Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
This Part 2

Continued from Part 1: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2020-list-management-free-agency-trade-thread.1241035/

What type of players does our list need?

Pace, Skill, Class and and goal threat. A winger, forward flank and forward pocket are the 3 positions that we need, plus more good midfielders (ideally with speed as we are a bit one paced).

Which players do you want to target?

Collingwood have very good depth and a tight salary cap. Brody Mihocek, de Goey would be great.

Which players should get a new contract, wait and see, be traded or delisted?

Here are the out of contract players. Valente is only one I would be offering a contract to at the moment. The rest I would wait and see how they go.

Name Years Service Status
Bailey Banfield 3 Non-Free Agent
Brandon Matera 3 Non-Free Agent
Brennan Cox 4 Non-Free Agent
Brett Bewley 2 Non-Free Agent
Cameron McCarthy 4 Non-Free Agent
David Mundy 17 Unrestricted Free Agent
Dillon O'Reilly 2 Non-Free Agent
Hugh Dixon 3 Non-Free Agent
Isaiah Butters 1 Non-Free Agent
Jarvis Pina 1 Non-Free Agent
Jason Carter 2 Non-Free Agent
Lachlan Schultz 2 Non-Free Agent
Luke Valente 2 Non-Free Agent
Thomas North 1 Non-Free Agent
Tobe Watson 2 Non-Free Agent

Last edited by a moderator:

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Where would Pav play in today’s game? Anywhere
If he was drafted this year by Freo they would call him a big-bodied mid like Reef and he would dominate at it until moved forward late in his career after he had already won three flags with this current crop.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The talk is that with all of their concessions GCSs may not take this year’s second round pick to the draft. Both of our club’s would be optimistic about 2021. I wonder if a potential trade could be;

Fremantle;
OUT; 2021 1st and 2nd round
IN; GCSs 2021 1st, 3rd and 2020 2nd round

They shift this year’s 2nd into next year with a likely minor downgrade of their 1st round and a third rounder which they also may not use.

We gain a pick likely to be ahead of our NGA selections this year.

Too mucky?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
If he was drafted this year by Freo they would call him a big-bodied mid like Reef and he would dominate at it until moved forward late in his career after he had already won three flags with this current crop.
Pav defined the big bodied midfielder. Made a lot of people/clubs realising the potential of 190cm+ 100kg+ athetlic types. Wasn’t many around if any of Pavlich’s build when he debuted. Maybe Kouta. Goodes and Pav led the way.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I remember one of ruckmen in the relatively modern era as Daniel Gilmore who was/is 191 cm tall.
THE Daniel Gilmore? Leader of our Dumb-Arse Brigade of the mid-‘noughties’?

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Interesting.

Also, Anthony Morobito is still only 29 years old - 6 years younger than David Mundy.
Same age / same draft as Fyfe. What coulda been...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stephen Michael was 188cm, but he had a fair leap
True - a huge leap (and much, much love from me I might add). But 188cm against Sandi, NicNat, Grundy, Max Gawn? No matter how big the leap he’d get beaten every time. And probably give away many frees for jumping into his opponent.
I could imagine him as a James Hird type player, but even Hird is now a player of a bygone era.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
True - a huge leap (and much, much love from me I might add). But 188cm against Sandi, NicNat, Grundy, Max Gawn? No matter how big the leap he’d get beaten every time. And probably give away many frees for jumping into his opponent.
haha - Sandi does not get a free kick :)

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Is there enough good will after the Weller trade for them to do anything that might benefit us in any way? I reckon not.

Is there bad will after the Weller trade? He had a big year and seems 100% committed, is well on track to be a win-win deal considering Gold Coast's need for players who want to help build the club.

Last edited:

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love to do this but I can’t see third round picks having appeal for them.
2nd round alone is too high price.

Would expect to get something back from GCS, either:
Carlton’ 3rd round pick; or
Essendon’s 4th round + GCS 4th round

I do like Joao’s thinking though. We could then try the following trade with Collingwood:
C0D16B98-2601-4D50-9DAD-4B805F16FDAF.jpeg

Go to the draft with 12, 16, 55, 56, 63, 65

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
2nd round alone is too high price.

Would expect to get something back from GCS, either:
Carlton’ 3rd round pick; or
Essendon’s 4th round + GCS 4th round

I do like Joao’s thinking though. We could then try the following trade with Collingwood:
View attachment 1020813
Go to the draft with 12, 16, 55, 56, 63, 65

I can’t see Collingwood trading picks 14 and 16 until the draft tbh.

The only trade that kind of makes sense is moving pick 14 back to pick 15 if they expect a bid for McIness comes around the 10-12 mark. Pick 15 is still easily enough to cover it, whilst the later pick/s Collingwood could get from GWS would allow them to cover the extra list spots, which they have a lot of.

Thing is Collingwood’s preference is probably using picks 14 and 16, matching a bid for McIness and filling the remaining list spots with late draft picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back