List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

There was an O'Driscoll the year before who wasn't bad.

I’d love to get O’Driscoll. I’m sure we’d have to be the first club (correct me if I’m wrong) that has a sister and brother playing for them. What a romantic notion. 😊

Vote 1 O’Driscoll

Plus he goes alright too. 👍🏼

Random thought, but why doesn't anyone talk up making a run to bring Brandon Starcevich back home. A young Brisbane Lion gun, grew up a massive Freo fan, whose career started off a bit slow and has been pushed into half back because of a crowded midfield. Out of contract in a year.

Surely we couldn't get it wrong twice could we? Anyway it makes a lot more sense to me then some of the WA-connected options thrown around here like Angus Brayshaw, Narkle, Menegola, Fisher etc.

Wouldn’t mind Gus tbh. Big-bodied inside mid being played out of position at Melb. Third in Brownlow in 2018. When is he out of contract - next year isn’t it? Grew up a Freo fan, his extended family are all here. Could do worse and he’d be a FA.

Starcevich would be a very good get too. I knew his uncle before he was drafted to Collingwood back in the day. Good family.

Random thought, but why doesn't anyone talk up making a run to bring Brandon Starcevich back home. A young Brisbane Lion gun, grew up a massive Freo fan, whose career started off a bit slow and has been pushed into half back because of a crowded midfield. Out of contract in a year.

Surely we couldn't get it wrong twice could we? Anyway it makes a lot more sense to me then some of the WA-connected options thrown around here like Angus Brayshaw, Narkle, Menegola, Fisher etc.
I wanted him in the Neale trade a few years ago.

My understanding from talking with Lion's supporter's a lot at the time is that his dad or someone is a coach there and he is very happy.

Would be hard to pry loose

Don’t ignore footy IQ, the fact is that midfielders and KPF are historically rated higher due to possession and scoreboard impact.
DGBs offensive weapon is his defensive and repelling ability - him playing at half back but not Fullback - he also plays small and big.
I see DGB as Luke McPharlin type - in hindsight he was a top 5 pick any day.
Luke Mac played on specific player type, he read the play and was best bringing others to him to distribute- he was solid but never broke the lines with his kicking, serviceable - if not a little awkward at times. Dawson was awful by foot and made life easier for Luke and Michael Johnson.
The problem with rating players is the diversity of positions- at present I rate him along with our need for a high possession midfielder like ODriscoll or Trew as our biggest needs - massive WA bias, because I think we need it from a list management perspective.
If we are rating on performance in positional impact at underage this is a lot of the time problematic.
Weitering is much better this year, he had time to develop - I reckon DGB can be much better than Weitering. IMO Weitering is a cyborg defender with - see ball - kill ball instincts. Maybe getting better if you listen to the media, I haven’t seen much of him this year, but the previous couple of years he was bog average - probably more to do with a lot of ball coming his way.
Underrating Weitering. Frequently outbodies his opponent and intercept marks. He also is a good kick.

It's not that Luke wasn't good enough to be a top 5 pick, its that you can get something equivalent later in the draft. That's my point. Go read what I wrote on the DT&FA board and you'll see quickly enough there is no need to splash top picks on defenders. That is despite me thinking Weitering was probably worth it.

Also I flat out reject drafting based on postcode. So if that is your argument we can just agree to disagree because I am not wasting any more time on here with that one.

I wanted him in the Neale trade a few years ago.

My understanding from talking with Lion's supporter's a lot at the time is that his dad or someone is a coach there and he is very happy.

Would be hard to pry loose

Same.

You are correct I think his Uncle is the AFLW coach at the Lions.

He is coming on very nicely now, looks tough and composed. They have been playing him over players who are arguably better now so yes I agree it seems they rate him very highly and he would be hard to pry loose.

You need to learn how to read and not listen to your own dribble sometimes- you seem to get an opinion and it’s unquestionable.
Pick the bits you want - see ya

So I have had someone say a very prominent player manager said Freo have some big/good names in the works for this year. This is someone who has given good info before. Before you jump down my throat, we generally entice someone every year so yes its not that big news and no, I have no idea who they would be, but seems worth sharing non-the-less.

I've done my best to go through every other club board and find WA players who are out of contract this year or next. Highlighted are ones I'D be interested in, you may disagree. I've also included a couple from GWS, since their constant cap squeeze makes it easier to grab players and Brayshaw from Melbourne since we had confirmation we enquired about him last year - that would indicate some willing parties.

I will have missed plenty of names since every board is different and can be hard to find names, so apologies in advance

Adelaide
N/A

Brisbane
Rich - 2021
Cox - 2020
Cameron - 2021

Joyce - 2021
Starcevich - 2021
Robertson - 2021

Carlton
Cripps - 2021
SPS - 2021
Fisher - 2021

Collingwood
N/A

Essendon
Hooker - 2021

Geelong
Taylor - 2020
Narkle - 2020

GC
Sharp -2021

GWS
Langdon - 2020
De Boer - 2021
*Taylor - 2022
*Hill - 2022

Hawthorn
None

Melbourne
Jetta - 2021
Brayshaw (?) - 2022

North Melbourne
Williams - 2020
Hayden - 2020

Port Adelaide
SPP - 2020 (?)

Richmond
Pickett - 2020
English - 2020

St Kilda
Marsh - 2020
Mayo - 2020
Ryder - 2020

Sydney
Taylor - 2021
Warner - 2021

Western Bulldogs
None

Last edited:
So I have had someone say a very prominent player manager said Freo have some big/good names in the works for this year. This is someone who has given good info before. Before you jump down my throat, we generally entice someone every year so yes its not that big news and no, I have no idea who they would be, but seems worth sharing non-the-less.

I've done my best to go through every other club board and find WA players who are out of contract this year or next. Highlighted are ones I'D be interested in, you may disagree. I've also included a couple from GWS, since their constant cap squeeze makes it easier to grab players and Brayshaw from Melbourne since we had confirmation we enquired about him last year - that would indicate some willing parties.

I will have missed plenty of names since every board is different and can be hard to find names, so apologies in advance

Adelaide
N/A

Brisbane
Rich - 2021
Cox - 2020
Cameron - 2021

Joyce - 2021
Starcevich - 2021
Robertson - 2021

Carlton
Cripps - 2021
SPS - 2021
Fisher - 2020

Collingwood
N/A

Essendon
Hooker - 2021

Geelong
Taylor - 2020
Narkle - 2020

GC
Sharp -2021

GWS
Langdon - 2020
De Boer - 2021
*Taylor - 2022
*Hill - 2022

Hawthorn
None

Melbourne
Jetta - 2021
Brayshaw (?) - 2022

North Melbourne
Zurhaar - 2020
Williams - 2020
Hayden - 2020

Port Adelaide
SPP - 2020 (?)

Richmond
Pickett - 2020
English - 2020

St Kilda
Marsh - 2020
Mayo - 2020
Ryder - 2020

Sydney
Taylor - 2021
Warner - 2021

Western Bulldogs
None

Sounds good. I'd possibly add West Coast players? Allen?

Adelaide
N/A

Brisbane
Rich - 2021
Cox - 2020
Cameron - 2021

Joyce - 2021
Starcevich - 2021
Robertson - 2021

Carlton
Cripps - 2021
SPS - 2021
Fisher - 2020

Collingwood
N/A

Essendon
Hooker - 2021

Geelong
Taylor - 2020
Narkle - 2020

GC
Sharp -2021

GWS
Langdon - 2020
De Boer - 2021
*Taylor - 2022
*Hill - 2022

Hawthorn
None

Melbourne
Jetta - 2021
Brayshaw (?) - 2022

North Melbourne
Zurhaar - 2020
Williams - 2020
Hayden - 2020

Port Adelaide
SPP - 2020 (?)

Richmond
Pickett - 2020
English - 2020

St Kilda
Marsh - 2020
Mayo - 2020
Ryder - 2020

Sydney
Taylor - 2021
Warner - 2021

Western Bulldogs
None
That's generally interesting because nobody genuinely good is OOC. Maybe getting someone who is in contract or somebody not that good? Maybe they are not West Australian?

FYI Zurhaar re-signed last year for 2 more.

That's generally interesting because nobody genuinely good is OOC. Maybe getting someone who is in contract or somebody not that good? Maybe they are not West Australian?

FYI Zurhaar re-signed last year for 2 more.
Booooo, makes the list even less exciting.

Yeah, there's just not much there this year or even next really - Cripps is not realistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Booooo, makes the list even less exciting.

Yeah, there's just not much there this year or even next really - Cripps is not realistic
There are plenty of players I would take, but none I'd consider a big/good name except Cripps and Cameron. Cripps I agree has a line through him but Cameron was complaining in the media the other day about not getting enough money. Can only hope.

If it is SPP I am going to hunt you down Snuff. I am hoping for iHill.

There are plenty of players I would take, but none I'd consider a big/good name except Cripps and Cameron. Cripps I agree has a line through him but Cameron was complaining in the media the other day about not getting enough money. Can only hope.

If it is SPP I am going to hunt you down Snuff. I am hoping for iHill.
Specific wording was "over-east" so assume we are safe, even if Adelaide is technically East =)

Adelaide
N/A

Brisbane
Rich - 2021
Cox - 2020
Cameron - 2021

Joyce - 2021
Starcevich - 2021
Robertson - 2021

Carlton
Cripps - 2021
SPS - 2021
Fisher - 2020

Collingwood
N/A

Essendon
Hooker - 2021

Geelong
Taylor - 2020
Narkle - 2020

GC
Sharp -2021

GWS
Langdon - 2020
De Boer - 2021
*Taylor - 2022
*Hill - 2022

Hawthorn
None

Melbourne
Jetta - 2021
Brayshaw (?) - 2022

North Melbourne
Williams - 2020
Hayden - 2020

Port Adelaide
SPP - 2020 (?)

Richmond
Pickett - 2020
English - 2020

St Kilda
Marsh - 2020
Mayo - 2020
Ryder - 2020

Sydney
Taylor - 2021
Warner - 2021

Western Bulldogs
None

CARLTON Football Club has secured the signature of exciting youngster Zac Fisher, who has extended his current contract agreement.

The 19-year-old will remain in the navy blue until at least the end of 2021.

CARLTON Football Club has secured the signature of exciting youngster Zac Fisher, who has extended his current contract agreement.

The 19-year-old will remain in the navy blue until at least the end of 2021.

If Zac Fisher was the big/good player, I’d be very disappointed.

Adelaide
N/A

Brisbane
Rich - 2021
Cox - 2020
Cameron - 2021

Joyce - 2021
Starcevich - 2021
Robertson - 2021

Carlton
Cripps - 2021
SPS - 2021
Fisher - 2021

Collingwood
N/A

Essendon
Hooker - 2021

Geelong
Taylor - 2020
Narkle - 2020

GC
Sharp -2021

GWS
Langdon - 2020
De Boer - 2021
*Taylor - 2022
*Hill - 2022

Hawthorn
None

Melbourne
Jetta - 2021
Brayshaw (?) - 2022

North Melbourne
Williams - 2020
Hayden - 2020

Port Adelaide
SPP - 2020 (?)

Richmond
Pickett - 2020
English - 2020

St Kilda
Marsh - 2020
Mayo - 2020
Ryder - 2020

Sydney
Taylor - 2021
Warner - 2021

Western Bulldogs
None
Being contracted really doesn’t seem to matter that much anymore. I reckon we will be going all in on cripps, but I doubt he is gettable. Then again nor was lachie neale.

Being contracted really doesn’t seem to matter that much anymore. I reckon we will be going all in on cripps, but I doubt he is gettable.
Yeah, its why I used through to 2021, 2021 is just as gettable as 2020 to me.

2022 almost impossible unless the landscape has changed considerably.

Who is the last player traded in by freo that can be considered truly successful? I’d say Brad Hill and he’s still gone again, albeit in exchange effectively for Serong and Acres. Hamlings been decent (but now facing a serious injury question). We don’t trade well. So many meh trades recently. Bennell, McCarthy, matera, Wilson, Hogan, Colyer, Conca, kersten, Sylvia, gumbelton, we can keep going back. Imagine we packaged all those guys up and went to the draft instead. Jeez.
Unless someone decent falls into our lap cheaply (like Aish last year) I don’t want to see any first or second round picks going out the door for any of those listed above.
keep going back to the draft and loading up on elite talent. It’s the only way to go for us long term.
We have traded out plenty of players who became AA and B&F winners but the last traded in freo player to win an AA was McPharlin or Bell. Don’t think there’s been another in 25 years.

We can discussing the value of one Connor Blakely on this thread after he couldn't get a game this week. Will do well to get on the park all season now I’d imagine. Late second rounder?

Who is the last player traded in by freo that can be considered truly successful? I’d say Brad Hill and he’s still gone again, albeit in exchange effectively for Serong and Acres. Hamlings been decent (but now facing a serious injury question). We don’t trade well. So many meh trades recently. Bennell, McCarthy, matera, Wilson, Hogan, Colyer, Conca, kersten, Sylvia, gumbelton, we can keep going back. Imagine we packaged all those guys up and went to the draft instead. Jeez.
Unless someone decent falls into our lap cheaply (like Aish last year) I don’t want to see any first or second round picks going out the door for any of those listed above.
keep going back to the draft and loading up on elite talent. It’s the only way to go for us long term.
We have traded out plenty of players who became AA and B&F winners but the last traded in freo player to win an AA was McPharlin or Bell. Don’t think there’s been another in 25 years.
So we just stop trading because we haven’t been very good at it? We need more experienced talent. Brisbane have shown how to do it. We have plenty of young guns. Previously we’ve had to almost take whoever would come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back