List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Would be a bit disappointed if we fill in with Lobb instead of playing Meek if Darcy is out for a fair while. Either that or recruit a very good one next draft. Not sure if Darcy will ever offer much around the ground. He is still young, so I hope I'm wrong.
Agree with this. Though I think if we play Hogan, Tabs and Lobb having Meek too would make us very tall. I’m still bullish re Darcy as he is so young but he does seem to be made of glass at the moment.

Most here are pretty close to the mark , keeping cox is an absolute no brainer ASAIC.
I’m also of the belief Taberner and blakely should be firmly on the trade table . Reasonable players in their own right but I struggle to see Where they fit in our side in terms of ideal structure/better options available

In years gone by we would hold on to these type of players only for them not to deliver and end up delisting them for nothing - lose/lose situation( think Zac Clarke/C Pearce/NSuban etc.
For once I want Fremantle to make a (semi) brave call and trade these players while they still have currency so we can address holes in the list better.

In terms of direct needs:
Definitely need a small quick lockdown defender- maybe pina?.
Another fast ,skilful x factor small forward- we have Henry already maybe western?
Also agree our first should definitely be going on a quick/burst pace skilful inside mid- Zane Trew looks to fit the bill and another KPF- Logan McDonald hopefully available with our second

I still have major hopes for Hugh Dixon -got all the physical attributes but Is clearly struggling with the mental aspect required to succeed

Trade Taberner!!!

Dixon needs to pull his finger out and actually train. How many times do the club need to call him out in the media saying he needs to train/work harder?

Hogan needs to get on the park and not break down mentally or physically. Even when he did play last year it wasn't like he set the world on fire.

Lobb, again injury history and we need him in the ruck.

We shouldn't be trading out any KPF until they can all get a run at it and settle in a bit. Given our record it's unlikely they'll all ever be fit and ready to play at the same time so we need the cover.

Agree with this. Though I think if we play Hogan, Tabs and Lobb having Meek too would make us very tall. I’m still bullish re Darcy as he is so young but he does seem to be made of glass at the moment.
Yes and no. Hogan and Tabs are very mobile up the ground and can kick into a forward line with two tall options, instead of what happened yesterday. Other teams can make it work. We just don't appear organised enough. It probably won't happen because they may give Fyfe more time up forward, which would then make us too tall.

Lobby has to go to the ruck. Hogan in.

I am a little bit concerned with Brayshaw this season. Sure its only 2 games in, but he is basically offering the same output as his first season. A liability by foot.
Yeah. Cerra showed a lot more than him yesterday when he went into the midfield.

Trade Taberner!!!

Dixon needs to pull his finger out and actually train. How many times do the club need to call him out in the media saying he needs to train/work harder?

Hogan needs to get on the park and not break down mentally or physically. Even when he did play last year it wasn't like he set the world on fire.

Lobb, again injury history and we need him in the ruck.

We shouldn't be trading out any KPF until they can all get a run at it and settle in a bit. Given our record it's unlikely they'll all ever be fit and ready to play at the same time so we need the cover.
Yeah I get your point but I don’t think you should ever really be trading or in this case not trading just for the sake of depth- see my point about holding onto players too long when in reality they should’ve been traded whilst they have currency and while you still have noticeable holes in your list (it’s also beneficial for the player;more opportunities etc) and lastly we’re still building a team to compete for a flag.
It d be different if we were already a contender

Again Agree all Of KPP have question marks around them but Taberner himself has some of the biggest.

At some stage, we need to identify our best forward structure going forward and IMO taberners not apart of that
and I believe the end of this year is that time.
Seeing as Hogan’s made it back after his mental break from the game ,other than complications with his previous injury (still possible) and still 1 year left on his contract he has to be first choice kpf going forward.
Then obviously lobb with his ability to play ruck is clearly ahead of tabs too.
(have to disagree he’s been injury prone - no more to most kpf/tucks in the comp )

Dixon’s a whole another issue and Is so far back atm his situation has no bearing on what happens to tabs regardless *

The other thing your missing in this discussion is Cox . Especially if your concerned about depth

Once hamling and Pearce comes back he’s essentially depth for the back line but I still think he has definite forward potential (as he’s already shown by kicking the same amount as taberners career best in goals in a season) but with the added ability to fill in down back as required

Is 6/7 years younger than tabs, lot more footy iq and as stated before , most importantly is a lot more versatile than tabs.
Not to mention tabs main strength and claim to fame , contested marking, is also one of Coxs strength.

I just can’t see us being able to hold onto both in which case retaining Cox is a no brainer

Last edited:
I think in any KPP plans the club has must take in account Pearce’s injury history. Basically I don‘t think we can plan for him to be a 200 game player. I hope like hell he is and am not suggesting we trade him or anything but the nature of his leg/ankle breaks with no obvious cause (That I have heard) worries me. Keeping Cox and KPP depth generally is vital.

Last edited:
if there are list cuts as predicted for next season, I’ll be stunned if Dixon is still on our list at this rate

I think in any KPP plans the club has must take in account Pearce’s injury history. Basically I don‘t think we can plan for him to be a 200 game player. I hope like hell he is and am not suggesting we trade him or anything but the nature of his leg/ankle breaks with no obvious cause (That I have heard) worries me. Keeping Cox and KPP depth generally is vital.
Yeah Pearce is the real interesting one.

Clearly been earmarked as our backline general and potentially/likely next captain of the club so have put our eggs in that basket but his fragility is of real concern.

I’m not sure where they go or even when they make the call on him if he continues to struggle to get on the park.
Because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter how highly the player is rated if they can’t play their essentially a net negative.

That being said Pearce still has time on his side , atm , before the club needs to make a call whether he’s their best option going forward

Yeah Pearce is the real interesting one.

Clearly been earmarked as our backline general and potentially/likely next captain of the club so have put our eggs in that basket but his fragility is of real concern.

I’m not sure where they go or even when they make the call on him if he continues to struggle to get on the park.
Because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter how highly the player is rated if they can’t play their essentially a net negative.

That being said Pearce still has time on his side , atm , before the club needs to make a call whether he’s their best option going forward
Absolutley he is class on and off the field. Fingers crossed.🙏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading anyone unless we really don’t want to lose them is going to be difficult this year with list cuts.

I’ve said it before - contracts are a legally binding agreement. They’ll be paid out or honoured. We reduced salary paying out anyone will be a massive stretch imo. This will apply to every single club in the league. Isn’t fair on players contracted until the end of 2020 but life isn’t fair.

Hoping they drop lists to around 40 - I’m being realistic here’s as I honestly think list sizes are about right as they are. 35 would be a disaster given that the lowest amount of players used last year was 34. People who think clubs won’t draft 18 year old kids who are no where near AFL level yet are delusional, unless the AFL brings in rules to stop it happening.

I expect we will get a better quality player entering the system at 21 by averages ,if they lifted the draft age, but from what I've seen we would lose a significant amount of talent to life, especially indigenous players.

So I expect plenty of teenagers to be drafted

The issue is some 18/19 yo players are ready for AFL.. ie Rowell, Sam Walsh.

Sure most aren’t but at least they then get guidance until they are ready, others however will get burnt up and spat out the back.

The issue is some 18/19 yo players are ready for AFL.. ie Rowell, Sam Walsh.

Sure most aren’t but at least they then get guidance until they are ready, others however will get burnt up and spat out the back.
I think the private school boys will keep their eye on the prize getting paid to play VFL for a few years, it's the indigenous and lesser fortunate players who might find themselves diverted into another path by 30 months of waiting around.

I expect we will get a better quality player entering the system at 21 by averages ,if they lifted the draft age, but from what I've seen we would lose a significant amount of talent to life, especially indigenous players.

So I expect plenty of teenagers to be drafted

Best thing the AFL could do is put restrictions on the numbers of 18 year olds clubs could draft.

You only have to look at Rowell last night to see that some of these guys genuinely deserve to be playing AFL football so raising the draft age wouldn’t be right imo.

Two 18 year old draftees is about right from this point onwards. I know we drafted 3 guys in the top 10 last year but even that was us taking advantage of the NGA system. If Henry wasn’t in our NGA, two 18 year olds was probably enough.

Best thing the AFL could do is put restrictions on the numbers of 18 year olds clubs could draft.

You only have to look at Rowell last night to see that some of these guys genuinely deserve to be playing AFL football so raising the draft age wouldn’t be right imo.

Two 18 year old draftees is about right from this point onwards. I know we drafted 3 guys in the top 10 last year but even that was us taking advantage of the NGA system. If Henry wasn’t in our NGA, two 18 year olds was probably enough.
Why bother with draft picks when you can sell the farm? That WC champion of 2 games, Kelly is just a
naughty boy 😜
AFL have given us nothing, so we need to take anything that helps our cause.

What can we get for Andy Bradshaw. I'd be looking into offloading him. What do you reckon we can get for him?

A top 10 pick?

But why would we unless he wanted to go. We need midfielders and while he’s not setting the comp on fire he’s progressing well (* I sound like Weber) as a half decent mid that could become a B grade mid. Unless the club is sure he won’t become B grade I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back