List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Lookin at his 1st season, 2017. Played 13 games and kicked only 4 goals. I assumed he played both ends
Nah his goal kicking was really bad first year forward then next year he improved dramatically. played 10 games for 4 goals 11 behinds.
Never played defence.

Producer for SEN.

Sounds credible enough but saying the re-signings is on today’s to do list isn’t really saying they’ll be announced any time soon.

Nice to know the actual context. The way the previous poster made it sound was they’d be announced later that day. It could still be rather soon but it could also be ages.

Nah his goal kicking was really bad first year forward then next year he improved dramatically. played 10 games for 4 goals 11 behinds.
Never played defence.
Correct and he played a fair bit as back-up the ruck but not backline. I remember that game against Geelong at Skilled where he was involved in that final push with a long sweeping handball to Weller on the wing who then gave Walters a final look at winning the game but missed his chance.

Lookin at his 1st season, 2017. Played 13 games and kicked only 4 goals. I assumed he played both ends
Never played defence.
I can’t remember him playing back until this season, he had a few rebound 50 stats in 2017, but I think that is whilst back up rucking as he had a few hit outs.
He was introduced as a forward to the Freo fans when recruited, as Cesoir pointed out & I remember having trouble convincing some that he’d make a good defender when Hamling went down as he had played there at the u18 champs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Cox as forward vs defender discussion.

Does anyone else think that it is surprising Ryan played on the number 1 oposition forward when Hambling and Pearce were out. He is small for the role and with out question better played as an intercept rebounding role, typically the third tall or floating defender. Whilst Cox who is about 10 cm taller never went to the talest forward. Just saying that perhpas Cox's performance as a defender should be taken with a pinch of salt.

So obviously a forward, right? Well he didn't play early games when we only had Tabs and Lobb forward. His mark numbers look ok as does his score production perhaps the Freo decisions makers don't like his 50% conversion rate (Tabs is +65%). Either way the new look freo didn't send him forward. Just saying it's not a glowing endorsement of his forward credentials.

Perhaps it's an effort to round out the player? Not playing in the bigs when you're in lockdown and there are no b-grade matches is not "rounding" anything out. At best you can say he is still developing. Forward looks promising but a production of 1.5 scores per game is low particularly with a 50% CR. A forward who can't average more than 1 goal a game gets dropped / delisted / traded (Ballentyne, Matera, Hogan, Mayne). The rule is ruthless.

Does anyone else think that it is surprising Ryan played on the number 1 oposition forward when Hambling and Pearce were out. He is small for the role and with out question better played as an intercept rebounding role, typically the third tall or floating defender. Whilst Cox who is about 10 cm taller never went to the talest forward. Just saying that perhpas Cox's performance as a defender should be taken with a pinch of salt.

So obviously a forward, right? Well he didn't play early games when we only had Tabs and Lobb forward. His mark numbers look ok as does his score production perhaps the Freo decisions makers don't like his 50% conversion rate (Tabs is +65%). Either way the new look freo didn't send him forward. Just saying it's not a glowing endorsement of his forward credentials.

Perhaps it's an effort to round out the player? Not playing in the bigs when you're in lockdown and there are no b-grade matches is not "rounding" anything out. At best you can say he is still developing. Forward looks promising but a production of 1.5 scores per game is low particularly with a 50% CR. A forward who can't average more than 1 goal a game gets dropped / delisted / traded (Ballentyne, Matera, Hogan, Mayne). The rule is ruthless.
Pretty sure Cox played every game he was available this year. He picked up a hip injury in rd 3 I think it was.

Strange recollection of who he played on. Ryan had to play out of his height division, but Cox was given the tallest forward more often than not. Sometimes teams had twin towers (e.g. Marshall/Dixon, or Bruce/Naughton), so it was a toss of the coin.

I suggest you look at the fanfooty player logs and hover the symbol in the "news" column. For example, Cox took Lynch/Kennedy/McKay/O'Brien and Ryan took Riewoldt/Darling/Casboult/Gunston.

He played a couple and he was awful.

Yep he did. First two games in 2017 IIRC before he was swung forward for the majority of the rest of the season. The general criticism was he was slow off the mark to spoil and lacked strength, all the sort of deficits you might expect of a 18yo KPP.

I just recall thinking that he wasn't as good a defender as people were suggesting from his All Australian selection as a defender. That's just my recollection. People can believe whoever they wish.
You may be remembering him at Peel. He was played in defence a lot at Peel and was bloody awful - really looked like he didn't want to be back there. I don't remember him paying back at AFL level but when some suggested it I shuddered.

Turns out I was wrong, but I still think he will be a really good KPF and we are well stocked for defenders (injury aside of course).

Gee, I reckon we're hard on this guy. He's still only 22 and has improved significantly each year. There aren't many that age holding down key positions. I reckon he's our CHF in 2022. In fact, while I'm on a roll, when you factor in Cox's and Darcy's future development, I think we might have the best group of sub-24yos in the comp.

Yep he did. First two games in 2017 IIRC before he was swung forward for the majority of the rest of the season. The general criticism was he was slow off the mark to spoil and lacked strength, all the sort of deficits you might expect of a 18yo KPP.

Yeah. Exactly as I remember. Really slow and lacked physicality. Remember thinking he looks a lot better up forward when they gave up on the backline thing. Turns out he is pretty good at either end, now that he has, as you mentioned, had time to develop.

Any news on dem re-signings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back