List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a saying in stockbroking - 'don't try to catch a falling knife'
That's a saying in our house too, mainly because the wife doesn't want to have to rush me in for stitches again.

I don't know if it would be called 'twice knifed' or 'twice shy" (probably more likely 'twice bitten'), but if there are serious musings about enquiring into Jesse Hogan, does it follow that similar enquiries should be made into one C McCarthy? Even if it's only a Rookie contract?

I don't know if it would be called 'twice knifed' or 'twice shy" (probably more likely 'twice bitten'), but if there are serious musings about enquiring into Jesse Hogan, does it follow that similar enquiries should be made into one C McCarthy? Even if it's only a Rookie contract?
God no.

No

I guess the differences are:
(1) McCarthy screwed us directly; Hogan hasn't,
(2) McCarthy failed because he was lazy as much as any other issues, whereas Hogan was still in good trim throughout the season, &
(2) McCarthy was always just a third tall, a position in which we are well served. Hogan would be more of a main KPD - could relieve some burden off Riccardi and not leave him so exposed as he develops.

McCarthy is a clear no from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hogan musings are interesting. Certainly he is a better option than McDonald...

I don’t know if either of them are realistic or filling a need. I just don’t know why we are not linked to anyone in the back half... that’s the need!

Damian and Kane saying Geelong will try to get Jezza free via Free Agency. Honestly how do these dumbos remain gainfully employed.

Firstly, he’s restricted free agent so can be forced to go through a draft where there are a bunch of other teams with picks before Geelong. We can also negotiate with other clubs such as Collingwood.

Secondly this is not how Wells rolls. Yes there will be some argy bargy but he is generally a fair operator, the price is at least 2 first rounders and that is what we will get either in that setting or a player and a first.

Last edited:
The hogan musings are interesting. Certainly he is a better option than McDonald...

I don’t know if either of them are realistic or filling a need. I just don’t know why we are not linked to anyone in the back half... that’s the need!

Hogan is not an AFL footballer, he has personal issues and needs to concentrate on getting himself well so he can have a full life.

McDonald is a very good mark, I think he wants to be a forward but looks most effective as a defender. I think he’s on something like 550k so if Melbourne paid say 200k towards that then he wouldn’t be too bad as at his best he is a best 22 contributor. We do need some depth down back.

Hogan is a hard no, McDonald is deal dependent.

As a Freo supporter as well as a Giants supporter, I wouldn't do it.

So much potential that everyone knows he has, but He has hardly made it on the park over there, and when he does he then ruins it with off field discretions

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app

1603663005002.png

Indicative draft picks: 40, 46, 68, 82

Who they're after: The Giants are in damage control but still have to think about how their list is looking for next year and as AFL.com.au revealed have targeted ruckman Braydon Preuss from Melbourne. He is contracted for two more years but has nominated the Giants as his preferred new club, so a deal will need to be worked out there. They are chasing players in a trade with the Cats for Jeremy Cameron, with Brandan Parfitt in their sights, however he has a new deal lined up with the Cats.

Who's on the table: Zac Williams will head to Carlton as a free agent and Aidan Corr is off to North Melbourne under free agency rules. Jackson Hately has requested a trade to the Crows, while Jye Caldwell has asked to be traded to Essendon. Cameron's decision to leave and head to Geelong hurts the Giants most, with last year's Coleman medallist knocking back a long-term offer from the club in what shapes as a horror off-season for the Giants.

Who's in limbo: Second-year midfielder Xavier O'Halloran is also weighing up his future after seeing members of his draft class – Caldwell and Hately – already choose to depart. Zac Langdon is another who has been searching for more opportunities elsewhere and is headed to West Coast, while Shane Mumford has put off retirement again and is expected to return as a ruck back-up.

Who's already gone: Sam Jacobs, Heath Shaw, Tom Sheridan

Dream trade period: There is no dream outcome here. The only possibility for the Giants is mitigating the pain slightly, which will come with strong compensation picks for Williams and Corr. Caldwell will attract an early pick but Hately is likely to be a later selection, while all eyes will be on what they can get for Cameron, who, at 27, is in the prime of his career. At the very least the Giants will have a very, very good draft hand that could see them package up some picks and move right up the order. They've done that before. The Giants are keen to get players back in return for some of theirs. – Callum Twomey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back