Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Reid, when uninjured, is a very valuable player. He had a very good, if inconsistent, year last year. He had some great performances, kicking 6 was wonderful to watch. If he can consistently kick 3-4 goals we will be an extremely dangerous side.

If Bud can go reasonably injury free and also string together some big bags this combo will look good. I think Bud has frozen Shoulder. This is an injury that with some people, suck as myself, never heals. With Frozen Shoulder a person has pain when the arm goes in certain directions. Above the head, behind the back, to the side outstretched. I believe opposition backs target his shoulder by dragging his arm behind his back.

McCartin has had an extra year and will be far more imposing this year. He started to show how imposing he could be late last year. This year will be a breakout year fot him I think.

Blakey will play further up the ground this year I believe, even in thr mids and on a wing.

Ronke, Taylor, Hayward and the resting mids will be great foils for the big guys. I think Ronke just didn't know how to handle all the close attention he got last year. He came good toward the end. But it took him most of the year to shake off the best small defenders. If Hayward and Menzell had been there longer he might not have got the best small/ medium defender every week.

Will was injured most of last year. Again we put players on the park knowing they are injured and exacerbate the problem leading to surgery. Why not do the bloody surgery and have thrm available in the second half of the season?

I think Wicks is a smoky and Amartey is developing well. These two might find themselves in the mix next season

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most of the time.
Be interesting to see when Franklin comes back and Sinclair as another forward option. Midfield supply in theory should be a little bit better with Naismith in as well

Be interesting to see when Franklin comes back and Sinclair as another forward option. Midfield supply in theory should be a little bit better with Naismith in as well
If Naismith is rucking I would expect Sinclair to play from the goal square and Reid to be third tall. Against most teams that should work well. Good long delivery from Dawson, Cunningham and Taylor (which I would expect) could see quite a number of one on one contests.
If we go with Sinclair as a single ruck then Reid will get the second KPD.
A lot depends on how we set up.

Lose jones from top 22, but looks like the following may be added......Bennell?, Gray?, Taylor and Pick 5. Amartey (athletically talented) and McInerney (great GPS) were extended and you would think then they aren't too far off seniors. And Ling is injury plagued but was a first round pick who might step up when injury free in 2020. Rowbottom to improve further as will Blakey. Maibaum (assuming he goes to rookie list) may get a senior run and with a few years development behind him should go ok. You wonder whether McCarten might be earmarked for more time back than forward in 2020?. Then in 2021 we have Daniher.

There is a lot of doom around for future but to be honest I'm quite excited with the amount of change and half glass full perspective for 2020 and beyond

Signing Brand suggests to me two things:
1. it's not a guarantee McCartin will move to the back line
2. it's not a guarantee that Sinclair and Naismith will play in the same side

I'm thinking it indicates that Brand or Melican will get first crack at FB. Meaning McCartin, Reid and Franklin will be our talls up forward, with Reid taking the 2nd ruck duties behind Sinclair/Naismith

Rampe - Brand/Melican - Mills
Dawson - Aliir - Lloyd
Blakey - Hewett - Florent
Heeney - Franklin - Hayward
Papley - Reid - McCartin
Sinclair/Naismith - Kennedy - Parker

Rowbottom - Cunningham - Taylor - Gray

O'Riordan - Naismith/Sinclair - Ronke - Fox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Signing Brand suggests to me two things:
1. it's not a guarantee McCartin will move to the back line
2. it's not a guarantee that Sinclair and Naismith will play in the same side

I'm thinking it indicates that Brand or Melican will get first crack at FB. Meaning McCartin, Reid and Franklin will be our talls up forward, with Reid taking the 2nd ruck duties behind Sinclair/Naismith

Rampe - Brand/Melican - Mills
Dawson - Aliir - Lloyd
Blakey - Hewett - Florent
Heeney - Franklin - Hayward
Papley - Reid - McCartin
Sinclair/Naismith - Kennedy - Parker

Rowbottom - Cunningham - Taylor - Gray

O'Riordan - Naismith/Sinclair - Ronke - Fox
Agreed, can't see Sinkers and Naismith in the same side not accounting for injuries

Going to be a huge preseason for a lot of players, which is a damned good thing.
Who are likely to be walk-up starts in our best 22? Starting from the back:
Mills, Aliir, Lloyd, Rampe, Dawson
From the middle: One of Sinclair/Naismith, Kennedy, Parker, Heeney
Up front: Buddy, Reid, McCartin, Papley, Blakey
Very arguable of course. Fourteen. Not necessarily in those positions. The rest will be fighting for 8 spots.
Down back: Melican, O'Riordan, Brand, Stoddart
Middle: Florent, Rowbottom, Taylor, Gray, Bell? Draftee? McInerney?
Front: Sinclair, McLean, Ronke, Wicks, Draftee?
No doubt I've missed someone.
Shuffle the pieces but we won't know before the preseason games.

Our best 22 according to this expert. If we ignore hype and look at what the players actually produce or will produce in years to come when we are next in the premiership window.

B: Rampe Allir Mills
HB: Dawson Mccartin Lloyd
C: Blakey Parker Taylor
HF: Hayward Franklin Reid
F: Papely Sinclair (SOMEONE)
R: Naismith Heeney Rowbottom
INT: Kennedy (very slow) Cunningham (c grader on a good day), Hewett (slow), (SOMEONE)

Fringe 22: Florent (cant kick, like horrifically bad kicking efficiency, has to be inside grunt clearance player or nothing), Ronke (forgotten what AFL footballing looks like), COR (shown late season glimpses).

Regarding the (SOMEONES) to be honest I'd play Ling sight unseen off the interchange/back pocket, we know what the rest produces and it is C grade on a good day or Thurlow/Clarke/Bell D grade on a good day. If Ling is fit have to get games into him. Also have to play our PICK 5 mid to get games into them. Its time to bite the bullet and understand that 2020 we are no chance at a premiership and its a development year. Florent if inside mid relief and not wing or half forward.

Will our coaches have the guts to move Kennedy/Parker/Hewett to forward line as we get cut to pieces in our mids, can we hide Kennedy/Hewett there in the forwards as games are won by locking it in inside f50? I dont think we should have Hewett/Kennedy/Parker playing identical roles in the same side.

Anyways these are my ramblings, think we need to understand 2020 will be the last year we see Kennedy and I think he's probably playing 1 year too many anyway but is contracted, expecting him to fall off the cliff quickly.

My post DFA signings best 22. Looks like the coaches didn't know who to pick either for match days ;)
B: Rampe Brand Mills
HB: Dawson Allir Lloyd
HF: Heeney Franklin Reid
F: Papely Sinclair Gray
R: Naismith Kennedy Rowbottom
INT: Hayward, Cunningham, Hewett, Florent

Only question now is do we go with one ruck or two. If one Mccartin plays, if two Mccartin misses until injuries occur and he comes in. What do you reckon, I see a lot more run in our side for 2020, we could break even in wins and losses (perhaps I have rose coloured glasses on).

My post DFA signings best 22. Looks like the coaches didn't know who to pick either for match days ;)

Only question now is do we go with one ruck or two. If one Mccartin plays, if two Mccartin misses until injuries occur and he comes in. What do you reckon, I see a lot more run in our side for 2020, we could break even in wins and losses (perhaps I have rose coloured glasses on).
Real competition for attacking tall spots! I also prefer to have Sinclair as FF and second ruck, that's what we originally planned for him. I will be surprised if Horse sends McCartin back to the twos. Something of a favourite son. Not sure how he could resolve that.
Hope he doesn't play Dawson at HBF as his delivery inside 50, along with Harry's, is our best.
Reckon he'll rotate Papley, Grey and Taylor as outside mids and forward pocket, Cunningham as a HBF and Florent and Hewett as an inside mid.
Hayward and Heeney as marking HFFs gets me pretty excited.

Real competition for attacking tall spots! I also prefer to have Sinclair as FF and second ruck, that's what we originally planned for him. I will be surprised if Horse sends McCartin back to the twos. Something of a favourite son. Not sure how he could resolve that.
Hope he doesn't play Dawson at HBF as his delivery inside 50, along with Harry's, is our best.
Reckon he'll rotate Papley, Grey and Taylor as outside mids and forward pocket, Cunningham as a HBF and Florent and Hewett as an inside mid.
Hayward and Heeney as marking HFFs gets me pretty excited.
The way Mccartin can get games if they go two talls would be swappibg on the wing with Blakey. Mccartin's gps game numbers are huge and hes just about our highest distance runner per game.

A lot of positivity on BF now. And all because of two DFA's (guys that weren't good enough at their old clubs). Shows how close we were before.
And.. theres still a chance of getting Bennell.. and we've got the draft to look forward to :)

Im guessing.. Blakey drifts between forward and wing.. and.. Dawson drifts between half back and wing. Both excellent at delivering the ball inside 50. (Rampe, Dawson, Blakey, Buddy - all 1st class left foot kicks).
Hoping McCartin plays forward.
Thinking Reid plays as the 2nd tall and 2nd ruck. Sinclare is out at the moment, but will get a chance.

Looking forward to watching the development of Ling, McInerney, McLean, Foot, Bell and the Draftees

This is a competitive side.

The issue is if we get injuries we start to drop off pretty quickly.

A dream injury run like the Lions had makes a big difference.

We aren't competing for a flag in the next year or two so I feel we can take a risk on young talent like Kemp and Taylor who have big upsides in 3-4 years.

We already have Dawson and Rowbottom who are now genuine quality AFL players. And Blakey could be fricken anything...

Last edited:
A lot of positivity on BF now. And all because of two DFA's (guys that weren't good enough at their old clubs). Shows how close we were before.

I think it just shows how much this place overreacts to any news, good or bad.

I think it just shows how much this place overreacts to any news, good or bad.
Probably also because those guys fill needs we have on the list I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back