List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Even better would be our first & Brayshaw

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cripps wants to be aggressive, ball or player. It's something missing from our midfield, and will get worse with
Fyfe a lone soldier, ageing.
After 2015 the MC has tried to create an attacking midfield, more skilled, we have an abundance of mids who can't get a game, played as flankers. Waste of time, unbalanced list and one way runners.
JLo needs to bottle Josh Carr's style, and remove the dead wood of the 2016-2020 era.
I won't concede on Brayshaw, Cerra, until this is rectified ie Acres, Valente, Banfield, are in rotations.
Serong playing is a tick for me, but we need him forward/mid aswell.

You can't sign Taylor by telling him he is first choice though because we already have all 3 KPD spots taken. None of them would be happy to warm the bench waiting for the inevitable injuries either. That's why I don't think it is him, we don't need 4 high quality KPDs because you can't play them all.

Same principle with DGB.

Not to mention we seem to cope okay with two of them, even one of them and Cox. Ryan and Hughes are probably more suited as third talls than rebounders as both are nothing special with ball in hand.

Maybe ruck aside, talls aren’t the reason we’re losing. We’re short a bit of depth in key defenders for sure but that’s something for later in the draft - probably a guy from the state leagues.

Wouldn’t be against us trading our second rounder for a decent ruck though. Would mean a bit of competition in that position rather than just Darcy and reverting to Lobb when Darcy is injured/not performing.

Inside mids and small forwards are a massive issue yet half this board seems more concerned about covering for injuries, which the team seems to be doing alright at anyway.

Of those we’d play from the midfield/forward only Acres, Henry and Switta (maybe Blakely) are upgrades on what was named either of the last two weeks. Handful of first and second year players that may come good as well but they’re no where near it at this stage and may never be.

Not to mention we seem to cope okay with two of them, even one of them and Cox. Ryan and Hughes are probably more suited as third talls than rebounders as both are nothing special with ball in hand.

Maybe ruck aside, talls aren’t the reason we’re losing. We’re short a bit of depth in key defenders for sure but that’s something for later in the draft - probably a guy from the state leagues.

Wouldn’t be against us trading our second rounder for a decent ruck though. Would mean a bit of competition in that position rather than just Darcy and reverting to Lobb when Darcy is injured/not performing.

Inside mids and small forwards are a massive issue yet half this board seems more concerned about covering for injuries, which the team seems to be doing alright at anyway.

Of those we’d play from the midfield/forward only Acres, Henry and Switta (maybe Blakely) are upgrades on what was named either of the last two weeks. Handful of first and second year players that may come good as well but they’re no where near it at this stage and may never be.
I think if lists are going to reduce then carrying more than 3 rucks is unlikely.

Agree on small forwards. Need to draft some quality natural small forwards.

I think if lists are going to reduce then carrying more than 3 rucks is unlikely.

Agree on small forwards. Need to draft some quality natural small forwards.

On the rucks I do agree but if Meek isn’t good enough to be considered depth then perhaps we take the hit on one list spot for a year.

Hopefully list cuts don’t happen. Would make our list management quite easy tbh. List cuts and contracts would make it quite messy.

On the rucks I do agree but if Meek isn’t good enough to be considered depth then perhaps we take the hit on one list spot for a year.

Hopefully list cuts don’t happen. Would make our list management quite easy tbh. List cuts and contracts would make it quite messy.
I would hope by next year Meek is getting to the point where you can play him and I think that is reasonable. Another pre-season.

You can't sign Taylor by telling him he is first choice though because we already have all 3 KPD spots taken. None of them would be happy to warm the bench waiting for the inevitable injuries either. That's why I don't think it is him, we don't need 4 high quality KPDs because you can't play them all.

Same principle with DGB.
If DGB is like Naughton, I have no issue with taking him top 10. If Taylor is only a KPD, then We have a surplus.
Tilthorpe is another that could play dual roles, and what I'm trying to say is that our forward or ruck positions
are an enigma.
If Hogan comes good, if Tabs can step up, Lobb, Darcy. At least Logue, Cox have shown something down back.

Same principle with DGB.
DGB is the best WA talent.

Happy with him to play reserve key position for 4 years until Hamling retires.

Hamling, Pearce and Logue has all been injured for long stretches.

I can't even remember the last time Hamling, Logue and Pearce played together.

Can’t see us taking anymore than 3 in the draft with the list reductions. Western and Walker being walk up starts. That leaves our first pick. Happy to trade it down in a trade as long as we stay in the first round.

Walker is the problem. If he strings zones games together then his stocks will rise very quickly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If DGB is like Naughton, I have no issue with taking him top 10. If Taylor is only a KPD, then We have a surplus.
Tilthorpe is another that could play dual roles, and what I'm trying to say is that our forward or ruck positions
are an enigma.
If Hogan comes good, if Tabs can step up, Lobb, Darcy. At least Logue, Cox have shown something down back.
If by "like Naughton" you mean can play forward then I agree. Otherwise I don't.

Being from WA means very little to me. I want the player that improves us as a team the most and I don't care which state they are from.

You might be happy for him to sit in reserves for 4 years but I doubt he would. Suspect he will be good enough to play next year.

You don't use top 3 picks on depth.

Can’t see us taking anymore than 3 in the draft with the list reductions. Western and Walker being walk up starts. That leaves our first pick. Happy to trade it down in a trade as long as we stay in the first round.

Walker is the problem. If he strings zones games together then his stocks will rise very quickly

A lot of walker under the bridge.

We can trade out second round (originally Melbourne’s) for two third picks to get more points.

Western and Walker aren’t walk up starts unless they’re good.

If we have the space for three picks and we can get better players then we overlook them. They aren’t Liam Henry.

Walker would need to find a lot more ball this year to go before 25 you'd think. I reckon he goes between 30 and 40, mainly because he is NGA. Might go in the twenties if it was open.

Western and Walker aren’t walk up starts unless they’re good.

If we have the space for three picks and we can get better players then we overlook them. They aren’t Liam Henry.
I agree, but I think they are better prospects than others on our list.

If by "like Naughton" you mean can play forward then I agree. Otherwise I don't.

Being from WA means very little to me. I want the player that improves us as a team the most and I don't care which state they are from.

You might be happy for him to sit in reserves for 4 years but I doubt he would. Suspect he will be good enough to play next year.

You don't use top 3 picks on depth.
When you draft a first round pick you generally go for best talent first , then need and where they are from third.

Grainer-Barass is best talent. No reason not to draft him. Plus, you draft for a ten year player.

Their are a big questions over Pearce and Hamlings injuries.

Most talls take 4-5 years to develop.

Just rubbish to expect a young tall to be best 22 straight away in a good team. In a crap team, sure the kid plays as soon as possible.

Walker would need to find a lot more ball this year to go before 25 you'd think. I reckon he goes between 30 and 40, mainly because he is NGA. Might go in the twenties if it was open.

I agree, but I think they are better prospects than others on our list.
Walker’s production is very low but will has an AFL body.

Western is a tiny inside midfielder with high production.

When you draft a first round pick you generally go for best talent first , then need and where they are from third.

Grainer-Barass is best talent. No reason not to draft him. Plus, you draft for a ten year player.

Just rubbish to expect a young tall to be best 22 straight away in a good team. In a crap team, sure the kid plays as soon as possible.
If DGB was going to be a non contributor for 4 years I would pass. I would easily prefer another option who will play earlier. Pretty common these days for talls drafted to play early.

I also don’t believe that drafts have a fixed talent hierarchy of players, although accept that there is sometimes a clear pick 1 or 2. We just picked up Young from significantly beyond his draft projection, picked up Henry significantly before it, and past on Green and Robertson comfortably within their expected draft range despite them also meeting our (and other clubs) apparent needs.

A more realistic and common notion is a draft range, and given this season’s limited player exposure, is more certain to be how clubs view potential recruits.

There’s a genuine reason not to draft him being having three players that are capable of playing KPD at a high level and a number of others that can play the third tall role reasonably well.

It takes 4-5 years to develop a tall for sure but most good ones are playing significant amounts of AFL footy within their first two seasons. If there’s no spot there we have a first round draft pick running around at Peel whilst our midfield and small forwards continue to get smashed at AFL level...

It’s all great to say Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong are developing but even if they all become good players that midfield isn’t nearly deep enough.

I’m just also not convinced a key defender will be the best available at our pick.

Same principle with DGB.

You'd trade Taylor for Pierce ideally even though Alex is a much loved player by everyone

How can you pay a bloke who breaks his leg changing direction what his talent deserves

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes I agree you go best talent, but you'd need to convince me DGB is the best which is hard when we can't watch any of them play. I am not convinced that he is better than some of the others and if he is just as good then I am taking an equal talent in another position first.

I think where they are from is minor factor. It would be a tie-breaker to split like players.

Again, I wouldn't draft a top 3 defender to cover "big questions" over Hamling and Pearce. I would only do that if one or both had literally been written off as players and were very unlikely to make it back (say Harley or Mora levels).

Top end talls almost always play in their first year. Naughton, King, Weitering, Lukoscious, McAsey etc. So even though they won't hit their straps for 4-5, you still have to play them to develop.

It's not rubbish because teams generally don't have access to top 5 KPP talent aren't good teams. They had those picks because they were crap and play them to develop them. Max King probably doesn't get a game at Richmond it is true, but Richmond don't get a pick to take him in the first place.

You'd trade Taylor for Pierce ideally even though Alex is a much loved player by everyone

How can you pay a bloke who breaks his leg changing direction what his talent deserves

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
In a video game, sure. In real life I don't think it would do our culture any good to push AP out.

If he falls apart again in his next comeback then I think you look at it but it is awkward to do gracefully I feel.

I am actually perfectly happy with Cox being the 4th in line KPD anyway. Think he is easily capable of filling the whole and in time stepping up anyway.

It must be so difficult to be a talent recruiter, I could draft the most talented player of all time with the best attitude but if he takes three years to get to elite AFL levels I have been replaced by the person who picked a manchild midfielder who plays from round 1 the next season and gets 25 touches but very little impact on the game.

Yes I agree you go best talent, but you'd need to convince me DGB is the best which is hard when we can't watch any of them play. I am not convinced that he is better than some of the others and if he is just as good then I am taking an equal talent in another position first.

I think where they are from is minor factor. It would be a tie-breaker to split like players.

Again, I wouldn't draft a top 3 defender to cover "big questions" over Hamling and Pearce. I would only do that if one or both had literally been written off as players and were very unlikely to make it back (say Harley or Mora levels).

Top end talls almost always play in their first year. Naughton, King, Weitering, Lukoscious, McAsey etc. So even though they won't hit their straps for 4-5, you still have to play them to develop.

It's not rubbish because teams generally don't have access to top 5 KPP talent aren't good teams. They had those picks because they were crap and play them to develop them. Max King probably doesn't get a game at Richmond it is true, but Richmond don't get a pick to take him in the first place.

In a video game, sure. In real life I don't think it would do our culture any good to push AP out.

If he falls apart again in his next comeback then I think you look at it but it is awkward to do gracefully I feel.

I am actually perfectly happy with Cox being the 4th in line KPD anyway. Think he is easily capable of filling the whole and in time stepping up anyway.
Last championship, their won’t a lot of two year players compared with other years.

DGB was the second best performed players behind Holland.

My Counter argument that DGB shouldn’t draft by us because we have Hamling, Pearce and Logue is that Hamling won’t be on most in 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back