Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Dixon has played one AFL game which admittedly he went okay in and has never really dominated even at WAFL level. He’s a fringe prospect like Taberner was. Unlike Taberner though he doesn’t seem to want to put in the work.

We’d be better off giving the list spot (if there even is one) to someone else imo.

Enter, Ben Brown.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Dixon goes, it’s because he hasn’t shown the work ethic behind closed doors at the club. The club isn’t against holding onto a key forward they think has the skill set to make it. One thing that can’t be questioned with Tabs over his time at the club is his work ethic.

Dixon has more natural ability than Tabs, but that means SFA if he isn’t willing to put in the yards. Only the coaches know this & the fact that Dardy is gone, I don’t think Dixon is too far behind him, the only thing that might save him is our lack of tall forwards on the list. (Ironically because Dardy has gone)

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Dixon goes, it’s because he hasn’t shown the work ethic behind closed doors at the club. The club isn’t against holding onto a key forward they think has the skill set to make it. One thing that can’t be questioned with Tabs over his time at the club is his work ethic.

Dixon has more natural ability than Tabs, but that means SFA if he isn’t willing to put in the yards. Only the coaches know this & the fact that Dardy is gone, I don’t think Dixon is too far behind him, the only thing that might save him is our lack of tall forwards on the list. (Ironically because Dardy has gone)
Maybe - JL said he would like another ruck who can play forward. If they get one of these then I’m afraid it’s definitely all over for Dixon. If they don’t he may survive.

The Freo website has him listed as 196cm. Watching him at Peel last year he went ok in the ruck and then drifting fwd. There were plenty of games when he played purely fwd where he did nothing. With the Squeeze on for list spots I think he is in the Gun.

Last edited:

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting conversation here
I'm gonna throw a curve ball in :
Doesn't look like much Drafting/ trading coming up and our list depth is a bit heavy in defence and light in the forward line .

Does anyone on here think that Hayden Young could be played as a tallish forward ?
Footy smart , likes to take the game on , beautiful kick , strong hands .

Multi tasking and developing our current list is the best hope we have in the 2-3 year flag window that is approaching. IMO
Jlo May have to be a bit of a mad scientist type and try some experiments to win the short game .
I don't think many members have got the appetite for another 5-8 year rebuild

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doesn't look like much Drafting/ trading coming up and our list depth is a bit heavy in defence and light in the forward line .

Does anyone on here think that Hayden Young could be played as a tallish forward ?

Multi tasking and developing our current list is the best hope we have in the 2-3 year flag window that is approaching. IMO
Jlo May have to be a bit of a mad scientist type and try some experiments to win the short game .
Interesting idea and definitely outside the box. Personally, I'd be very strongly against it.

Young, Ryan and Logue.....ridiculous amount of intercepts and rebounding for the next 10 years.

Reckon if Young stays injury free next year, he can have as big an impact as Serong has this season. I have enormous hope and confidence Hayden Young is going to be an absolute brilliant player, that game against the GC has me itching to see more.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Nah I think Sturt has that covered they are both about 190 cm. But I do hope he can become a winger one day who knows if he will ever develop a tank big enough though...

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hill is also what Freddy isn't, a very good ball distributor and decision maker. Hope I'm wrong, but he's simply filling a role until the more skilled players are ready. Freddy is basically a Petruccelle/Coyler type. People will say he's still young, give him time, so much potential....it's fairly obvious what he is.
Freddie is also what Hill isn’t. A pressure machine with ability to tackle and harrass.

But Freddy’s pace and core endurance could see him roam a much greater land area down the track - much like Hill. His kicking mechanics should also deliver higher disposal efficiency once he’s more comfortable in his skin. Right now they are playing different roles.

It’s interesting how similar their stats are for their first years in the system. Hill was 1 year younger and came on like a train the next year (picked up a premiership in fact).

The question is whether Freddy can improve and grow. Or was he just filling in for Sturt while injured, he can’t displace current wingers, and we see less of him next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My take is that we are very unlikely to take a player that can only play tall forward in either the trade period or the draft. Even if we lost Hogan (I think unlikely), delisted Dixon (which I think is an almost certainty) we would play Sturt close to goals as a medium sizer and Taberner and Lobb as general talls.

I am guessing we will probably try and draft another ruckman who is athletic enough to theoretically play forward, probably with a late pick.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
My take is that we are very unlikely to take a player that can only play tall forward in either the trade period or the draft. Even if we lost Hogan (I think unlikely), delisted Dixon (which I think is an almost certainty) we would play Sturt close to goals as a medium sizer and Taberner and Lobb as general talls.

I am guessing we will probably try and draft another ruckman who is athletic enough to theoretically play forward, probably with a late pick.
Kalin Lane?

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah I think Sturt has that covered they are both about 190 cm. But I do hope he can become a winger one day who knows if he will ever develop a tank big enough though...
Yes Keep forgetting about Sturt
Seen so little of him , good when he's on the paddock though , be great to have him back in .
Young on the wing is a great call , good wings are smart.
That was sort of the emphasis of my point that his talent is almost wasted at half back , he's better than that ( apologies to defenders no offence meant 😉)

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kalin Lane?
On Kalin
I helped coach him from 12s to Colts .
Bloody amazing to have a kid that size who is mobile and agile ( and bloody competitive) .
2 sisters state basketball and netball and his dad is a big unit so he has the bone structure to fill out if need be .
I haven't seen him for 2-3 years, would like to know how hungry he is for the big time and how willing he is to work, if he's got that give him a go . He's kicked plenty of goals for us from 50 out after winning contested possessions.
Would love to see one of our boys go further .

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos

You never know if you don't give it a go. It's not like any experimental moves mean a player is condemned to spend the rest of his career there.

Sturt has proven to be unable to get on and/or stay on the park so far. Hopefully that improves for his benefit and the benefit of the team in 2021 but pinch hitting options are always handy as a standby.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
On Kalin
I helped coach him from 12s to Colts .
Bloody amazing to have a kid that size who is mobile and agile ( and bloody competitive) .
2 sisters state basketball and netball and his dad is a big unit so he has the bone structure to fill out if need be .
I haven't seen him for 2-3 years, would like to know how hungry he is for the big time and how willing he is to work, if he's got that give him a go . He's kicked plenty of goals for us from 50 out after winning contested possessions.
Would love to see one of our boys go further .
Sounds like you have question marks about his hunger?

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like you have question marks about his hunger?
Wasn't so much hunger as work rate .
I'm a bit fearful of saying anything negative for fear of branding him .
He was a kid in a small town who was streets ahead in ability and size.
With that came a bit of ego , which can be good if focused correctly.

He was maturing nicely and was a pivotal player in our league team when he got the call up from Claremont 2 years ago.

Since my dealings he has had the benefit of good quality coaching and mentoring through the Storm squad and also career guidance through some amazing coaches we have down here in our basketball program.
He knows he's got a shot and the fact he's gone to Perth tells me he's willing to take it .

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Wasn't so much hunger as work rate .
I'm a bit fearful of saying anything negative for fear of branding him .
He was a kid in a small town who was streets ahead in ability and size.
With that came a bit of ego , which can be good if focused correctly.

He was maturing nicely and was a pivotal player in our league team when he got the call up from Claremont 2 years ago.

Since my dealings he has had the benefit of good quality coaching and mentoring through the Storm squad and also career guidance through some amazing coaches we have down here in our basketball program.
He knows he's got a shot and the fact he's gone to Perth tells me he's willing to take it .
True for quite a few. And I think it is a bit more difficult for the talls to transition to the big leagues, and would highlight O'Reilly and Dixon in that regard. I think he would be a good addition for us at the right pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back