Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Max List is 47.

Here is the part of the CBA that is relevent

Player Lists – 2018 - 2022
(a) Each AFL Club shall maintain their Lists during the Term as follows:

1. (i) The number of Players on the Club’s Primary List shall be not more than 40 and not less than 38;
  2. (ii) The number of Players on the Club’s Category A Rookie List shall be not more than 6 provided that a Club must not have more than 44 Players on their Primary List and Category A Rookie List at any time;
  3. (iii) The number of Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List shall be not more than 3.
(b) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player in excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, 41+ choice selection shall be included in the relevant AFL Club’s Total Player Payments. For the avoidance of doubt, the minimum base payment payable to a 1st year, 41+ choice selection shall be excluded in the relevant AFL Club’s Total Player Payments for each Rookie Player.
(c) Players included on a Category A Rookie List shall be eligible for selection in a Match from 1 November 2017 notwithstanding any contrary provision in this Agreement or the AFL Rules. Prior to 31 October 2017, AFL shall make all necessary amendments to the AFL Rules so that they shall provide for a Player on a Category A Rookie List to be eligible for selection in any Match played after 1 November 2017.
Sorry.. my mistake.. I didn't account for the long term injury factor - Tucker, Mailbaum
including those two, we had 39 on the seniors list and 9 on the rookie list
Question remains.. How do we fill the remains 6 spots?
P5. p25, p32, p44
Bennel
Menzal, Wicks, Mailbaum, Pink, Hirst
other new rookies

Sorry.. my mistake.. I didn't account for the long term injury factor - Tucker, Mailbaum
including those two, we had 39 on the seniors list and 9 on the rookie list
Question remains.. How do we fill the remains 6 spots?
P5. p25, p32, p44
Bennel
Menzal, Wicks, Mailbaum, Pink, Hirst
other new rookies
I reckon Menzel, Maibaum and Pink will be delisted.

I reckon Menzel, Maibaum and Pink will be delisted.
Im thinking maybe
we'll keep the best of Maibaum or Pink
we'll keep the best of Wicks or Hirst
Menzal gets delisted
If we know Bennel is coming, we'll take 3 picks to the draft - either swap p32 + p44 for p22, or, trade 32 or 44 for a future pick
If Bennel isn't coming we'll take 4 picks to the draft

the bummer about this outcome is we dont get to Rookie any new academy kids

We might.. take 4 draft picks
Bennel
1 academy kid as a rookie

delist all unsigned current players

Of the unsigned I am keen on upgrading Wicks and keeping Maibaum if he has recovered from the ACL. I hope McLean is trialled as a KPD and see Maibaum as a back-up. I have zero hope for Melican.

Rampe melican O'Riordan
Loyd Aliir Cunningham
Mills Parker Dawson
Naismith Kennedy Hewett
Heeney Reid Blakey
Papley Franklin Hayward

IC Florent Sinclair Rowbottom Taylor

I hope Ling has a good year and one of our draftees does good. I can't find a place for McCartin McClean but the are always plenty of injuries and I expect both with play a dozen or more games. Melican is looking like he has the most pressure on his spot. McLean or Maibum both look solid Key back prospects to me.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kennedy and Hewett are both probably 1 or 2 seasons the wrong side of ideal.

I think a fit Buddy puts us in the 8 because he's actually just that good.

Hewett is still a young fella

Jpk will decline even more this season

Buddy is 33 with soft tissues going into 2020

Will hardly have any A graders

Yeah Hewett and JPK is the line that looks weakest to me. That and melican/O'Riordan. Mills will probably play back again which saddens me but whatever.

Buddy has been super durable through most of his career. Hope it's an aberration but there is no gaurentees of course. I think if he gets a good run of health we make finals though. But if he is off and on then we will lack the goals to get higher than your range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While i dont believe we will make the 8 in 2020 on the flipside is this.

Round 8 Sydney v Essendon 5pts
Round 9 North Melbourne v Sydney 5pts
Round 10 Sydney v Collingwood 7pts
Round 16 Essendon v Sydney 10pts
Round 17 Sydney v Carlton 7pts
Round 18 Fremantle v Sydney 1pt
Round 19 GWS v Sydney 2pts

Thats 5 losses under 10 points couple of those results go our way and we will be playing finals this year.

You know you have problems when melican is your best kd and still so heavenly reliant still on Kennedy and Buddy who both could be finished by seasons end

Unbalanced af

Be lucky to have 3 A graders on the list which is more depressing
Cheer up mate.
You know how it works.
A good year with injuries we’re 6-8.
A so-so year we’re 8-12.
Another bad year and we’re 13-15.

We can’t have an elite list all the time. There’s a lot to like about our youngsters.
Enjoy the development.

Heres a crack at where our list is as right now.. we're still 5 months away (and a few operations, player movements and a pre-season) from round one, so none of this is set in stone.. more of a starting point.

Forwards
Buddy, Reid, Papley, Ronke, Haywood, Heeney
Mids
Naismith, Parker, Kennedy, Hewitt, Florent, Blakey
Def
Rampe, Allirr, Mills, Lloyd , Dawson, Melican
Int
Cunningham, Rowbottom, McCartin, O'Riordan

Soo.. from the forwards.. Heeney and Paps (Ronke at a stretch) can play through the mids. Reid can play as 2nd ruck and also as a spare in defence
....... from the mids.. Parker, Kennedy, Blakey can all play up forward
....... from defence.. Mills and Lloyd? can play through the midfield, Dawson can play mid and forward, Allirr can pinch hit in the ruck
....... the interchange includes inside & outside mids, forwards and defenders.
Quite well balanced?

Reserves that have experience or proven ability at AFL level..
Sinclare, McLean, Clarke, Fox

Second tier reserves - need to (or likely to) develop, or need to step up for senior selection
McInerny, Stoddart, Foot, Ling, Bell, Thurlow, Amartey, Knoll, Reynolds

New..
Lewis Taylor, Irish fella (193cm, can't remember his name)
P5, p25, p32, p44

No contract..
Menzal, Wicks, Mailbaum, Pink, Hirst.

This equals 41 players on our list, 8 spots remaining.
The development of a few of the second tier reserves + Taylor + p5, means theres a solid 30+ players who'll play seniors this year.
Do we take 4 picks to the draft or trade p32 + p44 for (freos) p22 and take three picks to the draft?
Do we recruit Bennel?
Who do we re-contract?
Do we fill all the remainder rookie spots now or save space for the pre-season draft?

Where do we finish in 2020?
Where do we finish in 2021??

Wicks has signed another 12mth cat b contract

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Daniher would have been great to prolong buddy,

free up mccartin to go back where we lack real depth

and chop out ruck where we lack depth

Sinclair is solid, naismith is not what everyone here thinks imo, not sure why he slots in as first ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back