List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure of the relevance? In 2016 Hayden Ballantyne kicked 26 goals from 20 games, should we get him back in the side?

Lobb averaged 1.2 goals a game for 1 year. He hasn't averaged a goal a game at any other point let alone the 1.5+ I would hope for from a KPF.

It's a good thing he can ruck and take a clunk otherwise he would be looked at similar to Jack Anthony.
In a way I am sort of disappointed on how Freo treated Shane Kersten.

Yeah I am in the minority on this. Kersten could of been half decent as a tall forward flanker had Taberner played a full season at FF in 2018 or 2019. But that's my opinion.

Cam McCarthy even admitted that he took his AFL career for granted at both GWS and Freo and knew he should of worked harder.

Saying that...... I rather Lobb or Taberner or even Brennan Cox FF than Jack Anthony right now.

Yeah I am in the minority on this. Kersten could of been half decent as a tall forward flanker had Taberner played a full season at FF in 2018 or 2019. But that's my opinion.

Cam McCarthy even admitted that he took his AFL career for granted at both GWS and Freo and knew he should of worked harder.

Saying that...... I rather Lobb or Taberner or even Brennan Cox FF than Jack Anthony right now.
Kersten was playing backline in his last actual playing season which was 2018. He made a better fist of backline than Hogan but much better options available for the role he was playing which wasn’t key position (Luke Ryan, Hayden Young, Ethan Hughes and even Taylin Duman come to mind).

In 2019 Kersten had Plantar Fascia issues that were not well treated by at first the medical consultants for Freo and then secondly the Freo medical team. He also had a major falling out with Rosco and he/Bennell went the same direction as McCarthy/Carter but a year earlier (that is released from their contracts early). We picked him up for pick 69 or thereabouts so no major loss. Decent first year but that was it. Lollie lover Matera also only had one decent year and it coincided with the pre-season that he worked hard and gave up the lollies.

McCarthy was the one I had bigger hopes for. Was played out of position a lot and not really shown the confidence he needed to thrive. However he never really applied himself and didn’t work hard enough and that was on him which is disappointing.

Kersten was playing backline in his last actual playing season which was 2018. He made a better fist of backline than Hogan but much better options available for the role he was playing which wasn’t key position (Luke Ryan, Hayden Young, Ethan Hughes and even Taylin Duman come to mind).

In 2019 Kersten had Plantar Fascia issues that were not well treated by at first the medical consultants for Freo and then secondly the Freo medical team. He also had a major falling out with Rosco and he/Bennell went the same direction as McCarthy/Carter but a year earlier (that is released from their contracts early). We picked him up for pick 69 or thereabouts so no major loss. Decent first year but that was it. Lollie lover Matera also only had one decent year and it coincided with the pre-season that he worked hard and gave up the lollies.

McCarthy was the one I had bigger hopes for. Was played out of position a lot and not really shown the confidence he needed to thrive. However he never really applied himself and didn’t work hard enough and that was on him which is disappointing.
Yeah Shane Kersten had his injuries too. I think Kersten and Bennell are part of the reason why our medical staff had to be looked at and reviewed.

Brandon Matera was another that I always wondered. 1st year was terrible. Then that 2nd year he kicked 30 goals from 20 games in 2019. I thought to my self at the end of the 2019 season.... Gee Matera kicked 30 goals, Walters kicked 40 goals and got AA. We also Had Taberner, Hogan and Lobb as tall forwards.

I was hoping All 5 of them played well in 2020 and that would of been a good thing if it did. Sadly it didnt happen.

I had Hopes for Cam McCarthy too. He was solid in 2017. Sad it didnt work out for him because he had the talent and ability to be a solid 30-40 goals a season forward we need. Sadly he wasnt motivated to play well.

Imo out of all our fwd recruits since TAZ, Matera's 2019 season was probably the best season we've got from one.30 goals as a small fwd with Walters running through there too was a good return.

Cam was too lazy and inconsistent, Kersten had a straight kick but didn't do enough, Bennell injuries and off field stuff, Gumbleton injuries, Sylvia was lazy, Anthony was crap but always felt like we didnt do his confidence any good dropping him after every game and Hogan was off field dramas and that injury setback.

Then there's Lobb. Handy, but hasn't dominated. He's on 800k...it's absolutely go time next season. His first year was just a pass mark, but last season was a fail. He better work on that set shot. I'd advise him to have 4 step run up.

Imo out of all our fwd recruits since TAZ, Matera's 2019 season was probably the best season we've got from one.30 goals as a small fwd with Walters running through there too was a good return.

Cam was too lazy and inconsistent, Kersten had a straight kick but didn't do enough, Bennell injuries and off field stuff, Gumbleton injuries, Sylvia was lazy, Anthony was crap but always felt like we didnt do his confidence any good dropping him after every game and Hogan was off field dramas and that injury setback.

Then there's Lobb. Handy, but hasn't dominated. He's on 800k...it's absolutely go time next season. His first year was just a pass mark, but last season was a fail. He better work on that set shot. I'd advise him to have 4 step run up.

Lobb’s contract is the only problem with him imo. Offers enough that he’ll always be a good best 22 player and would be for most sides but will never ever be a superstar.

When his contract is up we’ll probably offer him what he truly deserves. It’ll be enough because no other club will offer significant overs for a 29 year old (contract is up in 2022) whose an okay rather than good player.

Lobb had a great 2019, and we were all loving him sick for his work around the ground, his huge contested marking, and perfectly adequate ruck work.
2020 he dropped off. Ruck work fell away and his stutter became way more pronounced. He didn’t offer as much around the ground, but could be trusted to take the big pack mark repelling an opposition‘s forward movement, or giving our backs someone to confidently kick to.
If he can get back to 2019 levels - provide decent back up in the ruck and lose the stutter, then he’ll be excellent for us in 2021. He just needs to be a foil for Tabs, so he can have the space to control the forward line.
IMHO

Lobb had a great 2019, and we were all loving him sick for his work around the ground, his huge contested marking, and perfectly adequate ruck work.
2020 he dropped off. Ruck work fell away and his stutter became way more pronounced. He didn’t offer as much around the ground, but could be trusted to take the big pack mark repelling an opposition‘s forward movement, or giving our backs someone to confidently kick to.
If he can get back to 2019 levels - provide decent back up in the ruck and lose the stutter, then he’ll be excellent for us in 2021. He just needs to be a foil for Tabs, so he can have the space to control the forward line.
IMHO
His worth to the team is heavily correlated with how well he's rucking. I think he knows that to yet instead of accepting that is his role he's putting too much pressure on himself to kick goals and prove he's a forward. So his ruckwork regressed and he approaches goal like Rudolf Nureyev auditioning at the Kirov.
The guy just needs to accept his role as ruck forward and improve his ruckwork which was shizen last year.

Kersten didn’t have any mobility once the ball wasn’t in a straight line. He could lead but any kicks hitting the floor, had a turning circle of a truck. Plus he was quite slow for his height .

Lobb isn't the issue.

The issue is our club's complete inability to recruit / build / have a functioning forward line.
I could be the 'functioning' bit? We have had the ability to bring in forwards - we just can't get the best out of them.

Check out this forward line for a bit of fun:

Bennell, Hogan, Anthony
Kersten, McCarthy, Matera

I could be the 'functioning' bit? We have had the ability to bring in forwards - we just can't get the best out of them.

Bennell, Hogan, Anthony

Keratin can EAD, no idea why anyone thinks he was anything other than a list clogger.

Something isn't right with how we go about things, every year is the same about where our goals are going to come from but this is probably the first year we don't have a Hogan / McCarthy / Bennell / insert great hope here player to pin out hopes on.

No idea how we are going to kick a winning score. We don't even have goal kicking mids (Walters aside).

Why we continue to not draft forwards is beyond me.

We've had a big problem with a lack of elite midfielders for years and years, we still get beaten in clearances and scores from center clearances. Our forward line will look better if we are dominant in the bounce clearances. Our contested marking forwards will look like superstars when we can run a set play with some degree of confidence of the ball coming our way into six on six.

This problem begins in the ruck, I expect Darcy and the likes of Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong, Tucker to develop beyond the tap it to Fyfe and hope he isn't double teamed tactic.

Talls? Because being tall isn't enough to make an AFL player anymore, they need to have some athleticism too and those players are usually gone fairly early in the draft. We used our early picks for midfielders.

Smalls? The best small forwards are arguably midfielders resting forward or developing forward. Almost like elite talent works everywhere. Small forwards have become pressure runners in sides now, so not super talented beyond speed and hard working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennell, Hogan, Anthony

It almost seems like WC wouldn’t go near these blokes and so they show keenness to come to us and we just take the bait hook, line and sinker.

Thankfully I think we’ve seen the end of it at Freo now. We are suckers no more!

Last edited:
Keratin can EAD, no idea why anyone thinks he was anything other than a list clogger.

Something isn't right with how we go about things, every year is the same about where our goals are going to come from but this is probably the first year we don't have a Hogan / McCarthy / Bennell / insert great hope here player to pin out hopes on.

No idea how we are going to kick a winning score. We don't even have goal kicking mids (Walters aside).

Things will change. For years I bemoaned our lack of drafting forwards or any goal kicking classy forwards to be more accurate, but Sturt was a good selection against the grain of our MOA and we got Western and Henry but more will come. We seem to have a different outlook in the last 2 off seasons being more open to taking attacking players e.g. Young, Serong, Chapman, Western, Henry, Fredrick.

We’re getting there and definitely heading in the right direction with the right strategies.

It almost seems like WC wouldn’t go near these blokes and so they show keenness to come to us and we just take the bait hook, line and sinker.

Thankfully I think we’ve seen the end of it at Freo now. We are suckers no more!

Yeah I'm pretty stoked that the culture is changing. Might still be one or two party boys, but for the most part they seem like a young professional bunch.

Lobb was good in 2019 and even better early 2020 before hub life. His form dropped badly to the point that he actually looked flakey at times during the hub games.

I’d say he’ll be back to normal this year.
Feel like there's a few players that will greatly benefit from not being in the hubs and focused on Footy 24/7, Lobb is definitely one of them

The way our premiers are wetting the bed every time someone gets a sniffle, what makes you all so sure we won't be in hubs again this year?
Feel AFL hubs are easier and manegable vs NBA/MLB style hubs where they play 60 games.

They did well with holding 3-4 games in each city. Players have had October-March off. That’s 6 months. Quite a bit of time off.

They need to have hubs where the home state’s team aren’t in that hub.
ie Brisbane playing probably 16 games in Queensland is bit of a joke.
Have Brisbane go to a WA hub, whilst other teams goes to Queensland etc. Make it a neutral Comp. But AFL’s never been that... neutrality isn’t their thing

Very harsh...and inaccurate. Good depth and in fact his first season with us at the top level was actually better than ok.

List cloggers are players that can’t perform at the top level.
Maybe harsh but not inaccurate. Guy epitomises the list clogger.

First season he was average at best saved for kicking the winning goal early in the season. After that he was a complete waste of a list spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back