List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The club has been taking a risk in recent years in selecting non WA talents.

Recently we have drafted Sturt, Brayshaw, Cerra, Young and Serong. All top line talent and all flight risks by dint of being Victorian.

I hope we keep them all but I would be staggered if we did not lose at least one of them over the next couple of years.

One has to be realistic.

Surely it's better to take the best available player and risk that they may go home than to reach for a WA player and end up with a Connor Blakely type.

He might have without Lyon favouring Fyfe.

In 2016 Lachie Neale had 737 disposals at Freo and wasn't picked in the All Australian team. This year he had 511 disposals and won the Brownlow.

Even when Fyfe was injured Neale was seen as a B grader by many during his time at Fremantle.

In 2016 Lachie Neale had 737 disposals at Freo and wasn't picked in the All Australian team. This year he had 511 disposals and won the Brownlow.

Even when Fyfe was injured Neale was seen as a B grader by many during his time at Fremantle.
I edited my post. He is still good enough to win a brownlow he doesn't become less of a player because he might not win it with Fyfe in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, he's another player who came equal third in the club's B&F in just his third year. That says he's going more than a little ok as far as his development goes.
No on is arguing that he hasn't developed. The point is we would like him to be worth a top 5 pick if he does leave and doubtless he would like 900k no matter where he is.

No one should be offering him these on the basis of 6 career Brownlow votes (just 3 in the last two years), 15 touches and 1.4 clearances a game.

Obviously development curves are different for different players. Judd at one end of scale, Gary Ablett jnr at the other, most inbetween: I thinks it's fair to say that unless Cerra is on the Ablett style curve we're heading for a A minus B plus sort of player rather than a superstar. For every Ablett there are 10 Stephen Hill's.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

Because people change their minds.
Exactly, he said he didn’t want to come to Freo then changed his mind and decided to stay another two years, to me that makes him less of a risk than Serong or Young. Quoting something he said over 3 years ago before he was drafted is irrelevant. I’d be more concerned if his partner declared it was time to start a family, the lure of grandparents helping with a new born far outweighs anything he said as an 18yo.

The most significant factor in player retention is culture. Look at what Stewart Dew has managed to do at GC, they are finally getting elite talent to stick with it as opposed to GWS which is a revolving door.

Every single report I've read of the club since Longmuir took over suggests our young group are really tight and all believe we are building towards success. Cerra is a central part of that culture with Brayshaw.

Is it "Lyon favouring Fyfe"? Or just Fyfe being the best player in the competition? I mean, who would you select as your premium mid - Fyfe or Neale?
Well as far as always having Fyfe the number 1 hit to mid yes and using Mundy forward instead of Fyfe, this year we saw Mundy in the middle and Fyfe forward so you tell me?

No on is arguing that he hasn't developed. The point is we would like him to be worth a top 5 pick if he does leave and doubtless he would like 900k no matter where he is.

No one should be offering him these on the basis of 6 career Brownlow votes (just 3 in the last two years), 15 touches and 1.4 clearances a game.

Obviously development curves are different for different players. Judd at one end of scale, Gary Ablett jnr at the other, most inbetween: I thinks it's fair to say that unless Cerra is on the Ablett style curve we're heading for a A minus B plus sort of player rather than a superstar. For every Ablett there are 10 Stephen Hill's.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong.
The evidence suggests he's ahead of the normal development curve. It's not really the average standard to put together a top 3 B&F season for the vast majority of 3rd-year players. Likewise, you don't get to be top 5 in the B&F without a reasonable amount of consistency. Brownlow votes can often be a matter of recognition, particularly for players earlier in their careers, so using them as a standard may not be all that reliable.

Well as far as always having Fyfe the number 1 hit to mid yes and using Mundy forward instead of Fyfe, this year we saw Mundy in the middle and Fyfe forward so you tell me?
There's a bit of shifting the goal posts and placing a straw man in between them. Who's said Fyfe is/was "always" the no. 1 goto? In 2015 he'd hoover everything because he could and only injury and dubious tactics slowed him down slightly. But if I had to pick a mid to play for my life between Fyfe and Neale, Fyfe is an easy choice.

Yeah I'm sure there are stats that could be quoted ad nauseum by either side of the argument to justify why Cerra is and is not going to be an A grader.
I suggest just using your eyes. He's going to be elite. It's like all the nuffies over the years quoting possession numbers as an argument against Cyril Rioli being considered elite. Use your eyes people.

Yeah I'm sure there are stats that could be quoted ad nauseum by either side of the argument to justify why Cerra is and is not going to be an A grader.
I suggest just using your eyes. He's going to be elite. It's like all the nuffies over the years quoting possession numbers as an argument against Cyril Rioli being considered elite. Use your eyes people.
TBF the "use your eyes" argument is just another way of saying "see it my way".

There's a bit of shifting the goal posts and placing a straw man in between them. Who's said Fyfe is/was "always" the no. 1 goto? In 2015 he'd hoover everything because he could and only injury and dubious tactics slowed him down slightly. But if I had to pick a mid to play for my life between Fyfe and Neale, Fyfe is an easy choice.
Sounds like your the one shifting goal posts for distraction by throwing out that one liner without any examples at least I provided some vague reason such as Mundy forward and Fyfe mid and now that JLo is coach it's Fyfe forward and Mundy mid.
But yeah Fyfe is a beast the real question was if you had to picka mid to play for your life of Neale and Serong who would it be?

Sounds like your the one shifting goal posts for distraction by throwing out that one liner without any examples at least I provided some vague reason such as Mundy forward and Fyfe mid and now that JLo is coach it's Fyfe forward and Mundy mid.
But yeah Fyfe is a beast the real question was if you had to picka mid to play for your life of Neale and Serong who would it be?
Mundy played forward when we had no talls to play there, also no mids that weren't either tadpoles or soon to be delisted. If we had another elite mid like Neale then maybe Fyfe would have played foward, I expect they both would have played on ball still.

If we are playing in a prelim final, I expect Fyfe and Mundy to play almost the entire game in the middle because we win more when they do.

As a side note, Gold Coast reluctantly traded us #2 because they didn't think they could retain any of the top six players in the draft long term. The player we picked is signed to the club for another five seasons after having played three.

In other news...

The AFL has just extended their broadcast agreement for two more seasons, there is more money coming in in these two new years than there was in the two years before covid.

Expect the salary cap to rise after this season. Lock in players long term now and their contracts will be worth less as a % by the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back