Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

In Hayward's case I hope it was more a side effect of his hip injury and not feeling comfortable in his action. Hopefully now that he has had both hips attended to we will see the best of Will in 2020. I think my memory of Heeney butchering some set shots from dead in front probably affected my thinking.

In Hayward's case I hope it was more a side effect of his hip injury and not feeling comfortable in his action. Hopefully now that he has had both hips attended to we will see the best of Will in 2020. I think my memory of Heeney butchering some set shots from dead in front probably affected my thinking.

Oh absolutely. The howlers are the ones you remember.

It’s a bit like Sam Reid who has kicked at 63% since 2012 but often gets labeled as a poor kick at goal (2011 he kicked 22.26). Is known for the odd howler though!

Oh absolutely. The howlers are the ones you remember.

It’s a bit like Sam Reid who has kicked at 63% since 2012 but often gets labeled as a poor kick at goal (2011 he kicked 22.26). Is known for the odd howler though!
Yep.. Reid gets a bad wrap.. Good to remember he kicked 6 straight and the Pies and two games later kicked 3 straight against the Eagles.

Really not sure where Kennedy fits in the team these days. He's still one of our best inside mid but it's important to play others there more and more. Think if we play him on the 50arcn similar to how O'Keefe used to play would be his best spot
O'Keefe did the opposite. Started as a half forward flanker and finished on the ball. I can't see Kennedy getting moved out of the middle. In a poor year he was still one of the top clearance players. You can still blood young players around him and he'd be a great role model and teacher.

You can still blood young players around him and he'd be a great role model and teacher.
Absolutely.. get those young guys around him. He knows all the tricks, has an incredible work rate etc etc etc.. hes been one of, if not the best contested ball winners for 10 years. He Is a great role model and teacher.. and hes Captain

Yep.. Reid gets a bad wrap.. Good to remember he kicked 6 straight and the Pies and two games later kicked 3 straight against the Eagles.
Reid was actually one of the most accurate difficulty-adjusted kicks in the comp this year.

Behind only Ablett, AMT, Jamie Cripps and Hawkins when this was written in late July and he held his accuracy for the rest of the year, kicking over 6 goals more than the average player would be expected to from his chances.

Last edited:
Reid was actually one of the most accurate difficulty-adjusted kicks in the comp this year.

Behind only Ablett, AMT, Jamie Cripps and Hawkins when this was written in late July and he held his accuracy for the rest of the year, kicking over 6 goals more than the average player would be expected to from his chances.
That won't be a very popular stat around here! There are many on here who just love to sink the boot unfairly (in my opinion) into poor old Sammy.

The Plugger influence

O'Keefe did the opposite. Started as a half forward flanker and finished on the ball. I can't see Kennedy getting moved out of the middle. In a poor year he was still one of the top clearance players. You can still blood young players around him and he'd be a great role model and teacher.

Someone like Rowbottom may share some duties with JPK this season, whether that means JPK resting forward a bit more who knows.

Someone like Rowbottom may share some duties with JPK this season, whether that means JPK resting forward a bit more who knows.
Yes you are probably right. I think with Gould being drafted there will be a more proactive move to get Mills into the mids. Heeney will also be fit, no injuries hopefully, so will probably spend more time there too. Grey and Taylor will also help.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very possible. Rowbottom looks really good working in traffic and I'm hoping Hewett and him are our future inside mid combo. Everyone seems to think JPK had a poor year but he was still ranked 10th in the league for average clearances with not much service from the ruck division. Let's see what happens if we get a legit tap ruckman back. Rumours of JPK's demise might be highly exaggerated.

Yes you are probably right. I think with Gould being drafted there will be a more proactive move to get Mills into the mids. Heeney will also be fit, no injuries hopefully, so will probably spend more time there too. Grey and Taylor will also help.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thinking through the squad there's some competition for spots again which is healthy for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very possible. Rowbottom looks really good working in traffic and I'm hoping Hewett and him are our future inside mid combo. Everyone seems to think JPK had a poor year but he was still ranked 10th in the league for average clearances with not much service from the ruck division. Let's see what happens if we get a legit tap ruckman back. Rumours of JPK's demise might be highly exaggerated.

The question really is imagine if we didn’t have Josh in the middle?

I’m pretty sure we can build a midfield around Hewett in beast mode. He is ready.

Really not sure where Kennedy fits in the team these days. He's still one of our best inside mid but it's important to play others there more and more. Think if we play him on the 50arcn similar to how O'Keefe used to play would be his best spot

He can still be in the midfield, we just have to make him less important. IMO the way to do that is simply rotations. Kennedy, Parker & Hewett attended the overwhelming majority of centre bounces this year, with guys like Heeney, Florent, Rowbottom as support acts. One of those support acts needs to become a leader in there so that Kennedy can be reduced to a supporting role. I would go Florent, only because I prefer Heeney as a forward, while Rowbottom is only entering his second year now.

Luke Parker ...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I completely forgot that we signed Kaiden Brand.
Me too. Even reading your post I was wondering if it was some in-joke I was missing haha.

Not a bad signing either as far as depth goes IMO.

Don't see a spot for either Gould or Stephens in our round one side. O'Riordan/Mills and Gray/Taylor could provide more than Gould and Stephens in their respective roles. Not keen on making our side any younger or more inexperienced than it already is. A NEAFL apprenticeship will do our draftees plenty of good.

Don't see a spot for either Gould or Stephens in our round one side. O'Riordan/Mills and Gray/Taylor could provide more than Gould and Stephens in their respective roles. Not keen on making our side any younger or more inexperienced than it already is. A NEAFL apprenticeship will do our draftees plenty of good.

Midfielders especially need to prove they can average at least 30 disposals in the NEAFL before they should even be considered for first team selection. 30 disposals for an AFL quality player in the NEAFL should not be a problem.

Midfielders especially need to prove they can average at least 30 disposals in the NEAFL before they should even be considered for first team selection. 30 disposals for an AFL quality player in the NEAFL should not be a problem.
Clarke does that and more. I think the coaches will look a lot deeper than that.
I attended the NEAFL trial at Henson last year and overheard Laids asking Perris to tell McInerney he is taking one stride too many before disposing of the ball.
Details.

Hmmmm not sure I'd go that far, especially when we're not even sure yet how Stephens will be used (ie inside or outside or both, or maybe even HBF as he starts, who knows) I think if Stephens with his run and class can impact our team, and he's showcasing that in the NEAFL, then that would be enough for me to want to see him at senior level. I just doubt anything he produces at this stage of his career will be better than what Gray or Taylor, who are both around the 100-game mark, could produce. Ditto Gould with guys like O'Riordan and Melican.

I reckon it's an interesting debate though whether it's more beneficial to a player's development to have a NEAFL apprenticeship (Mitchell, Hewett, Dawson) or just slot straight in and play senior footy from basically day one (Heeney, Mills, Hayward, Papley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back