t offer anything in that structure so I’d be preferring Bell or Wicks for that last spot. Or even Clarke as a stopper.
I have Menzel for his goal sense (be bloody hard to stop a forward line featuring him, Buddy, Daniher and Hayward from scoring) but wouldn't mind any of those blokes over him.

I'm hoping that we get a proper Papley replacement (i.e. Taylor/Knight) who can cover the Menzel spot, who frankly I'd be disinclined to give another contract to on this year's form.

I can’t get the image of Menzel running forward of a 3 on 1 contest out of my head. I thought that was horrible instinct.

I really did like the improvement of Wicks and Bell. Bell’s 2 games were pretty good I thought.

And who knows what Ling might bring.

a gun mid from being a contender is my first thought

I'd agree. The team we are putting together is looking really solid, still plenty of improvement to be had on every line thanks to how many young players are making spots in the 22 their own, but we need to be looking for that Kennedy replacement now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Jones, Papley
In: Daniher

Shows how good Daniher is to drag us from 15th into premiership contention on his own!

Shows how good Daniher is to drag us from 15th into premiership contention on his own!

lol

was just a first thought , defence is a concern, as is the ruck

Is anyone suggesting that he does?

Realistically we are a couple of seasons off the window opening again. If that is the sum total of all list changes in that time you would think we aren't going to be able to capitalise... but why would you think that those are the only moves we will be making in that time?

Is anyone suggesting that he does?

Realistically we are a couple of seasons off the window opening again. If that is the sum total of all list changes in that time you would think we aren't going to be able to capitalise... but why would you think that those are the only moves we will be making in that time?
Someone posted a best 22 for 2020 with the changes from 2019 that I listed (2 outs, Daniher in), so that was the list being assessed.

It is the 2020 thread after all, not the 2024 hopes and dreams thread

Someone posted a best 22 for 2020 with the changes from 2019 that I listed (2 outs, Daniher in), so that was the list being assessed.

It is the 2020 thread after all, not the 2024 hopes and dreams thread
You missed the addition of Harley Bennell and a hypothetical gun mid too. And the natural progression of the young team we have. No reason to think that if we do bring in a couple of quality mids and Daniher that this isn't a team capable of playing finals.

Our win/loss this year wasn't great, but we still had a percentage over 90. It doesn't take a whole lot to get back amongst September action from there.

Long way to go but a couple of thoughts:

Excited for the forward line of Franklin, Daniher and Reid - however I think it’s critical this is coupled with a high pressure and speed around them. I would prefer to see the types of Hayward / Butler (from Richmond maybe) / Ronke / Blakely creating the pressure to allow us to have a more forward half territory game. It’s for this reason I don’t see Menzel in our starting 22 and would prefer to not go for Taylor / Knight as they aren’t known pressure types. It’d be a shame to lose papley as this is what he provides. Feel there’s some spots available for round 1 in these positions.

Like the idea of McCartin back a lot, with Aliir and Rampe as the other key defenders. Hope melican takes the next step. Dawson floating on the half back does provide an intercept threat, we’d hope to then be able to release Mills to the midfield but with our general defender exposed depth now only Thurlow / Fox / O’riordan I don’t think we can afford to lose him. A back 7 of McCartin, Rampe, Aliir, Mills, Dawson, Lloyd and Cunningham presents a healthy balance. Can see why we targeted Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long way to go but a couple of thoughts:

Excited for the forward line of Franklin, Daniher and Reid - however I think it’s critical this is coupled with a high pressure and speed around them. I would prefer to see the types of Hayward / Butler (from Richmond maybe) / Ronke / Blakely creating the pressure to allow us to have a more forward half territory game. It’s for this reason I don’t see Menzel in our starting 22 and would prefer to not go for Taylor / Knight as they aren’t known pressure types. It’d be a shame to lose papley as this is what he provides. Feel there’s some spots available for round 1 in these positions.

Like the idea of McCartin back a lot, with Aliir and Rampe as the other key defenders. Hope melican takes the next step. Dawson floating on the half back does provide an intercept threat, we’d hope to then be able to release Mills to the midfield but with our general defender exposed depth now only Thurlow / Fox / O’riordan I don’t think we can afford to lose him. A back 7 of McCartin, Rampe, Aliir, Mills, Dawson, Lloyd and Cunningham presents a healthy balance. Can see why we targeted Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t rate Papley’s pressure at all. He was good at it in his debut season but in the years since not so much. I base this on my observation but his stats in tackles inside 50 and overall and pressure acts also back this up. His absence won’t make a difference to our forward pressure, or lack thereof.

What he is good at is kicking goals, and lots of them, but I think his absence will be alleviated by Hayward, who I feel confident will become a more prolific goalkicker than Papley anyway. If Ronke can get back to basics which he excelled at in his first year then that would also be a big help. Then if one of Foot/Wicks/Hirst gets a crack at senior footy I’d back them to challenge for a spot inside 50 too. Our forward stocks are aplenty, it’s everywhere else where we’re all over the shop.

I don’t rate Papley’s pressure at all. He was good at it in his debut season but in the years since not so much. I base this on my observation but his stats in tackles inside 50 and overall and pressure acts also back this up. His absence won’t make a difference to our forward pressure, or lack thereof.

What he is good at is kicking goals, and lots of them, but I think his absence will be alleviated by Hayward, who I feel confident will become a more prolific goalkicker than Papley anyway. If Ronke can get back to basics which he excelled at in his first year then that would also be a big help. Then if one of Foot/Wicks/Hirst gets a crack at senior footy I’d back them to challenge for a spot inside 50 too. Our forward stocks are aplenty, it’s everywhere else where we’re all over the shop.

1570499805320.png

Hayward v Papley.

Hayward did just miss nearly half a season because of injuries, and played with his hip injury the whole season. A fit Hayward would be more prolific than Papley. He was the youngest player since Buddy to kick 50 goals, Papley wasn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back