List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Feel AFL hubs are easier and manegable vs NBA/MLB style hubs where they play 60 games.

They did well with holding 3-4 games in each city. Players have had October-March off. That’s 6 months. Quite a bit of time off.

They need to have hubs where the home state’s team aren’t in that hub.
ie Brisbane playing probably 16 games in Queensland is bit of a joke.
Have Brisbane go to a WA hub, whilst other teams goes to Queensland etc. Make it a neutral Comp. But AFL’s never been that... neutrality isn’t their thing
They'll still find a way to favor their preferred team. Richmond basically never left qld and played both wce and freo consecutively off 4 day breaks and travel.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe harsh but not inaccurate. Guy epitomises the list clogger.

First season he was average at best saved for kicking the winning goal early in the season. After that he was a complete waste of a list spot
Probably somewhere in between but I lean toward’s your view. His first season (2017) was ok...just ok. A few decent games where he kicked 2-3 goals and did his role. I agree that by end of the season his form was poor and if memory serves me right he was dropped at one point. His start and pre-season in 2018 was very average and couldn’t get a game. After some ordinary WAFL fwd form and backline personnel issues he was moved to the backline and did ok with Peel. Late in the season played backline for Freo alongside his mate Hamling but was more a third tall. There was a game against Melbourne (I think) at the MCG did quite well. Thereafter not much chop and was dropped after 4-5 games never to be seen again.

We picked him up for pick 69 or thereabouts and was barely depth by the end of his tenure.

Diverbelow

Senior List
Mar 4, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just throwing this out there but...........If Cerra hasnt signed by mid season would we sound out Carlton about Cripps coming home?.

Just throwing this out there but...........If Cerra hasnt signed by mid season would we sound out Carlton about Cripps coming home?.

Would be seriously surprised if we see an extension before October from Cez tbh.
I’m not worried until a trade request get raised like Weller did

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Swap a guy who best football is yet to be played, for a guy who’s best years are behind him and has had several major surgeries?
sounds oh so freo alright.

Agree it’s oh so Freo of recent. Making the best (picking up a 26 y.o. Cripps) out of a bad situation (Cerra opting out). Think Weller, Neale and Hill. Not great but not the disasters they could have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Mundy always used to play best in his last season of a contract, lucky he's now on 1 year contracts.
Probably play until he is 40

40? Why you underselling him? He’ll play until he’s 58. Absolutely brilliant move by Belly to keep him on a one year contract for the next 20 years.

Seriously though, let’s not get all huffy puffy about Cerra before the season started. He did the same thing before signing his extension. I don’t blame the guy. You want to play for a team that’s heading in the right direction and has a strong culture. Nothing wrong with waiting to see how the season goes. Players have to look out for themselves. Fans look out for the club. Very different perspectives.

My money is that Cerra will be top three in the Doig again this year....which is good for both the club and player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I personally respect that Cerra is holding out, he's basically betting on himself. Expecting a massive season from him.
I hope we give Cerra a 4 year extension like Brayshaw. That would take Cerra to 8 years as free Agency status and in the prime of his career.

But I am going to be Brutally Honest....

Best case Scenario. He stays and signs on for 2-4 years.

Worse Case Scenario. He leaves for nothing in the PSD. I hope this doesnt happen. If he does Leave, Sadly I know we will get unders.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Swap a guy who best football is yet to be played, for a guy who’s best years are behind him and has had several major surgeries?
sounds oh so freo alright.
So instead of a swap, if we got Cripps plus a first round pick for Cerra, would you do the deal then? That would at least compensate for the age difference.

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
So instead of a swap, if we got Cripps plus a first round pick for Cerra, would you do the deal then? That would at least compensate for the age difference.
I posted a similar post on the Cripps thread and got shouted down, but given Carlton is involved the AFL will turn a blind eye to anything that would usually be investigated by the them. My suggestion was that they don’t match the bid, then use the compo pick to trade for Cerra, that way they don’t lose their 1st round pick, the blues fans weren’t happy. Maybe we would have to throw in a vic player surplus to our needs, Bewley will struggle to keep his spot in the starting 22 and may want to look for opportunities back in Victoria

Cerra would just about have to win the Brownlow to be able to swap him for Cripps AND a first

Cerra would just about have to win the Brownlow to be able to swap him for Cripps AND a first

It's a different circumstance when the first round pick could be provided by the AFL. I'd like to think Cerra will be signed up long term but if it were Carlton and Cripps were coming home to WA and wanted the Freo free agent offer then there's a chance Carlton could lose a player to free agency, replace that player with the compensation pick and we end up with both the player and the compensation pick.

It gets tricky if they were to try and secure a free agent themselves, losing their compensation pick. It's also possible to game the system here I believe.

This year the dates went like this:
Free agency period was Friday the 30th of October to Friday the 6th of November
Trade period opened on the 4th of November

The timeline here could look:
Fremantle lodges Free Agency form for Cripps - Friday the 30th.
Fremantle and Carlton talk on the phone, Carlton says they are chasing Merrett and Cerra. Carlton don't lodge paperwork for Merrett and indicate they won't match the bid.
Cripps becomes a Docker, Carlton get band 1 compensation.
Trade period opens.
Fremantle trade Cripps to Carlton for their band 1 compensation pick.
Carlton lodge Free agency paperwork for Merrett - this would cancel their compensation pick... they don't have it anymore.

I am not sure what the rules would do in this circumstance.

Again, don't want to trade Cerra. Happy to secure Cripps on long term deal as a restricted free agent.

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
That’s the whole point of the scenario I suggested, Carlton don’t give up their 1st round pick, the AFL provide it, effectively they lose Cripps and gain Cerra and another fringe best 22 player which is a great trade in my opinion as Cerra is younger and has the potential to be better than Cripps. We get Cripps and a 1st round pick for Cerra and a fringe Vic player, it doesn’t have to be Bewely, just someone who by the end of the year is getting squeezed out of our team and wants more opportunity elsewhere.
FWIW I think Cerra will stay, just putting up a hypothetical of how we could extract the best return if he were to go.

That’s the whole point of the scenario I suggested, Carlton don’t give up their 1st round pick, the AFL provide it, effectively they lose Cripps and gain Cerra and another fringe best 22 player which is a great trade in my opinion as Cerra is younger and has the potential to be better than Cripps. We get Cripps and a 1st round pick for Cerra and a fringe Vic player, it doesn’t have to be Bewely, just someone who by the end of the year is getting squeezed out of our team and wants more opportunity elsewhere.
FWIW I think Cerra will stay, just putting up a hypothetical of how we could extract the best return if he were to go.
Yeah but we'd still have to give more, Cripps is seen as a top 5 player in the competition while Cerra isnt currently in his league. Now, I disagree with a lot of how AFL clubs value players but in the end your trade for them is essentially still Cripps for Cerra and a list clogger (in a time when list spots are premium). Cerra would have to have an incredible year to be worth that because potential isnt worth as much as runs on the board in clubland.

Now, dont get me wrong, I've moved to the boat where unless Cripps shows his body isnt broken this year, I dont really want him because his cost would be exorbitant for his actual output but in the world where Cerra wants to go back to Vic and Cripps wants to come to us, we'd need to chuck in some decent value on top of Cerra to get Cripps across.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think Cripps will leave. But I wouldn't mind getting a few Carlton players, the ones that must routinely suck off the umpires to get those free kicks when they really need them. You can't put a price on that sort of talent

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I don't think Cripps will leave. But I wouldn't mind getting a few Carlton players, the ones that must routinely suck off the umpires to get those free kicks when they really need them. You can't put a price on that sort of talent
Then we would be a clone of the west coast.
Let's keep it real & stick to football players

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
What area in our squad\position is our weakest link?

Our fat side winger? I have Bewley is our best player for this position, but I am not sure he is our top 25 players. Who else can play this role?
Forward Flank? Rotate mids through plus Sturt should have this position covered
Forward pocket? Switta or Schultz? They need to hit the score board if they are to hold there spot.
Outside Mid? I was hoping this would be Cerra, but he is being lined up to play inside. A big weakness.
Ruck forward? The lobbster needs a big year.

Where does Henry play next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back