List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Adelaide should snap up Valente and he should grab it with both hands. Should have got a game. They will probably get him through the PSD for nothing now.

I think it’ll be one we regret.
Unfortunately this could happen. Disappointing after the club traded up specifically for him. Perhaps the reason he wasn't given a game was because he was leaving.

I think we've only extended the contract of Luke Ryan and Liam Henry this season. Even when we've had the coach say the club want Mundy to play next year and Mundy has said he wants to play on next year we still haven't signed him.

I expect there will be plenty of pending deals. "Fremantle extends eleven players in contract blitz" sort of headline.

Pick 24 2019 (Harry Schoenberg)
Pick 26 2020
7>10

The points we got from Port Adelaide amounted to the value of Pick 38. We traded pick 26 which will likely end up dropping to a pick in the mid 30’s after FA compo and academy/FS picks. So that trade was ok. If Ports picks were slightly higher it would have been better but that is what they had.

The Adelaide trade to secure pick 49 effectively was in Adelaide’s favour but not terrible.

It was this trade that we paid a high price:
10, 28, 2020 Carlton 4th > Pick 8

Ended up:
12 (Kysaiah Pickett) + 32 (Trent Rivers) and change for Caleb Serong

The real value was getting a pick in front of Carlton.
A flag winning gamble in my view.

with Fyfe moving forward we still need that Barlow type to get first grab of the ball in tight, something which the others in Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra didn't really excel at (they were good at just about everything else). It was often Mundy or Fyfe who had to be put back in the middle to wrench back the stoppages when the other teams started getting on top. That's where I see Valente's future role.

with Fyfe moving forward we still need that Barlow type to get first grab of the ball in tight, something which the others in Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra didn't really excel at (they were good at just about everything else). It was often Mundy or Fyfe who had to be put back in the middle to wrench back the stoppages when the other teams started getting on top. That's where I see Valente's future role.
Fyfe played 80 / 90 % on ball the last five or six games of the season. That experiment is done and if Valente wants to force his way in it has to be at the expense of the 5th midfielder.

Fyfe played 80 / 90 % on ball the last five or six games of the season. That experiment is done and if Valente wants to force his way in it has to be at the expense of the 5th midfielder.
Experiment?
I think ut is a long term trend. The amount of time mid or forward will vary depending on circumstance, but its not going away.

In fact its hard to imagine Valente making a career here without it

Adelaide should snap up Valente and he should grab it with both hands. Should have got a game. They will probably get him through the PSD for nothing now.

I think it’ll be one we regret.
I think Valente himself is realistic in that he hasn’t been fit over the two years. Only this year he’s been able to improve his fitness but just unfortunate Serong, Cerra and Brayshaw have been able to maintain their fitness at an elite level. Him and Sturt have had a long road to get close to AFL action. The club is rightly cautious.

JLo got to mixed up in the Blakely noise, that perhaps he regrets that move. Really thought the club should’ve debuted Valente ahead of a poor Blakely. In hindsight, was the wrong call.
Luke isn’t that far off. I’m sure we’ve offered him a contract and guarantee.
He ll be first off the block given Banfield, Matera, North, even Blakely could be all gone.

I think Valente himself is realistic in that he hasn’t been fit over the two years. Only this year he’s been able to improve his fitness but just unfortunate Serong, Cerra and Brayshaw have been able to maintain their fitness at an elite level. Him and Sturt have had a long road to get close to AFL action. The club is rightly cautious.

JLo got to mixed up in the Blakely noise, that perhaps he regrets that move. Really thought the club should’ve debuted Valente ahead of a poor Blakely. In hindsight, was the wrong call.
Luke isn’t that far off. I’m sure we’ve offered him a contract and guarantee.
He ll be first off the block given Banfield, Matera, North, even Blakely could be all gone.

Yep, fair call that Valente (if he was ready should have got a game) before Blakely. Especially in hindsight.

Makes sense that JLo wanted to give Blakely a decent run before making his call on him though.

think we've only extended the contract of Luke Ryan and Liam Henry this season. Even when we've had the coach say the club want Mundy to play next year and Mundy has said he wants to play on next year we still haven't signed him.

Depends on the money they can offer him for 1 year?

It would be a travesty if he has already played his last game and we didn't get to give him an appropriate sendoff. The man deserves a 10-lap chairlift and a full-team guard of honour exit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, fair call that Valente (if he was ready should have got a game) before Blakely. Especially in hindsight.

Makes sense that JLo wanted to give Blakely a decent run before making his call on him though.

Perhaps we were hoping he may get a few touches and force his trade value up?

If Valente goes ....he goes, I’d think he would see the fastest track to a debut and success is us.

Depends on the money they can offer him for 1 year?

It would be a travesty if he has already played his last game and we didn't get to give him an appropriate sendoff. The man deserves a 10-lap chairlift and a full-team guard of honour exit.
Surely he goes around again to play all 25 games take the Freo games record and the premiership in his first of 5 premierships right?

Fair comment, but I see it slightly different. If Longmuir can get 60% game time from Valente then he opens options for both Fyfe and Mundy. Very useful to have that as an option.

Fair comment, but I see it slightly different. If Longmuir can get 60% game time from Valente then he opens options for both Fyfe and Mundy. Very useful to have that as an option.
I think Mundy can only play as a mid now.

Valente needs to push Mundy out to be best 22.

Fyfe, Tucker, cerra, Brayshaw, Serong, ???

I imagine Valente gets a go in the Marsh games next year. Would be a good time to have a look at him.

You have to assume Mundy is going to be around for one season max? If Valente produces the goods, it makes sense that he takes that spot. Fyfe will start to be used more forward as he ages too, so there's value in keeping Valente to accommodate that, plus opportunity for him to play if he's up to scratch when we're pushing for a championship in two years. Also we haven't yet confirmed that Weber was responsible for all those injuries, so nice to have quality depth.

Why should we?
We have a good list now.
Need to just consolidate

Well said.

You have a very exciting young list (apart from a couple of senior citizens of course) that will get better by the year with most areas pretty much covered.

Have you got a decent back-up ruck on the list apart from Lobb ??

Need Lobb & Hogan to really fire up next year and dominate the forward line, if they don't, then you may have to go shopping again.

Key defensive posts are a little up in the air at the moment due to injuries and the like but another robust bastard at CHB wouldn't go astray.

Some strategic tweaks in the trade period plus another couple of gun draftees and it could be a very exciting 2021.

Must comment on the game the other night against the Dogs too.

They are a quality outfit so there is no shame in losing to them, however, what should please you the most is that regardless of what the scoreline said, your guys kept mucking in full bore, they never ever threw in the towel. This IMO is an quality that money can't buy !!

Surely he goes around again to play all 25 games take the Freo games record and the premiership in his first of 5 premierships right?
here’s hoping he plays at least 22 (out of our 25 for the season of course) to overcome pav

Well said.

You have a very exciting young list (apart from a couple of senior citizens of course) that will get better by the year with most areas pretty much covered.

Have you got a decent back-up ruck on the list apart from Lobb ??

Need Lobb & Hogan to really fire up next year and dominate the forward line, if they don't, then you may have to go shopping again.

Key defensive posts are a little up in the air at the moment due to injuries and the like but another robust bastard at CHB wouldn't go astray.

Some strategic tweaks in the trade period plus another couple of gun draftees and it could be a very exciting 2021.

Must comment on the game the other night against the Dogs too.

They are a quality outfit so there is no shame in losing to them, however, what should please you the most is that regardless of what the scoreline said, your guys kept mucking in full bore, they never ever threw in the towel. This IMO is an quality that money can't buy !!

Mate we have enough for 2 back lines atm. We don't need anymore backmen!
Im not even sure If Hamling will make the cut. Pearce and Logue straight in for mine.

Mate we have enough for 2 back lines atm. We don't need anymore backmen!
Im not even sure If Hamling will make the cut. Pearce and Logue straight in for mine.

Pearce is a walk-up start at CHB if he stays fit but that is the conundrum, can he stay fit, I certainly hope so.

As for Logue, I know he "plays taller" but at 193cm, if you can have him minding the third-marking tall (the Jack Darling/Jack Gunston types) instead of the bigger gorilla sized forwards then your defence is going to be near impregnable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back