Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Last edited:

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
The weird thing is every year we create a best 22 and it is really tough to do so, with a heap of players that probably should be in the team missing out and we all get excited by our amazing depth.

Then come round 12, a lot of us are wondering who we can bring into the team as our team is performing badly and we don't have anyone to replace the worst offenders.
We beat West Coast in round 12 this year. Arguably our best game of the year. So you if you were wondering who to bring after that game fair enough.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Rampe McCartin Mills
Dawson Aliir Lloyd
Florent Kennedy Blakey
Heeney Reid Hayward
Franklin Sinclair Papley
Naismith Parker Hewett

Rowbottom Cunningham ............

Fighting for 2 spots are a shitload of players.
I'm pretty confident that Stephens and Gould will be regulars next season. Don't ask me who they will replace though.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm pretty confident that Stephens and Gould will be regulars next season. Don't ask me who they will replace though.
I think they'll both get a bit if a run in NEAFL first. Like Rowbottom last year when he was absolutely tearing it up. Learn the systems, get to know each other, the coaches get to know you in match conditions. Get some match fitness.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel like Stephens might take until his 3rd season to get his body and confidence up fully.

He says his favorite player is Josh Kelly. Kelly was serviceable in his first two years but didnt really become a gun until his 3rd season.

Look if your folks didn't teach you why it's good to be kind I don't know if there is anything a footy forum can do to change that.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

why does a post on here about players need to be "nice"or indifferent, its irrelevant

nothing scandelous being said , merely this player is not up to it, still better than most in the country, highly paid professional athelete, dont need to be "nice" too precious here

I feel like Stephens might take until his 3rd season to get his body and confidence up fully.

He says his favorite player is Josh Kelly. Kelly was serviceable in his first two years but didnt really become a gun until his 3rd season.
Already been very good at senior SANFL level against men so don't think he'll take too long to aclimatise, ready for R1 along with the trimmed down Gould!

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Loving our under 25 talent/best 22:

1. Heeney
  2. Hewett
  3. Paps*
  4. Mills
  5. Dawson
  6. Florent
  7. Hayward
  8. McCartin
  9. Blakey
  10. Rowbottom
  11. Stephens
  12. Gould
  13. E Taylor
  14. L Taylor
  15. Ronke
  16. Clarke
  17. Mclean
  18. Melican
  19. Co'R
  20. Bell
  21. Stoddart
  22. Warner
i know players aged 25 should maybe be reaching their peak but who here has potential to be an A grader? Interesting to hear people’s opinions on this!

Personally, I believe Heeney Paps and Dawson will get several AA awards sooner rather than later and Blakey COR and Rowbottom will have major breakthrough years this year! I don’t know much about our new recruits but Beatson is such a brilliant recruiter, I’m sure a few of them will reach that A standard!

All said, it’s a bright future for the swans! 🔴⚪

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Heeney Mills Paps Blakey Dawson Hayward all potential to be in the top handful of players for Thier positions in the competition.
i know players aged 25 should maybe be reaching their peak but who here has potential to be an A grader? Interesting to hear people’s opinions on this!

Personally, I believe Heeney Paps and Dawson will get several AA awards sooner rather than later and Blakey COR and Rowbottom will have major breakthrough years this year! I don’t know much about our new recruits but Beatson is such a brilliant recruiter, I’m sure a few of them will reach that A standard!

All said, it’s a bright future for the swans!

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
A grader is a pretty loose term, but I often think of it as someone who has the capacity to compete for multiple AA's and is still at that top level. So they're still in the very top group of their position and have been doing it for more than just one year.

So based on that I'd go with only Rampe and Franklin. Bud struggled with injuries this year but he was captain of AA in 2018 and when he's fit, he's still excellent. Rampe is pretty self-explanatory, he's just about at the top of his game.

I'd have Parker just outside of the A grader bracket, but he's close. Kennedy isn't there anymore imo, as much as it pains me to say it.

Aliir, Dawson, Mills, Papley and Heeney have the potential to be there in their respective positions but are not certainties to get there and aren't there yet.

Dawson is a great piece for any team but don't really see him being an AA level player. Especially when the AA team ignore Sydney defenders.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Dawson is a great piece for any team but don't really see him being an AA level player. Especially when the AA team ignore Sydney defenders.
with a little luck, in a couple of years when back 6 has been worked out, Dawson will play as a high half forward and kick 40+.. and plenty of goal assists, contested marks, tackles .. and hardly any behinds
Hard to leave him out of the AA then

Back