List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Quick question to the doubters, how many first year players walk straight into the competition and tear it a new one ?
Answer : hardly any.
Serong is going to be one of the best players in the comp after 100 games experience, he is an exepetion.
I’ve seen enough of MF to recognise that he is going to be a really exciting player for us. Just wait until he gets at least 50 games under his belt. He will put on more size and strength; and he’ll be lighting up Optus Stadium for many years to come, he’s going to be a beauty I’m telling you.

Really? I reckon he's fairly average. When Sturt is injury free, Henry builds his tank and learns what defensive pressure is, Frederick will struggle to get a game. He's filling a role until others are ready, he isn't best 22 material in my opinion

I dunno about that , there's a bit there to work with as he hasn't worked out how to really make the most out of his speed yet
Bit of coaching and confidence and give him a weird KPI like say " get run down from behind once per game " might just unlock a pretty dangerous player

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm With you
Hope he comes through , hell of an athlete and amazing recovery but it poses the question....
Is it more likely you will make a good footballer out of an athlete who doesn't have football sense or a footballer who trains to become more athletic ?

when I'm watching Freddy I'm watching a guy running after the ball and the opposition at 100 miles an hour , generally out of position, exciting but not good football.
Surely there's kids out there who have got footy smarts and can run and chase ?
I think Freddy will project like Cam Sutcliffe. Not the same sort of player, but will offer a great role as a raw youngster, play his role for a few years, until he reaches his ceiling pretty quickly, then others will start to overtake him. He’ll play the odd game here and there, and spend more time at Peel than in the seniors. But for now he’ll be developed as Cam was, until we see how good he can be. He’ll pretty much be a full time Peel player once Sturt is fit and Henry is ready. For now he’s needed.

I dunno about that , there's a bit there to work with as he hasn't worked out how to really make the most out of his speed yet
Bit of coaching and confidence and give him a weird KPI like say " get run down from behind once per game " might just unlock a pretty dangerous player

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

But he doesn’t do that. He runs fast, but I can’t remember him doing a Ballas or Langdon yet.

Find it a bit odd about the harshness of Frederick's composure and decision making when that's exactly what you'd expect out of 99% of 1st year players. His pressure, ability to find the ball in dangerous places and even goal kicking have all been pretty good though. Maybe he'll be a bust but making any assertions at this point is a bit weird. When we're planning on running a Fyfe/Taberner/Lobb/Hogan/Darcy lineup Frederick seems like the type of player you don't notice when you have him but then lament our defensive forward pressure when you don't have them.

Find it a bit odd about the harshness of Frederick's composure and decision making when that's exactly what you'd expect out of 99% of 1st year players. His pressure, ability to find the ball in dangerous places and even goal kicking have all been pretty good though. Maybe he'll be a bust but making any assertions at this point is a bit weird. When we're planning on running a Fyfe/Taberner/Lobb/Hogan/Darcy lineup Frederick seems like the type of player you don't notice when you have him but then lament our defensive forward pressure when you don't have them.

I think back to Freddy's first goal. Clean and instinctive.

I think as he's thought about the game and system more he's not been as clean. The game will slow down for him in time and he'll feel more comfortable with his role in the system.

I think his skill level and cleanness will increase from there.

I wonder if Jeremy Cameron leaves GWS they would get in to Hogan's ear as a pretty cheap replacement. Just thinking out loud more than anything!

I think Freddy will project like Cam Sutcliffe. Not the same sort of player, but will offer a great role as a raw youngster, play his role for a few years, until he reaches his ceiling pretty quickly, then others will start to overtake him. He’ll play the odd game here and there, and spend more time at Peel than in the seniors. But for now he’ll be developed as Cam was, until we see how good he can be. He’ll pretty much be a full time Peel player once Sturt is fit and Henry is ready. For now he’s needed.
I reckon bookmark this because I think this is totally backwards. If Freddy never comes on it won't be because he lacks a ceiling, it will be because he couldn't get there. He is quick and an good endurance runner. He is a penetrating kick off both feet and seems to have some goals sense and a decent set shot with good range.

What he lacks at the moment is being clean and probably a fair bit of positioning/leading patterns (off the ball stuff). No guarantee to sort that stuff out but seems to have a first class attitude so I'm backing him in.

Sutcliffe by contrast had no standout AFL attributes and that's why he we never anymore than a tidy AFL player. I actually think he did really well to have the career he has.

I wonder if Jeremy Cameron leaves GWS they would get in to Hogan's ear as a pretty cheap replacement. Just thinking out loud more than anything!
Doubt it if he goes it would be for whatever they get for Cameron. Pretty sure we rate him higher than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I reckon bookmark this because I think this is totally backwards. If Freddy never comes on it won't be because he lacks a ceiling, it will be because he couldn't get there. He is quick and an good endurance runner. He is a penetrating kick off both feet and seems to have some goals sense and a decent set shot with good range.

What he lacks at the moment is being clean and probably a fair bit of positioning/leading patterns (off the ball stuff). No guarantee to sort that stuff out but seems to have a first class attitude so I'm backing him in.

Sutcliffe by contrast had no standout AFL attributes and that's why he we never anymore than a tidy AFL player. I actually think he did really well to have the career he has.
All true except Sutty could run all day. The Chris Martin school of winning time trials.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I thought he was but couldn't even remember if he was that good because you wouldn't know it watching him play (backline aint great for gut running to be fair to Sutty).
Haha true. I actually thought his best position would have been on a wing. He played there for Easts and went ok. Never really tried there by RTB.

Ok that’s fair. I don’t disagree in the skills/pace department. I concede my analysis may have been more anal than ysis 😣, but Sutcliffe was a member of the team that had that run to the GF in 2012/2013, and was favoured over Neale for much of that time. However, I think with the team we’re building now, Freddy won’t be B22 from 2021 onwards. Solid depth, but where would you play him over other fit and firing 25 players?

However, I think with the team we’re building now, Freddy won’t be B22 from 2021 onwards. Solid depth, but where would you play him over other fit and firing 25 players?

I don't think that's a question that can be answered till you actually see how players develop. Henry and co. "might" overtake him, but what a hypothetical best 22 looks like years from now could easily include Frederick if he continues to show improvement.

I don't think that's a question that can be answered till you actually see how players develop. Henry and co. "might" overtake him, but what a hypothetical best 22 looks like years from now could easily include Frederick if he continues to show improvement.
I’m sceptical, but then maybe I don’t know as much as I think I do. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ok that’s fair. I don’t disagree in the skills/pace department. I concede my analysis may have been more anal than ysis 😣, but Sutcliffe was a member of the team that had that run to the GF in 2012/2013, and was favoured over Neale for much of that time. However, I think with the team we’re building now, Freddy won’t be B22 from 2021 onwards. Solid depth, but where would you play him over other fit and firing 25 players?
I think at 100% strength he doesn't play next year without improving a fair bit but... given how much he has improved this year and how injury prone everybody on our list seems to be there is a good chance he plays a fair few games. In particular, if he can improve his tank even more he could see wing time as well as forward time. Pretty sure the wing is where he is headed long term (ideally).

But not being B22 at 20 isn't an issue and doesn't mean he is going to be a plodder.

Also, if I am being honest he is about the 3rd or 4th med/small forward I would pick* because I am happy to carry development players in those roles since it is mostly just chasing blokes anyway. Walters, Sturt, Henry/Freddy.

*If you are wondering where Mitch is, he starts in the centre in my B22.

If Frederick builds his game and tank as I hope then he will be our opposing winger to Acres, burning his opponent off as he runs back towards goal for the kick over the top.
I agree with this. Frederick is currently playing as a forward where i think his best position in the future will be wing where he can really use his pace and get out in to space a bit more, he is obviously still young and learning the game so he is learning the ropes in the forward line for now. I'm very interested to see how he develops over the next few years as he offers something we don't have a lot of, speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back