List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

The draft board had a good way of looking at the trading we did last year.

The trades we did were to get Serong, not Henry since we could have always matched with pick 10.

What did we pay for Serong?

So, what did Serong Cost us in the end

7 -> 10 (2020)
Pick 26 (2020)
Pick 22 (2019)

I still think the whole trading performance was average last year but I think its safe to say that i'd pay that price for Serong again...

The other good thing is that any compo picks that are mid-first round come in at #11, so we're safe from sliding back from that that too. :)

Except that mid-first round compensation picks are not a thing*...

*except when GC and GWS came into the competition and the exact pick you’re talking about. Has not existed at any other time.

The trades we did were to get Serong, not Henry since we could have always matched with pick 10.

7 -> 10 (2020)
Pick 26 (2020)
Pick 22 (2019)

I still think the whole trading performance was average last year but I think its safe to say that i'd pay that price for Serong again...

One of those second round picks was traded for points to match a Liam Henry bid so actually had nothing to do with Serong. Wouldn’t be able to tell you which one.

Anyway it’d be interesting to see what our pick would be this year if we just took a larger deficit.

7 -> 10 (2020)
Pick 26 (2020)
Pick 22 (2019)

10+26+22 = serong+Henry I think.....

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of those second round picks was traded for points to match a Liam Henry bid so actually had nothing to do with Serong. Wouldn’t be able to tell you which one.

Anyway it’d be interesting to see what our pick would be this year if we just took a larger deficit.
Yeah but that’s why you include it, we could have either paid with pick 10, or with everything else we paid. I might be missing some later picks but the above is what we paid to draft Henry instead of pick 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10+26+22 = serong+Henry I think.....

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pick 24 2019 (Harry Schoenberg)
Pick 26 2020
7>10

The points we got from Port Adelaide amounted to the value of Pick 38. We traded pick 26 which will likely end up dropping to a pick in the mid 30’s after FA compo and academy/FS picks. So that trade was ok. If Ports picks were slightly higher it would have been better but that is what they had.

The Adelaide trade to secure pick 49 effectively was in Adelaide’s favour but not terrible.

It was this trade that we paid a high price:
10, 28, 2020 Carlton 4th > Pick 8

Ended up:
12 (Kysaiah Pickett) + 32 (Trent Rivers) and change for Caleb Serong

The real value was getting a pick in front of Carlton.

The final trades for points were painful but necessary. Although we lost a bit of value, I'd much rather get a quality/premium player like Serong than have an extra second-rounder in my pocket.

We were very lucky to have Young and Serong fall to our picks. Young was touted as a top 2 or 3 pick but slid due to the needs of other clubs. Serong's carnival was top notch. If WA didn't kick the last-minute goal to put them in front and win last year's carnival - it's possible that Serong would have won the Larke medal over Robertson. Who knows how that may have affected his value.

It also seems that Carlton was hoping for Serong to slide to them - and when it didn't, they bought more time to trade down the order. They clearly weren't sold on Flanders.

The final trades for points were painful but necessary. Although we lost a bit of value, I'd much rather get a quality/premium player like Serong than have an extra second-rounder in my pocket.

We were very lucky to have Young and Serong fall to our picks. Young was touted as a top 2 or 3 pick but slid due to the needs of other clubs. Serong's carnival was top notch. If WA didn't kick the last-minute goal to put them in front and win last year's carnival - it's possible that Serong would have won the Larke medal over Robertson. Who knows how that may have affected his value.

It also seems that Carlton was hoping for Serong to slide to them - and when it didn't, they bought more time to trade down the order. They clearly weren't sold on Flanders.

I could see the board melting if we had taken serong by himself.
Liam & young took the spotlight off him.
What was the knock ? Too small.

Been an amazing year for him.
Really hope he gets his rising star.

Pick 24 2019 (Harry Schoenberg)
Pick 26 2020
7>10

The points we got from Port Adelaide amounted to the value of Pick 38. We traded pick 26 which will likely end up dropping to a pick in the mid 30’s after FA compo and academy/FS picks. So that trade was ok. If Ports picks were slightly higher it would have been better but that is what they had.

The Adelaide trade to secure pick 49 effectively was in Adelaide’s favour but not terrible.

It was this trade that we paid a high price:
10, 28, 2020 Carlton 4th > Pick 8

Ended up:
12 (Kysaiah Pickett) + 32 (Trent Rivers) and change for Caleb Serong

The real value was getting a pick in front of Carlton.
Melbourne would have placed a bid on Henry before Carlton ever had the chance

Except that mid-first round compensation picks are not a thing*...

*except when GC and GWS came into the competition and the exact pick you’re talking about. Has not existed at any other time.
Except when GC got gifted one last year, to be used this year. >.<

But yes, you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back